Author Topic: Why did I buy that?!  (Read 2785 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Why did I buy that?!
« on: June 27, 2013, 11:22:30 PM »
 ???
Ever buy anything and then wonder why?
I know I've done that more than once, but what I am thinking of now is the World Series pin I bought at a thrift store with the intention of giving it to a fanatical baseball fan whose team is the Giant's.  I know nothing of baseball and didn't know who even played in 2002, so that year on the pin meant little to me.  However, out of curiosity I looked it up online and found out that it is from the year the Giants lost to the Angels.  Whoops!!!! I decided not to give her the pin.  I guess I'll give it to an angels fan or take it back to the thrift store.  :-[
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: Why did I buy that?!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 11:29:44 PM »
Well, the Giants did win the World Series last year, so you can say you were hanging on to it for a decade ;).

As for me, a copy of Chairman Mao's Little Red Book-in Chinese.  I also bought an English version.  At first glance it's a "what do I want this for?", but I'd never find it here, obviously.   That, and my "I Climbed A Wall" T-shirt that's way too thin to wear in public.  Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do  ;D!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »
Everybody has bought something that prompts the question, 'Where were my eyes/brain?'

I've had a few.  The most memorable was in 1971 when I visited what was then the Soviet Union.  Back in those days, travelers in the family HAD to bring back tribute to certain relatives. 

In one of the shops for tourists that took only foreign currency, I found beautiful sets of wooden cutting boards with chip-carved decoration and a matching rack.  It was just perfect for my Mother's newly decorated kitchen.  Aunt X would also love a set. 

The racks were a good meter long and then there were the boards to pack.  Believe me, you cannot fold wood to jam it into the corners of a suitcase. 

The gifts were appreciated but I have no idea how I managed to get them home. 

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 10:25:36 AM »
My sister did one of those 'why did I do that?' things when she went to India a few years ago. She was told, both by me and by the travel arranger (it was with her then-fiancee's work) that bringing back anything solid (large sculptures, especially) would be problematic, because customs often ended up smashing it to see if it was concealing contraband. He suggested that they bring back textiles, or small items, but not large ones (those he suggested having shipped by the sellers, who were accustomed to this, and because of that the customs people knew they were legitimate). She just HAD to have these silk covered boxes that opened to reveal a model of the Taj Mahal, done in plaster and lacquered. She bought three, and had them in her luggage when they left instead of shipping them. No, not a single one arrived in the US intact.

lowspark

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:15:32 AM »
Are you kidding? I have a house full of those things!  8)

I've been in decluttering mode for the past year and a half or so, and it's still ongoing as I go through every closet, drawer and shelf and slowly but surely either give it away, throw it away or sell it on ebay.

And yeah, I've said that about a thousand times now. Why did I buy that!? The funny thing is, I've been able to sell enough of it on ebay to know I'm not the only crazy-looney out there as people buy those very things from me.  ;D

Oh and Shopping Rule #1:
Don't shop after consuming alcohol. Ever.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:59:38 AM »
When I was a teenager, I had it in my head that I wanted a handheld TV.  Instead of the less expensive b&w, I brought the color for over $100 which was a lot to me back then (and even now).  I hardly used it back then and of course it's unusable now due to the digital switch.  The color wasn't even that good and was also a battery drainer. 

Another thing I brought (and this time, I wasn't even a silly teenager) was a designer coin purse for $.....(No, I'm too embarrassed to say how much) just because I liked the zipper :o ::).

SiotehCat

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 12:16:17 PM »
Last week I bought a troll at the Goodwill. She was sitting on an almost empty shelf, with a few Halloween themed items. I felt bad for her.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 12:46:15 PM »
That would give me nightmares. Maybe there's a reason it was isolated on the shelf? (okay, so I've been watching too many horror movies?).

SiotehCat

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 12:52:05 PM »
That would give me nightmares. Maybe there's a reason it was isolated on the shelf? (okay, so I've been watching too many horror movies?).

Heh. It turned out that I didn't have a good spot for it. So I put it on the desk by Dh's side of the bed. Just until I find the right spot. DH keeps complaining that it creeps him out. Yeah, at night, the troll gets kinda creepy

Kaypeep

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 12:52:35 PM »
Sio, that troll is hilarious.  From a distance, it kind of reminds me of when Gertie played dressup in the closet with E.T.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 12:59:07 PM »

Heh. It turned out that I didn't have a good spot for it. So I put it on the desk by Dh's side of the bed. Just until I find the right spot. DH keeps complaining that it creeps him out. Yeah, at night, the troll gets kinda creepy

Yeah, if I woke up to that I'd freak. But then the clown scene in Poltergeist gave me nightmares!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 02:01:35 PM »
Aww, I think the troll is adorable! She has that woebegone expression, like "Why doesn't anyone like me?" I would feel bad for her sitting on the shelf all alone too. :)

magicdomino

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 02:15:35 PM »
Last week I bought a troll at the Goodwill. She was sitting on an almost empty shelf, with a few Halloween themed items. I felt bad for her.

Awww, she's so ugly, she's cute.  I'd find her hard to resist too.  And I'd also be wondering what to do with her once I got her home. 

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 07:26:11 PM »
I can't resist Christmas stuff, especially when it starts getting marked down after the holidays.  I have probably 50 boxes of lights, ornaments, light up villages, etc., as well as a closet full of wrapping supplies.

Red jar candles are my greatest weakness.  I have over 100 that sit on a lonely shelf most of the year.  Last night the power went out for five hours, and I lit every one of them.  It made me very happy.
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 03:46:28 AM »
Why did I buy that nice low fat sausage that I love so much yesterday if I were just going to throw it into the sink and leave it there for about 7 hours?
I did a little fridge cleaning when I was putting the left over Chinese food away this evening and in the process put the empty containers and some other stuff into the sink to be disposed of later by dh.  He's doing that right now and just came in and asked if i were throwing the sausage away.  He found it in the sink under the other stuff.  Where was my brain!  Darn!  No sausage for me for breakfast! 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.