Author Topic: Stranger at my table  (Read 6079 times)

LadyL

Re: Stranger at my table
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 02:46:45 PM »
I agree that it's plausible that the woman was diabetic and suffering from low blood sugar, but I'm not sure that would be my first thought in the moment. I don't know where the OP lives but I work in a city where there are a lot of homeless people who are addicted to drugs. They often move and act erratically. I don't have time to decide why I think they're acting that way - medical reasons or drugs - I just need to protect myself. Someone who unceremoniously sat at my table without asking "is this seat taken" at some point (or "sorry, I needed to sit" after composing themselves) would set off my hinky meter for sure, especially if there were other tables free.

peach2play

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 09:38:23 AM »
FYI, when I get to the point of hands shaking from low blood sugar, it can take me almost 20 min to come back to the land of the normal where I can put together coherent enough thoughts to let people know what's going on.  She may not have been able to tell you what was wrong and she may not even be aware she asked you about the coffee.  I've been told I have mostly normal conversations but I don't have any memory of them.  Thankfully this has only happened twice ever but I can also understand your discomfort.  If it was a medical emergency, then no rudeness on either side.  If there was none, it's a little strange on her part and she should have at least asked to share, but you were not rude for moving.

Cami

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »

It would have been polite for her to have said "do you mind if I sit here", but the very fact she was shaking and looking a bit edgy seems to suggest she may have had low blood sugar. I know for sure all the diabetics in my family sometimes look very off when they have low blood sugar, I don't blame you for feeling a bit nervous.
  I have problems with low blood sugar and when I get to the point where I am shaky, 100% of my energy is concentrated on staying alert/upright and not ripping food out of someone else's hand. I am not exaggerating. I have spoken with many other people with the same problem and they report identical issues. So it may well be that if she was having a blood sugar problem, just ordering and finding a seat may have put her at maximum overload. She may have been unable to do anything else.

I also avoid telling people of my low blood sugar problems as I did so once and a "bad guy" overheard and tried to steal my purse, figuring I wouldn't be able to chase after him. So color me shaky AND paranoid, but in those situations, I do what I have to do to protect my health and my possessions.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2013, 04:41:29 PM »
Cami, I know a couple of diabetics who have found that they actually run into judgement from some people regarding their medical condition and so they have reached the point of closely guarding that information.