Author Topic: When I'm sick of my day job, I'm going to...  (Read 2464 times)

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
Re: When I'm sick of my day job, I'm going to...
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 05:41:27 PM »
When I was a teenager, my friend and I had a very elaborate plan to buy a huge amount of acreage somewhere in the Rockies and teach people survival skills.  How to hunt, dress and cook your food.  We would hire someone who was a blacksmith to teach that skill.  We would teach how to navigate by dead reckoning and by the stars.  Things like that.  We had plans of the entire compound drawn up and everything! 

I have no idea why we thought this would be a good idea for us - neither of us had much skill of our own in these areas and we were both city girls, without any experience in surviving without a grocery store, gas station and Walmart/Target nearby!  It was great fun planning the whole thing out though, and probably did more to keep us out of trouble than any lectures from our parents. 

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2013, 12:21:47 AM »
I'd become a bellydancing canine search and rescue expert.

Or I'd open a bar- the kind I'd like to hang out in. One room would be the quiet room, where you could sit and read and drink- no talking allowed! One would have a bandstage and dance floor, offering either live music or a DJ. A couple of private rooms for parties. A game room with pool tables and room for D&D or other gamers to play. A main room with lots of cozy alcoves, and quiet big band jazz playing. A limited food menu that isn't all wings and nachos. 
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »
I'm marrying a rich man and moving to Fiji where I will have a beach stand and sell smoothies.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2013, 11:03:08 AM »
Oh, I forgot one!

I'm going to start a company that makes items for museum gift shops. items that are more closely linked to the stuff that's actually *IN* that museum.

Like in the Museum of Natural History, there's a big display of clear-ish plastic models of amoeba or sea creatures. I'm going to make tiny versions as Christmas tree ornaments.

Or the beautiful alabaster vasel; I'll make an exact copy. Two--one in alabaster, and one in resin that's less expensive.

Every museum I go to, I pick out stuff that should be made into a gift-shop item. They never have anything close.

The Metropolitan Museum of Art here in NYC has some that are pretty good. But they're the only ones.

I'd love that! My friend and I went to the Museum of Natural History and wanted to buy "best friend" dinosaur necklaces. All the kids necklaces in the gift shop were dolphins or lady bugs or other "girly" things. Girls like dinosaurs too!

Girlie

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »
I want to be the person who gets paid to determine if children's and young adult books are any good. I'd do it just for the collection and knowledge building, but to get paid as well? That would be awesome. :)

Beyond that, I think I'd like to be the person who gets paid to write advice columns. That could be a challenging job, but you'd get to feel like you were really helping people, too. 

heartmug

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2013, 01:32:32 PM »
I am going to write the next great American novel.  I want to write and write and write without worrying about a paycheck needing to come in.  Sigh.  Retirement.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2013, 02:14:40 PM »
I am going to write the next great American novel.  I want to write and write and write without worrying about a paycheck needing to come in.  Sigh.  Retirement.

And me, someday I will copyedit the great American novel!
http://www.theonion.com/articles/someday-i-will-copyedit-the-great-american-novel,11121/

We'll have to stay in touch.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2013, 02:19:55 PM »

Camp Nano starts today!