Author Topic: When I'm sick of my day job, I'm going to...  (Read 2558 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
When I'm sick of my day job, I'm going to...
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:40:00 PM »
I say this all the time:

"When I'm sick of publishing, I'm going to..."

Sometimes (because I have decided that "pipe-dreaming" is an completely acceptable hobby) I get very detailed in the planning. And sometimes they're completely silly.

Here are my schemes:

-start a summer day camp for 12+ (who don't have day camps available to them anymore) to teach them how to sew.
I'll use my church's fellowship hall (affiliate with them); partner w/ sewing-machine & fabric stores (or repair places) to get them publicity and some sales in exchange for help w/ equipment and supplies and field trips; round up used machines or ask the students to bring their own (so they get used to using them); set up and break down the tables (kids can do it!); start off making kids' clothes (to send to the orphanage my church sponsors) since they're smaller and go faster; take them to the Y twice a week to go swimming.

-move upstate and start a pedigree mutt breeding business.
I'll select my dams and sires for traits like: house-trains easily; healthy, long-lived stock; good with kids; very loyal; barks/doesn't bark. People will come to get a dog because they want one of those traits.

-Start a company called The Handy Housewife.
I'll have to move to dense suburbs to make this financially feasible. People will sign on and pay a retainer that gets them a guaranteed half-day stop each month, in which I do things like sew the fringe back on the rug so it doesn't get worse, or oil the hinge, etc. We'll assess whether they need bigger jobs or not. If so, I'll round up and supervise the plumber/painter. I can cook (or be the caterer's assistant for your dinner party), clean, sew, paint, put up shelves, do basic handyman stuff, and supervise your more skilled pros. I'll probably have to round up some other people.
   I've got the truck all planned out--sewing/household supplies in one section, tools, etc., in the other.
   I'm going to write an iPhone/Android app that my clients can use to send me handyman/housewife stuff the moment they think of it, and I can review before I head over to their place so I can be sure I have the right tools, supplies (paint color), etc.

What about you?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: When I'm sick of my day job, I'm going to...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 12:50:52 PM »
I'd like to start up a large community/food bank garden so people who are dependent on food banks can get some nice, healthy, fresh veggies.

I'd have to buy a couple of lots or ask the city if I could use some empty lots, or even use their property in places.  In each spot, I'd designate half of it into plots that people could rent to grow their own veggies.  Then I'd use the money to buy seed and plants to plant the rest of the lot with veggies I could donate to the food bank.  If there were people who wanted their own plot but couldn't afford to rent it, I'd ask for some sweat equity, working in the food bank plot.

I might ask the city to donate compost and maybe some heavy equipment and operators to create the plots at the beginning.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cwm

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:41:49 PM »
Travel the globe. Or at least Europe. I have a planned hiking trip through England, Scotland and Wales that should only take me a few months.

Barring that, go back to Alaska. Live off the grid.

Hike the Applachian Trail.

Eschew society and live in the wilderness. If all else fails, I'll be a guide to other people with much more money than me and show them things they'd never find otherwise.

Unless this whole pipe dream my BF and his friend have works out. We'll have an arcade and write our own games. Computer games, RPGs, card games, the whole gamut.

Quiltin Nana

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:55:43 PM »
I want to sell shave ice on the beaches of Maui. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 02:00:05 PM »
When I get my PhD, I am going to have my own psychology practice. After doing that for 10 years, I want to work part time and spend my off time in the town where we want to retire. I hope that we can buy the land in the next ten years, ideally half valley property with a stream and the other half trailing up a mountain. Ideally, we would build a farmhouse in the valley for three seasons and a cabin up the mountain for the winter. I want to build a barn, a bunkhouse, and a duplex cottage with two in-law suites (complete kitchen, living space and bedrooms on each side). Eventually, we would like to have inner-city children come spend a week living on a small scale farm in the summer, play outside in the evening and pick their own dinner. That is our real world plan.

If I lucked into $$$, our plans would accelerate. I would buy the piece of property near my housing complex and turn it into a park and community garden. There are no parks within a 3 mile radius of our home. We would establish our own charity to provide after-school activities and tutoring gratis for underprivileged children and camps in the summer. In our area, homelessness is epidemic, even with families, so we would like to buy one of the old and run-down communities near us and renovate the homes for families to live in.

I want to work 4 days at my practice and spend the fifth working with sufferers of PTSD and attachment disorder pro bono.

Amara

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »
Buy a beautiful home in another state (Oregon? Washington? Connecticut? Somewhere else?), which is not that large but has lovely grounds, ideally at least two acres. It will also have room for me to have chickens, goats, maybe a couple of sheep, more cats, and a 200-yard swimming pool (for me, not the animals). I don't have to deal with work colleagues of whom I am heartily sick today.

IMissItaly

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 03:32:14 PM »
I want to work at the panda day care facility in China.  ;D

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 05:45:45 PM »
Okay.  I'm retired and loved being a librarian. 

However, I wouldn't mind starting a new career as a crossword puzzle tester.  ;D

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 06:45:15 PM »
I thought it would be a good and useful idea to have a free advocacy service to help people who are applying for public assistance to get through the system.  My experience was that the few people in the community who did this often approached it in an adversarial manner, maybe because they got involved after the fact when things had already gone awry.  My plan would be to make my services known to the agency so they could refer people for help with forms, etc, as needed.  It could make a better more efficient experience for both the applicant and the person doing the work on the agency's end.   
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 07:24:12 PM »
I really love the handy housewife idea. I bet that could work in the right area.

I’ve always liked the idea of running a small boarding stable. My friend Alice and I have expanded the idea to make a farm commune for aged and/or abandoned people and pets. She’ll take care of the people, I’ll take care of the animals, and we’ll all take care of each other.

Also, my BFF and i are going to retire to a fancy schmancy retirement place and ride around in golf carts in our snazzy bedazzled jogging suits. Husbands have been warned they can come or not but we've been planning this since 7th grade.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 07:26:23 PM by hobish »
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 08:56:51 PM »
When I was working The Hospital Job From Hell TM I used to joke to other staff members that when I finally did switch jobs, it would be to something much less stressful. When asked what that would be, I'd answer, "Defusing bombs."
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 09:06:26 PM »
I want to buy a farm and open a cat sanctuary (altho I will take all animals).  I would have a vet, a groomer, and lots of people to work with these poor unwanted animals. 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 09:16:38 PM »
Open a small french bakery in an island paradise.  I would also like to own a B&B in a vacation destination as well.  I wanna live on a beach somewhere...anywhere.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 09:58:03 PM »
I have a few!

I'll open a store selling infused vodka.  My BFF will open a vodka bar next door, selling shots of the flavors I have, so people can try before they buy!  We figure we'll have to open inside an existing mall, to take advantage of security officers already in place. 

Start a dessert bar - a small place that sells warm desserts, with drinks and such available.  I always seem to end up wanting a brownie or a warm chocolate chip cookie after dinner when I don't have any such thing available.  I figure other people must feel like this too!

If we win the lottery, we're buying a home or resort share on an island in the Caribbean that we can visit whenever we want in the winter.  I like snow and cold and wind, just in moderation.  After a few weeks, I'm ready for a change!  My "job" will be to manage the various households we have, and make sure our dog is okay with all of them. 

Waterlight

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 12:59:07 AM »
Travel the globe. Or at least Europe. I have a planned hiking trip through England, Scotland and Wales that should only take me a few months.

Barring that, go back to Alaska. Live off the grid.

Hike the Applachian Trail.

Eschew society and live in the wilderness. If all else fails, I'll be a guide to other people with much more money than me and show them things they'd never find otherwise.

Great to meet another hiker here!  I did literally get sick of my day job (a flare-up of a chronic illness due to severe work stress that left me unable to work at all for two months, and led to my losing the job because my employer at the time was unwilling to make the accommodations I would have needed to return to work) 7 years ago.

In the four months after that that I was unemployed, as my health improved, I spent a lot of time traveling... not long trips, just day trips to cool places where I could hike.  There's lots of great hiking within only two hours or less of Seattle.

I'm working again; I temped for a while and then started a full-time job in 2008 that ended because the agency I was working for closed for good earlier this month.  I start a new job on Monday.

But if/when I'm ever in a position to quit the ol' day job, I plan to do a few things:

1.  There's a state park a two-hour bus ride from Seattle that's my favorite place to hike (Wallace Falls State Park:  http://www.parks.wa.gov/parks/?selectedpark=Wallace%20Falls&subject=all).  You'll probably be able to see why from the pictures ;)  There are long-range plans to extend the existing trail system in the park.  I would:

A. go on work parties to build/rebuild those trails;
B. serve as a trail guide and lead hikes down the trails I helped build.

2.  Spend a lot of time writing:  poetry, short stories, screenplays.
“The best lightning rod for your protection is your own spine.”--Ralph Waldo Emerson