Author Topic: Etsy order question (long - sorry!)  (Read 3057 times)

Eeep!

Etsy order question (long - sorry!)
« on: June 27, 2013, 11:59:29 PM »
Hi all. I have a question for you lovely folks about how to handle a less the ideal etsy experience.
I have only made a few other etsy purchases and they went great so this is my first time not being satisfied.

I ordered a set of two barrettes that had a superhero emblem on them. I had a few specific questions about timing and so I messaged the seller a couple times. I had a bit of a problem getting some responses but I thought it was from issues with messaging from my phone but now I'm not so sure. Anyway, my main concern was that I was ordering them as a birthday gift for someone to whom I needed to mail the gift so I wanted to make sure that I had time to do so. (Birthday on July 1.) In our conversation I mentioned that if the timing got too close I might have her send them directly to the birthday girl. When I placed my actual order I also put in the message that I would like her to let me know when they were ready and I would tell her where to ship them.

Fast forward to last week: I receive the Paypal notification that the item has shipped. Well thanks for completely ignoring my request for notification. Based on the tracking info, the package wasn't due to arrive until today (June 27th) so it would be cutting it close to turn around and mail it, probably  requiring more expensive shipping.

I ended up getting them yesterday and was able to mail them Priority Mail so the present will get there just in time. But that's cutting it too close for my liking. So that's my first complaint.

Second complaint: the barrettes that arrived are identical. Which means that if you put them one on each side of your head - as you would for a pair - one of them will be upside down. And since it has an emblem on it, this is a real problem. I am so bummed. But with the birthday issue I sent them anyway hoping that they can be used with pigtails where they are more for decoration so the direction of the clip is less important. But this still really limits the use if the barrettes.

And if you made it through all that, my question: in light of the fact that I was able to make the timing work and the fact that I am keeping them, can I still complain or leave negative feedback?
And what is the proper etiquette - should I message the seller first?
I really feel like people should know about the clip orientation as it really is a problem with these particular barrettes.
So do any of you have advice? Is there specific etsy "rules" I should know about?
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Re: Etsy order question (long - sorry!)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 12:38:21 AM »
Attempt one more time to e mail the seller.  If you don't have a response in 24 hours, leave a negative feed back.  Look closely at the pictures on the sellers website to see if you notice the barrettes being painted the same way, thus making 1 wrong.  If not, then make sure the seller knows (altho a decent seller on etsy should be aware of mistakes).  The seller should offer you one correctly done barrette or a partial refund IMO. 

Possum

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 01:45:44 AM »
If you got an item, it is as described, and it was shipped within the timeframe on the listing, negative feedback is not appropriate.  Do not leave it.

However, neutral feedback might be in order.

Some more details might help here.  How far in advance of your need did you make the purchase?  How long did it take for the barrettes to be mailed, and was it within the time frame promised on the listing?  Were the barrettes sold as a pair, or singly, and you bought two?  Did the listing say anything about which side of the head it might be for?   (I know of at least one superhero barrette seller who does specify it's for one certain side, unless you request otherwise.)  How many times did you attempt to contact her, and in what time frame?  (Four in a day, two in a week, etc.)  Did you attempt to use the computer as well as the phone?  Because the Etsy app is buggy. :/

If she went outside her mailing time frame, then that's not good.  But if she was within the promised time frame, then she has not earned anything less than positive feedback.  It's always great when a seller *can* speed up a shipment for you, but it's not always possible, nor is it required; that's why the time frame is given on the listings.

If the barrettes were sold in a pair, you have every right to contact her with your concern.  She may have done it on accident, so be neutral.  "I noticed they were both for the left side of the head.  Since they were a gift, I didn't have to contact you about it, but I thought you'd want to know.  Do you have any for the other side of the head?  Can we work something out?"  If she can't or won't help you out, this would earn her a neutral feedback, or if she ignores you, maybe a negative.  (I'd still go with neutral if the barrettes were otherwise as described.)

If they're sold singly and you purchased multiples, sadly, that's one of those things where sides might not occur to you until you get them, but it's not the seller's obligation to make sure you think about it, either.  Chalk it up to experience.  However, you'd be fine in contacting the seller with something like, "Hey, it didn't even occur to me they might both be for the same side--in future listings, would you offer left/right as a variation?  It might help someone else from making the same mistake I made!" (And with the new Variations, it's incredibly simple to do, at no extra cost.)  And maybe ask if she can cut you a deal on a pair made for the other side.  Then your recipient can wear them properly and have a backup pair!

And if they're sold singly and it states "For X side of the head, request for Y side," then the seller has no burden at all here.

In short: If they were sold as a pair and you got two for the same side, contact the seller and explain what happened; it's probably an oversight.  See if you work something out.  If she won't, or doesn't respond to you, it's neutral, maybe negative, feedback time.  Explain it in the feedback: "Ordered a pair, but they were for the same side.  Tried to contact seller to rectify, but seller did not respond after 3 days.  However, they were well made, shipped on time, and quite lovely."

If they were sold singly, it's a life lesson for you, but letting the seller know about your confusion--in a polite way--might help *them* help future customers.  And as long as they shipped within the time frame specified on the listing, and the items were as described, she has earned a positive feedback.  You can always note the poor communication in the feedback text.

Otterpop

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 02:59:26 AM »
Ooooh I hate it when they do that with earrings.  It looks so much nicer to have mirror images on left and right ears.  Contact the seller, explain the problem and see if he/she can fix it (send another).  If they wont do it gratis, maybe a discount?  Won't know until you ask.

z_squared82

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 09:39:37 AM »
I'd leave neutral feedback, and list exactly why, focusing on the lack of response to questions asked and it not being shipped to the correct address.

Only mention the dirction of the clips if the picture showed two clips, specifically one for each side of the head.

(As an Etsy seller, I can tell you neutral is just as nearly as negative, but less spiteful.)

Eeep!

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »
Thanks everyone! The barrettes were sold as a pair. So while it didn't say left/right side, I would assume that would be the way most people would wear a pair of barrettes. :)
Also, in the pictures, you can't see the direction of the alligator clips because they have ribbon bows that obscure the actual clip.

Regarding the shipping, they did come within the time frame indicated, but she never contacted me - as I had requested twice - so that I could tell her WHERE to ship them, she just shipped them. Maybe shipping to an alternate address isn't done that often with Etsy?

I think I will try the nice "I was really surprised to find that the barrettes were identical" route and see what she says.

Regarding the contact issues, since someone else says that it can be buggy, I think I will chalk it up to issues with me doing it on my phone, as that really did seem to be the pattern - she wouldn't respond until I messaged from my computer. (she said it wasn't showing as new in her inbox.)

I will let you know and thanks again!
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

z_squared82

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 01:38:31 PM »
For future reference, when you purchase something, there's a place to put "Notes". We sellers see that when we print out the order. You can write, "Please ship to this address, please..." I've had buyer(s) do that.

Eeep!

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 02:07:54 PM »
For future reference, when you purchase something, there's a place to put "Notes". We sellers see that when we print out the order. You can write, "Please ship to this address, please..." I've had buyer(s) do that.

I did do that! I mentioned it in our email conversation and then I put it specifically in that section.  >:(

Possum

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 02:30:29 PM »
Thanks everyone! The barrettes were sold as a pair. So while it didn't say left/right side, I would assume that would be the way most people would wear a pair of barrettes. :)
Also, in the pictures, you can't see the direction of the alligator clips because they have ribbon bows that obscure the actual clip.
Then you are perfectly in line to expect a left/right combo instead of left/left.  If she can't or won't try to make it right, then she has not earned a positive feedback.
Regarding the shipping, they did come within the time frame indicated, but she never contacted me - as I had requested twice - so that I could tell her WHERE to ship them, she just shipped them. Maybe shipping to an alternate address isn't done that often with Etsy?
Besides being more confusing to the seller, the danger of shipping to an alternate address is that I manage to figure out Eeep's passwords, then I go in and buy stuff that I have shipped to my address several states away.  It's not a large enough purchase for law enforcement to want to pursue it, but it's still out of someone's pocket--yours or the seller's.  (On eBay, I will *never* ship to another address.)  There's also scams involving third-party addresses; while barrettes aren't big enough money to really be at risk, you never know when some kid will want to try one out. 

Thus, a lot of sellers will only ship to the address provided at check out.  If you do need it shipped to a third-party address, always try to contact the seller first, or temporarily change your Etsy address to that address, make the purchase, and then switch it back before your next one. (You may be able to use multiple addresses, actually, like Amazon does.)
Regarding the contact issues, since someone else says that it can be buggy, I think I will chalk it up to issues with me doing it on my phone, as that really did seem to be the pattern - she wouldn't respond until I messaged from my computer. (she said it wasn't showing as new in her inbox.)
I did do that! I mentioned it in our email conversation and then I put it specifically in that section. 
Speaking as a seller, it can be really easy to miss that section. :/  You don't get a special notification for it, you just have to make sure to look.  And yeah, the app can be really buggy.  If you're buying something with options or variations, it doesn't even let you pick them.  I don't think it even shows them to you!  I would hesitate to downgrade feedback based on communication if everything else was as expected, especially if it might've been the app's fault. 

redcat

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 03:16:05 PM »
When you asked the vendor to let you know when she would ship them so you could specify where to send them... did she actually agree to do that?  Or did you take a lack of response as agreement?

MrTango

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 03:19:20 PM »
I would leave negative feedback regarding the shipping issue.  You made a specific request to be contacted prior to shipping, and that request was ignored.

z_squared82

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 04:34:45 PM »

I did do that! I mentioned it in our email conversation and then I put it specifically in that section.  >:(

Oh, well then they fail and totally deserve the neutral feedback. You can't ignore the notes! (Seriously, they're right under the address. You've got to be blind.)

kitchcat

• Flickr
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 07:30:51 PM »
As an etsy seller, I really don't think you should leave negative feedback, or even neutral for that matter. You said you messaged the seller with your shipping requests, but you never said what the seller's response was. Did she acknowledge or agree to your requests? If you just put the request to ship the purchase to a different address in the message with order or after the fact, you didn't give the seller any opportunity to reject the request.

Also, the way the system works for the seller, it can be difficult to keep track of special requests and orders. When the seller makes the shipping label, it is done through paypal, not etsy. It automatically generates the label with the address on the buyer's paypal account. If you want it shipped to a different address, change the shipping address in paypal AND etsy when you place the order. Otherwise, things can get confusing.

Regardless, it's not entirely the seller's responsibility to make sure your items get to you by the date that you need them. If you know you need them by a certain date to be able to re-ship them in time, allow for that and place your order early! If you can't, I'm sure your friend will be fine if her gift arrives a couple days after her birthday. Heck, I get cards a month late sometimes!

Regarding the hair clips themselves, the photos are on the listing. If they weren't mirror images on the listing, don't assume they will be in person. It's your job to make sure the item meets your standards before you purchase it. Just because you think not having mirror images on the clips is a "big problem" doesn't mean another buyer will. They may want to wear both on the same side or only one at a time.

Quote from: magician5
Quote from: Kinseyanne
In the bag was two cans of kitten formula

So now ... just add water and you get kittens? What will they think of next??

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 12:45:47 AM »
As an etsy seller, I really don't think you should leave negative feedback, or even neutral for that matter. You said you messaged the seller with your shipping requests, but you never said what the seller's response was. Did she acknowledge or agree to your requests? If you just put the request to ship the purchase to a different address in the message with order or after the fact, you didn't give the seller any opportunity to reject the request.

The OP said the seller never responded to the request at all. That in itself is worth neutral feedback to me. I agree that the seller is under no obligation t oagree to the request, but she should at least acknowledge it, even if just to say "Sorry, that isn't possible".

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

LadyR

• Musings of A Pinterest Mom
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 01:38:53 AM »

What I frequently do is have my address as the billing address, but have the item sent directly to whoever it is for. This has never been a problem.