Author Topic: Any Way I Can Make This Better?  (Read 4683 times)

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
Re: Any Way I Can Make This Better?
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 11:06:04 PM »
Very strange and rude behaviour! (his, not your's).

And the bolt-cutters weren't his - they belong to the company.

Add me to the chorus of posters who think he may have something to hide.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 08:48:59 AM »
"How would you feel if I went through YOUR stuff?"  he roared and on and on, then stormed out telling me my behavior was unacceptable and there was no excuse.  Not even the fact that I was told by another staff member that he was gone for the day was acceptable. 

I wonder if it isn't that he has something specifically to hide, but that maybe other people (not the OP) actually have been going through his stuff when they go in there to get approved items.  From my perspective, if I was not at work and someone took company property off the top of my desk (a stapler, the kleenex box, even a pen that I actually had brought in myself) I wouldn't think anything of it, but if I found out that someone had rummaged through a closed drawer or file when there was no need, I would feel very upset and creeped out, even if there was nothing in there but work-related stuff.  (I most likely wouldn't say anything, though.)

I think we all know people who just can't seem to help snooping around.  (Again, I am not talking about the OP, who clearly did not do this.) Maybe other employees have been doing this and this guy is sick of it.  Or maybe he's worried about what might happen with other people always wandering through his office area, even if their presence is authorized, because by snooping around or for some other reason, injury might happen or something he is responsible for might go missing, either stolen or just carelessly lost.

Not that this excuses his treatment of the OP.  If someone is not showing the proper respect to his work area or he has other concerns,  then he needs to take that up with the boss.  It was entirely out of line to take it out on the OP.

But maybe there is actually some grain of truth in his complaint, at least as regards other employees, and he unfairly took it out on the OP.  And in any case, I agree with others who say just act as though nothing has happened.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 08:58:41 AM »
I wonder if he's trying to divert boss's attention from the fact that he (HOM) left early without permission?

I wouldn't worry about it. If he said anything again I'd reply "Boss told me to go get the bolt cutters out of the maintenance office. If you have a problem with that, take it up with boss."

I was thinking of this too...it's called Transference.  He felt guilty that he wasn't there to do his job (either because he left early or just left on time) so he is taking it out on you.  You were doing what your boss said and retrieving a tool that could only be gotten from his office. Also he may feel territorial about someone doing his job.

Zizi-K

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 10:08:02 AM »
Yes. Since your Boss has specifically told you to let it blow over, do that.,

I have to admit that if i were boss, i might be wondering what HoM has in that room that he's so concerned about..
And i would be speaking to him about hoe it is appropriate to speak to coworkers. But those are boss's responsbility, not yours.

HoM will either calm down (in which case you can, if you wish, explain to him what happened and why and that you did not go through his stuff; you collected a item belonging to the company, which happened to be in his office (NOT in any cupboard or desk or other private area)

Exactly.

Ignore this clod, you did nothing wrong. Sometimes people have a way of making us feel guilty (or trying to) when in fact we are blameless. Don't let this guy make you feel bad, there's nothing to feel bad about.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2013, 02:22:16 PM »
I'd be upset if someone went through *my* stuff.

However, what is in my office is (with a few exceptions, like photos) not *my* stuff, it is my employers' stuff. Other employees who need said stuff to do their jobs are entitled to access it, since my office is only *my* office as a courtesy title. It is company space.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Yarnspinner

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 05:22:37 PM »
Sort of update:  One of the coworkers who witnessed his behavior took him to task for "embarrassing" me and his response was that I had no business going through his office.  He has taken steps to rectify the problem:  he has now locked his office when he is not there, which means we will likely chip in and buy our own sets of tools as many of the things we need in a pinch are behind the door. 

This is the same guy who refused to get a plumber to the storefront branch library where I used to be stationed when the toilet started running and overflowing (and the water cut off was not anywhere to be found...found out later it was very conveniently located in another business in the strip mall) .  He couldn't get a plumber to us at all, so we would have to live with it. My then boss and I waded into the water in our good shoes carrying yarn, duct tape, paper clips and a pencil...and managed at least to pull up the flapper and keep it in line with the pencil and the yarn, then we made an elaborate hook up with the duct tape and the paper clip so at least the thing wasn't running and sending water everywhere.

Don't you know that he encouraged the plumber to make fun of us the next day over our "silly system". 

I have spent years defending this guy to some people because I know that Stonecold is on his neck.  But not anymore.....

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 05:32:07 PM »
Why don't you go to his supervisor?

Yarnspinner

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 05:37:37 PM »
His supervisor is Stonecold...who fires him every other evening and hires him back in the morning.   She doesn't really doesn't care, Shoo. 

But I take your meaning.  If we had an HR department we could go there.  But we don't.

If the head of Labor Relations and Stonecold weren't friends maybe we could do something there.

But....it's My City and Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall would fit very nicely in with the stuff that goes on around here.....^_^

wheeitsme

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 05:57:33 PM »
So in an effort to protect "his stuff" he's making himself dispensable.

How long will Stonecold hire him back when she's got other staff with tools that are doing the job he's getting paid for? (Granted that isn't part of their job to do his job, but when has that ever stopped Stonecold?)

Stormtreader

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 05:17:27 AM »
My guess is that hes trying to divert people away from asking the question "So you mean you left your office unlocked with bolt cutters in plain sight where ANYONE could have wandered in and emptied all the lockers?"

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 03:54:22 PM »
My then boss and I waded into the water in our good shoes carrying yarn, duct tape, paper clips and a pencil...and managed at least to pull up the flapper and keep it in line with the pencil and the yarn, then we made an elaborate hook up with the duct tape and the paper clip so at least the thing wasn't running and sending water everywhere.

You're my kind of engineer!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

chibichan

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2013, 06:26:56 PM »
Yarnspinner , aren't you getting near your retirement date ? I remember reading your earlier Stonecold stories and thinking to myself " Lawd , when this poor woman finally get out of there , I'm going to throw a party ."

I think you need a ticker at the bottom of your posts , something like " Only 4 more months until the insanity ends ! "

And no , you did nothing wrong . Ignore HOM , if he's not around to do his job then he has no right to complain when other people do it for him .
The key to avoiding trouble is to learn to recognize it from a distance.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 10:41:03 AM »
Yarnspinner , aren't you getting near your retirement date ? I remember reading your earlier Stonecold stories and thinking to myself " Lawd , when this poor woman finally get out of there , I'm going to throw a party ."

I think you need a ticker at the bottom of your posts , something like " Only 4 more months until the insanity ends ! "

And no , you did nothing wrong . Ignore HOM , if he's not around to do his job then he has no right to complain when other people do it for him .

Well, money is going to be tight, which is why I didn't retire on my last projected retirement date,  but I am HOPING to set a date of May 31st, 2014.  Half of my coworkers are preparing to go then, and I don't want to be alone.  I've even started talking with personnel about it!!!  I'll keep you posted.  (The plan is to sell everything, buy a Winnebago and drive off into the sunset so even my family can't find me! ^_^)

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2013, 06:59:02 PM »
Sort of update:  One of the coworkers who witnessed his behavior took him to task for "embarrassing" me and his response was that I had no business going through his office.  He has taken steps to rectify the problem:  he has now locked his office when he is not there, which means we will likely chip in and buy our own sets of tools as many of the things we need in a pinch are behind the door. 

Maybe that same lickpicking website can help you out. ;)

Would Stonecold authorize a locksmith to open HoM's office if he were out just to rankle him?

I hope you manage that 2024 retirement, Yarnspinner!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2013, 07:58:35 PM »

Maybe that same lickpicking website can help you out. ;)

Would Stonecold authorize a locksmith to open HoM's office if he were out just to rankle him?

I hope you manage that 2024 retirement, Yarnspinner!
2024?!?  If Yarnspinner stuck around that long, she'd be eligible for a Nobel Prize :D
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/