Author Topic: S/O of 'Why Did I Buy That?'. Vacation photographs.  (Read 1257 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
S/O of 'Why Did I Buy That?'. Vacation photographs.
« on: June 29, 2013, 09:46:50 AM »
On every trip there seems to be something that really caught the imagination at the time.  Photo after photo is taken and when you get home, you wonder what was so great about this thing?'

A friend used to call these 'Il Monumento' pictures.

Have you ever encountered this phenomenon? 

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O of 'Why Did I Buy That?'. Vacation photographs.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 11:38:52 AM »
Yes, but not on vacation, because we never go on any.  So, can I list some at home stuff?

I took a photo of a rain water filled garbage can lid where the sky and surrounding grass was reflected.  I thought it would look like a pool with a neat reflection in it.  It looked like a rain filled garbage can lid.

I had to take a self portrait for a class and hate pictures of myself so I dolled the picture up by covering the lens with some wrinkly plastic wrap and then shot a picture of myself in dim light.  I had just gotten up and was unkempt to say the least (I wanted a 'mood picture').  I ended up looking like an old barfly gazing through a rainy window.  I deleted it.

I took a picture of a fly sitting on a baby blanket (the baby wasn't in it...we were outside and thus the fly).  It was a very good shot, but disgusting.  I couldn't delete it because it was taken with a 35 mm camera on film. 

My sister and I, in our younger days, took some glamor pictures of ourselves.  I wish I could hunt them all down and destroy them, but I don't know where they all are.

I took a picture of my laundry tray faucet because I thought it looked like a duck's profile.  It did in the dim light of morning, but not in the picture.  So much for that!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 11:41:51 AM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:44:09 PM »
That's the beauty of digital cameras! We don't have to print the pictures to see what we've got.

Admittedly, I sometimes print some I am not sure of or several of one object because I can't decide, but I am ruthless about editing even then.

When we used film, I was pretty good about discarding even though we had to pay for every one.

(Can you tell one of my pet peeves is people who don't edit before showing albums and slides to others?  Pick your two favorite veiws of your 30 pictures of the Cliffs of Dover from one point and be done with it!)

doodlemor

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 03:03:50 PM »
We have a considerable number of "find the dolphin" photos from our tour boat ride in Sarasota.  If you look really, really closely you might see a small, dark fin among the waves.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 05:36:08 PM »
During the family gathering, MIL was looking through some of our vacation snaps on Mr. Thipu's camera.  She drew one to my attention. 

It had lovely colors but she couldn't figure out what it was.  Was it an exotic tropical flower of some sort?

I took a look and had a bit of a problem with it myself.  All of a sudden, it hit me.  The picture was the rear view of a particularly majestic rooster.

We had a good laugh about that one.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 02:23:20 PM »
One year, my parents and I took the Auto Train from Washington D.C. to Florida.  It was like a ferry on land-the car rode in its own train car, and we were in the passenger section.  When we reached Florida, my  father wanted to get a shot of someone driving our car off the train, but caught several random cars first  ::).  We still have those pictures, like a montage of mid-70's cars  ;D.

As for myself, I have a picture of a goat hitched to a cart-at a bus stop in the middle of Shenyang.  That's not really an "Il Monumento" picture, as I know I was trying to catch the combination.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:24:59 PM by guihong »

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 05:05:25 PM »
One year, my parents and I took the Auto Train from Washington D.C. to Florida.  It was like a ferry on land-the car rode in its own train car, and we were in the passenger section.  When we reached Florida, my  father wanted to get a shot of someone driving our car off the train, but caught several random cars first  ::).  We still have those pictures, like a montage of mid-70's cars  ;D.

As for myself, I have a picture of a goat hitched to a cart-at a bus stop in the middle of Shenyang.  That's not really an "Il Monumento" picture, as I know I was trying to catch the combination.

The goat picture is adorable! I don't want to see the goat looking to the left, then the right, then up, then down, then his backside.