Author Topic: Favorite cold dish ideas?  (Read 2311 times)

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
Favorite cold dish ideas?
« on: June 28, 2013, 06:01:57 PM »
Next month I'm going to my nephew's birthday party, which is potluck--the invitation requests a "cold dish to share."  I assume this doesn't necessary mean cold cold, but just anything that doesn't require heat.  They've got fruit and vegetable trays, beverages, and dessert planned, so I'm trying to come up with something good that will go nicely with that.  It's at lunchtime, too, so I'm hoping to find something filling enough to work as part of a meal.  So far the best I've come up with is some kind of sweetbread like banana bread, but I wanted to throw it open to Etiquette Hell and its fabulous cooks.  :)

So what do you take to a picnic that everyone raves about?  Recipes appreciated but optional; I'm not afraid of doing some research to find my own!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Silversurfer

Re: Favorite cold dish ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 06:37:48 PM »
I would go with something that could be eaten warm or cold, like mini quiches or tarts.
Or maybe something like Pizza Scrolls? They are nice and filling and could be eaten warm or cold. I dont have a recipe, but they would be easy enough to find.

I love these: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/4119/open+roast+pumpkin+feta+pies

Also sour cream dip in bread (affectionatly known as cob in my circles) always goes down well. The basic recipe is sour cream, frozen spinach and spring vegetable soup powder all mixed together, then you hollow out a sourdough/ bread loaf of your choice and serve it in that.

Maybe something like Pasta salad would work? Also filling but can be served cold. I am a fan of the classic smoked salmon one.
Sauce: olive oil, lemon juice, dill, one brown onion finely chopped
Add sauce to cooked pasta along with one large red onion cut into rings and as much smoked salmon as you can afford cut into small pieces.
Mix all together.

There are also cheaper/ alternative versions of pasta salad that you could use!

Amara

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 07:04:19 PM »
Gazpacho. (I think my recipe is the best. :P) You'd just have to have a secure container to transport it.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 07:09:17 PM »
Bacon potato salad.

Red potatoes boiled in salt and vinegar water. Red onion. Spring onion. Cheese cut in cubes and mayonnaise. Bacon fried and diced. Served on a bed of lettuce.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 08:33:36 PM »
There is a wild rice salad recipe that I posted in this folder more than once.  You'd have to be able to keep it cold for transport, though.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 10:20:53 PM »
Oh, the pasta salad idea could work quite well.  We've got a ton of pasta in the house, so that would be very convenient!
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 12:33:16 PM »
I stopped in a deli yesterday for some sliced ham and was looking at their cold salads display while waiting my turn.  On impulse, i purchased a small container labeled "Spicy Thai Noodles".

Oh my, was it ever scrumptious!  It had fettuccini noodles, shredded carrots, sliced spring onions, chopped peanuts.

I'm going to try to find a recipe with similar ingredients via Google.  I won't mind test tasting a dozen different versions!   :D

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 03:13:51 PM »
Three Bean Salad might be nice, very quick and easy to make.  My mother-in-law had a wonderful recipe.  I'm going off the top of my head here, but I've made it so often, I'm pretty sure this is correct --

1 can each:  green beans, wax beans, red kidney beans (drained)
1 medium onion (cut into 1-inch pieces or smaller -- you can use less, if you're not wild about onion)
1/4 cup sugar (the original recipe called for 1/3 cup, but I found this made the salad too sweet)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
salt to taste (maybe 1/2 teaspoon?  I tend to not use a lot of salt in cooking)

Mix everything together and marinate in the fridge for several hours or overnight.

NyaChan

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »
I'm currently hooked on Texas Caviar - so good!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 07:48:19 PM »

Please expound on this . . . sounds interesting!

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 10:18:27 PM »

Here's a quick and easy one ...

1 can each:  black eyed peas and black beans (drained)
1 tub (12 oz) prepared pico de gallo
1 bottle of salad dressing (Italian and balsamic vinaigrette both work well)
Minced garlic to taste (I use a lot, as we love it)

Mix everything together and marinate in the fridge for several hours or over night.
Serve with tortilla chips.

ETA:  For an especially low-cal version, use fat-free salad dressing.

If you want to make your own pico de gallo, you would chop and mix onion, tomato, bell pepper, garlic, jalopenos, and cilantro.  Unfortunately, I don't have exact amounts for this.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 11:19:27 PM »
Tuscan white bean salad is also nice.

3 cans of Canellini beans, drained
3 Roma tomatoes - chopped medium
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
Salt & Pepper

Combine all ingredients but the beans and tomatoes, whisk until combined. Toss with the beans and tomatoes in a pretty bowl, taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Chill until time to serve.

This salad is my husband's favorite. It is vegan and gluten free, refreshing on a hot summer day.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 05:28:18 AM »
Thanks, Acadianna, that sounds awesome! I'll be making that at my next taco party. ;D

snowdragon

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 10:47:38 PM »
Caprese Salad is great! just tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, with basil and olive oil mixed as the dressing.

NyaChan

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 10:52:35 PM »

Here's a quick and easy one ...

1 can each:  black eyed peas and black beans (drained)
1 tub (12 oz) prepared pico de gallo
1 bottle of salad dressing (Italian and balsamic vinaigrette both work well)
Minced garlic to taste (I use a lot, as we love it)

Mix everything together and marinate in the fridge for several hours or over night.
Serve with tortilla chips.

ETA:  For an especially low-cal version, use fat-free salad dressing.

If you want to make your own pico de gallo, you would chop and mix onion, tomato, bell pepper, garlic, jalopenos, and cilantro.  Unfortunately, I don't have exact amounts for this.

Yup, you can do a mix of black eyed peas with a lot of different ingredients similar to what Acadianna mentioned and it'll end up tasting good.  I actually found a pre-made mix at Costco that was addictive.  It was black eyed peas, corn, jicama, red and green pepper, garlic, and had a strong citrus flavor to it (orange juice & olive oil in the dressing I'm guessing).