A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Sugar in everything?

(1/4) > >>

Katana_Geldar:
A recent thread made me wonder how prevalent sugar is in US foods, even in salads. How prevalent is sugar in the US in food?

How likely is it I will be ale to get my u sweetened, unflavoured, unthickened yoghurt that I love in the US? On a Royal Carribean ship where we went for our honeymoon, there were quite a few US foods and no yoghurt that I liked. Just skim milk with corn and tapioca.

Yvaine:
There are a lot of things with hidden sugars and such, but yogurt is actually hugely in fashion and there's every possible variety available. Including plain.

that_one_girl:
VERY ... usually in the form of High Fructose Corn Syrup
not very likely, but there IS hope ...
1. you can try yogurt (no 'h' in the US, I believe, or maybe I've been spelling it wrong my whole life) that is marked as 'greek' or 'plain' and look in the ingredients list to see if sugar is present.  Make sure to try different brands, as one brand's idea of 'greek' may not be the same as another's.
2. depending on where you are, i.e. if you are in a big city, you can sometimes find markets that import 'exotic' things ... also check the international aisle in the supermarkets, you can sometimes get lucky there.

camlan:
A lot of processed food has added sugar. If you stick to "ingredients" and avoid the prepared stuff, you'll be fine.

Plain yogurt is easy to find. However, you do need to read the labels to determine if pectin or other thickeners have been added--some brands add this to their non-fat or low-fat yogurt. But any average supermarket should have what you are looking for. Also, you may not be able to find plain yogurt in the small 6 oz. containers--not all brands make a small size plain yogurt. But I can always find plain yogurt in the larger 32 oz. containers. It's the only kind of yogurt I buy, so I know it's out there, at least in New England.

PastryGoddess:

--- Quote from: Katana_Geldar on July 01, 2013, 08:12:49 PM ---A recent thread made me wonder how prevalent sugar is in US foods, even in salads. How prevalent is sugar in the US in food?

How likely is it I will be ale to get my u sweetened, unflavoured, unthickened yoghurt that I love in the US? On a Royal Carribean ship where we went for our honeymoon, there were quite a few US foods and no yoghurt that I liked. Just skim milk with corn and tapioca.

--- End quote ---

Processed food has lots of hidden sugars, and cruise ships are not indicative at all of how most americans eat. 

I live in a major city, so my food choices are a bit more varied.  Plain yogurt is available in most grocery stores and is pretty easy to find.  However, I don't know if it comes in the small individual containers as I usually buy it in large 32oz containers.  I'd assume that either Chobani or Oikos would sell them that way if they did.

Most americans don't cook with sugar or add it to typically savory things.  For example, we don't add sugar to a tuna or chicken salad.  And we definitely wouldn't add it to a green salad.  You may have seen a reference to a jello salad, which is in a whole 'nother category by itself and does have sugar added to the jello.  We also don't just add sugar to things

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version