Author Topic: Sugar in everything?  (Read 1436 times)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Sugar in everything?
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 11:52:43 AM »
With the yoghurt it wasn't that u couldn't find unflavoured, I did. It was just plain yoghurt, not natural which was skim milk with thickners.

And yes, it's surprising the things that contain sugar. I do like sweet things, but you do need a break now and then.

I'm confused. You could find plain yogurt? So what were you looking for? What do you mean the plain yogurt wasn't natural? And how is skim milk with thickeners a more natural yogurt then milk (skim or whole) with enzymes? Or do you mean you could find skim milk with thickeners and not natural yogurt? (I assure you that was a cruise specific thing if the case, one can certainly find real actual yogurt in US groceries!)

Betelnut

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 12:00:05 PM »
Actually, per capita, people in the European Union consume more sugar than people in the US.  That doesn't mean we (US) doesn't have more "hidden" sugar though.

"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

EllenS

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 12:20:50 PM »
Actually, per capita, people in the European Union consume more sugar than people in the US.  That doesn't mean we (US) doesn't have more "hidden" sugar though.

I recently visited Germany and stayed with friends, and I was really surprised to see how many cookies, sweets, desserts they would have (and allowed the kids) in a day.  However, their non-dessert food was much less highly processed than the average US diet, as was the food in restaurants.  I also found that the actual kuchen and kekse were much less sugary than "cake and cookies" in the US.  I guess if you are not getting the hidden sugar from so many different directions, you can enjoy it more.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 01:13:53 PM »
With the yoghurt it wasn't that u couldn't find unflavoured, I did. It was just plain yoghurt, not natural which was skim milk with thickners.

And yes, it's surprising the things that contain sugar. I do like sweet things, but you do need a break now and then.

You should have no problem finding plain yogurt without sugar.

And no problem finding whole milk yogurt without thickeners. But a lot of brands do use thickeners in their low- and non-fat versions.

If you are shopping at a supermarket, you will have to read the labels. If you are mostly eating at restaurants, they will be more limited in the variety of yogurt that they carry.

For those of you wondering about thickeners, a lot of flavored yogurt uses pectic or gelatin or corn starch to give "body" to the yogurt. Even some organic brands use pectin or milk protein concentrate. What is used varied from brand to brand and even within a brand.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, Im possible! Audrey Hepburn