Author Topic: Favorite cold dish ideas?  (Read 2206 times)

SlitherHiss

Re: Favorite cold dish ideas?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2013, 05:31:17 PM »
No. Never. I've tried Waldorf salad but didn't like it.

Salads in my mind are savoury, unless they are fruit salads. The two just don't mix in my mind.

There are a lot of savory things that include a little sugar to help bring out or develop other flavors. A little sugar will zap some of the acidity from tomatoes or vinegar, while still letting their flavor shine through. It's definitely not enough to be sweet.

Similarly, there are many sweet recipes that include salt. It's the same principle. You don't want your brownies to be salty, but a little bit will help the flavors shine.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2013, 06:40:52 PM »
I really love this salad I found on Pinterest:

Quinoa Vegetable Salad
http://www.thegardengrazer.com/2013/02/quinoa-vegetable-salad-with-lemon-basil.html

I LOVE it, it's soooo good :)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2013, 06:49:52 PM »
I have a bean salad recipe in the cookbook folder and probably my Cold Sesame Noodles recipe.  If you can't find them I'll repost if you're interested.

sweetonsno

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2013, 01:36:35 AM »
I love marinated vegetable salads. It's an easy variation of the 3-bean salad mentioned earlier in this thread.

Just partially cook some broccoli and cauliflower florets and put them into a bowl with a thinly sliced red onion (nuke it for a few seconds if you don't like it totally raw) and a thinly sliced bell pepper or two. (Put in the drained canned beans as well.) You can also add quickly-cooked carrot coins and the sliced, peeled stems from the broccoli if you want to.

Bring the dressing ingredients to a boil (make a double recipe if you used lots of veggies), then pour over the veggies. Let it marinate.