Author Topic: S/O "Ruining a Joke," When you're not in the mood to play along  (Read 1673 times)

MrTango

I had a thought about the topic of jokes & etiquette and didn't want to derail the other thread.

With simple question/punchline jokes or knock-knock jokes, if you're having a conversation with someone who then asks a lead-in question or says "knock knock" to start a joke, is there any obligation to play along and say "I don't know, what?" or "Who's there?"

My opinion is that there is no obligation to assist/enable someone else with a joke, but I'm curious to see what others think.

Nikko-chan

Re: S/O "Ruining a Joke," When you're not in the mood to play along
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 10:45:24 AM »
I agree.  A friend of mine has just discovered knock knock jokes it seems. Every time he says 'knock knock' i say "No!"

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 11:05:10 AM »
Knock-Knock' jokes usually lose their appeal when a person reaches the age of ten. 

Unless it's a light hearted conversation and the joke fits the topic, I don't see any reason for them. 

It may seem mean to step on a joke but sometimes, you have to do it. 

cwm

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 11:11:27 AM »
I'm the person who tells bad knock-knock jokes to make people groan. And regular jokes. I'm terrible at it.

Generally, with the knock-knock jokes, I'm shot down by my family. They ignore me. It doesn't offend me. It's part of the game with us. I try to goad them into answering, and they keep ignoring me. It's lighthearted, and if I was really annoying them they'd tell me to stop and I'd stop.

My boyfriend surprised me the other day. I started a knock-knock joke, fully expecting him to not answer, and he did. I had to come up with a joke fast because I didn't have one planned. I found a list of some of the most terrible ones I could find online and kept them coming. He kept playing along.

I don't tell jokes to make people laugh. I tell jokes to make people groan with pain at how bad they were. It gets everyone else laughing at the response. But if someone doesn't want to play along, I don't get very offended. I'm perfectly aware my jokes are terrible, thank you very much. I still tell them because it amuses me and the majority of the group I'm with.

Pen^2

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 12:05:09 PM »
There's no obligation to play along.

I'd just say something like, "sorry, I've got something on my mind at the moment," or, "I'm not in the mood for jokes right now."

I used to have a coworker who would come up and (poorly) tell a joke before walking off again. The entire exchange was pointless and unamusing. Plus his jokes were often really long, and I just got sick of wasting time.

If you're mid-conversation and someone tries to throw a joke in, I can see that it might be harder to avoid it without the other party misinterpreting things as you wanting to end the entire conversation rather than just a joke you don't want to engage with. Maybe an immediate application of bean-dip might help.

lilfox

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 02:56:26 PM »
For jokes I don't want to participate in, I usually respond with "Oh I've heard that one before" with a smile, instead of whatever response they're looking for.  The smile implies I thought the joke was funny (and therefore so is the teller) and the words don't commit me to hearing it out.

I've been finding myself in a similar situation, not jokes but in the vein of conversations I don't want to play along with.

One of my coworkers has a (bad) habit of pushing the envelope of appropriate workplace conversation and when he senses the mood of the audience has turned against him, he typically wants to have an immediate private conversation with me or another coworker to kind of clear the air, or make himself feel better.  Well, I usually don't want to have that side conversation or be the one to have to nod and agree that yes, he went too far but it's okay, really.  No, it's not okay and I don't want to validate his choice to be obnoxious.

So if he signals me that he wants to have an aside, I just shake my head and quietly say "not now."

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 05:05:08 PM »
When my niece was around three years old, I decided to teach her about knock knock jokes.  I carefully explained her role -- "who's there?" and "xxxx who?"  Here's out it went.

Me: Knock knock.
Niece yells: Daddy! Lock the door!
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.