Author Topic: I found out that I'm the "Bad Guy" . . .  (Read 3817 times)

Pen^2

Re: I found out that I'm the "Bad Guy" . . .
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 08:31:40 PM »
But you did call her, so that exchange is over and done with. She let you down with a dodgy excuse at the last minute and then didn't ring you back as she agreed to so why she is trying to be the victim now is all on her. Stop beating yourself up.

Aye. She was trying to invite herself to something (rude), and now is being a sooky-lala about it by not ringing you back (weird). You're fine.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: I found out that I'm the "Bad Guy" . . .
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2013, 10:31:49 AM »

I see everybody's etiquette point that I should have called her back a day or two later, but I was iffy on what I should say to her. Certainly not the truth "DDs didn't want me to invite you to dinner so I didn't pick up the phone when you called" . . . I admittedly do have a spine problem and sometimes cannot come up with the right wording to handle certain situations like this.

I was trying to pre-think what to say/how to apologize for not picking up the phone when she called. I'm a truth-teller and a horrible liar. Plus all the kids were there and if I called her back and said "Sorry I missed your call" the kids would know that I was lying.

Excuses, excuses ::) . . . I think you all are right. I should have called back a day or two later.

Just to reassure you--the kids wouldn't necessarily think less of you for lying. If they knew that you said "sorry I missed your call," what lesson would you teach them?
-That polite lies can smooth over potentially awkward situations.-
-That's there's no point in telling the truth, the *whole* truth, and nothing but the truth if it's going to hurt someone's feelings.

And if you really want to parse it, you say, "I'm sorry I couldn't get your phone call."