Author Topic: Giada De Laurentiis has class.  (Read 4819 times)

Lexophile

Giada De Laurentiis has class.
« on: June 27, 2013, 09:41:08 AM »
Apparently, Giada is getting all kinds of pressure from fans to stand up for Paula Deen. She is adamantly staying out of it.

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/blog--giada-de-laurentiis-not-taking-sides-in-deen-drama

While it is a shrewd business decision on her part not to take sides, I also think she is handling it with compassion and grace. I coul dhave taken or left her before this, but I'm a fan now.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

lowspark

Re: Giada De Laurentiis has class.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 10:12:41 AM »
Yeah, I think there are very few celebreties right now for whom it would be a good idea to take sides in this debacle. I think Giada did the best thing she could. Say nice things about Paula regarding their personal relationship and then back off by saying that she doesn't have all the facts. Good move.

cocacola35

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 10:16:56 AM »
Giada is right to stay out of this mess and I don't blame her.  It's unfortunate, but Giada is smart enough to see that by publicly taking sides she would be burning a lot of business and personal bridges.  There is too much at stake here.  Judging by the Food Network's hasty reaction to something Paula did 30 years ago, I bet they'd chop the head off anyone that sided with her as well.  (No pun intended) 

After reading her statement, I agree that she is handling this with grace and class.  I've been a fan of hers for a long time and this just makes me love her more. 

Hillia

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »
Giada is right to stay out of this mess and I don't blame her.  It's unfortunate, but Giada is smart enough to see that by publicly taking sides she would be burning a lot of business and personal bridges.  There is too much at stake here.  Judging by the Food Network's hasty reaction to something Paula did 30 years ago, I bet they'd chop the head off anyone that sided with her as well.  (No pun intended) 

After reading her statement, I agree that she is handling this with grace and class.  I've been a fan of hers for a long time and this just makes me love her more.

Paula's words and actions were a lot more recent than 30 years ago, and her son's show has not been cancelled by Food Network at this time.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

blahblahblah

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:51:07 AM »
While I understand why someone would want to stay out of it, I gotta say that I admire the chefs who have spoken out against her. This isn't just some minor feud/quibble. More people should take public stances against racism, IMO. 

Edward Lee (he was on season 9 of Top Chef) wrote a very thoughtful piece where he said that he had worked with Paula and knew her to be a warm, funny, friendly person, but that none of those qualities trumped racism. I thought he worded it very well; no excessive vitriol ("SHE NEEDS TO BURN IN HELL!!!!") or even any vitriol, really. But he made it clear that he thought what she had done was wrong and that there were no excuses for her behavior.

Lexophile

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 01:26:58 PM »

Paula's words and actions were a lot more recent than 30 years ago, and her son's show has not been cancelled by Food Network at this time.

Agreed. While many are trying to downplay the comments by focusing on some things she said a long time ago, more information is surfacing that indicates much more recent statements of an offensive nature.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

NyaChan

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 02:00:17 PM »
While I understand why someone would want to stay out of it, I gotta say that I admire the chefs who have spoken out against her. This isn't just some minor feud/quibble. More people should take public stances against racism, IMO. 

Edward Lee (he was on season 9 of Top Chef) wrote a very thoughtful piece where he said that he had worked with Paula and knew her to be a warm, funny, friendly person, but that none of those qualities trumped racism. I thought he worded it very well; no excessive vitriol ("SHE NEEDS TO BURN IN HELL!!!!") or even any vitriol, really. But he made it clear that he thought what she had done was wrong and that there were no excuses for her behavior.

Do you have a link?

blahblahblah

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 02:16:21 PM »
Do you have a link?
Here you go!

An excerpt: "Mrs. Deen was gracious, friendly and funny. Unfortunately, none of those qualities trumps racism. I am not an activist. I am just a cook who lives in the South. But my world encompasses many diverse peoples and races, and I know the hurt and the violence that can sting behind a few choice words, even said in jest."

He also sticks up for the South.

NyaChan

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »
Thanks!  That was a very thoughtful piece.  Go Ed!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 03:31:11 PM »

Agreed. I think it's kind of spineless not to say something at this point.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

lowspark

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 03:41:31 PM »
I don't think it's spineless. No matter which side you take, you're going to end up offending someone. I think Paula Dean has done quite a bit of damage to herself just by opening her mouth repeatedly. If I were in the public eye, I'd take a lesson from that and keep mine firmly closed.

Curious Cat

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 04:15:08 PM »
I disagree. I think saying nothing is tacitly condoning the things she said. As for the Food Network I read somewhere (I'll look for a link) that they had already been seriously considering not renewing her contract because her ratings have slipped quite a bit in the past year or so.

Found it - http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/a/SB10001424127887323998604578567832751771860?mg=reno64-wsj

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 04:49:56 PM by Curious Cat »

lowspark

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 04:53:28 PM »
I don't think it's condoning it as much as it is saying, "it's none of my business." I really don't where see someone like Giada has a dog in this race. I can't see it benefiting her in any way to comment. It can only hurt her. Are we asking every celebrity cook to comment on this? Make a judgment without knowing all the facts? Because really, I can't imagine Giada or any other celebrity knows anything more about this than we do and that's what they've read in the media.

Regarding her ratings on the food network, I read that in the Wall Street Journal.

AngelicGamer

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 04:54:57 PM »
Was it this one?: Paula Deen's Other Problem: Stale Ratings from Wall Street Journal.

I do wonder if they would have dropped her even if this hadn't come up.  It does seem convenient but it also fits with how they've dealt with other cooking stars having public issues.  Robert Irvine did get fired for lying about his resume for a time.  If memory serves me right, he apologized immediately and did actually go away for a time to let everything cool down.  Now he's back with Restaurant Impossible and doing a Last Chance Kitchen thing for the show Food Network Star. 

Going back on topic, I completely agree with the OP about Giada.  She's being really smart and a bit classy with how she's doing this.  I also think Bobby Flay did a good job of not saying anything when he was on (I think) Good Morning America. 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

EllenS

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 05:18:52 PM »
This: "I don't know what happened. So, I'm not gonna make a comment based on ignorance."

I think the world would be a better place if the media didn't try to make news out of the opinions of people who have no firsthand knowledge of a situation.  I think Ms. DeLaurentiis has been around show business long enough to know that people "pressuring" her to make a public comment have no interest in social justice, or fairness, or anything else other than making a story out of her.

And she does not want to be used that way.  Good for her.