A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

Need hostess gift idea for traveling to France

<< < (2/2)

Zizi-K:
I agree that something local and unique is best. There's a place near me that makes beautiful tiles of all sizes, from 2x2 on up, and some of them are gorgeous art pieces. I brought one (an 8x8) to a family that hosted my husband and I, and they loved it. Some kind local craft would be a perfect gift. I also agree that the best thing to do would be to send it on ahead. You could probably research it so that it arrived while your parents are there (or you could send it while they're already there if shipping is faster). I can't think of many things that will travel well over a 2 week bike trip and won't add unnecessary weight.

mechtilde:

--- Quote from: Outdoor Girl on July 07, 2013, 08:08:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: Shea on July 07, 2013, 06:58:52 PM ---I studied in France for a year in college, and stayed with a family. I brought them a variety of treats from my area, in a reusable canvas bag with my town's name on it. Some chocolate bars from a local organic chocolate maker, a bottle of wine from a local winery, some smoked salmon, blackberry jam I made from blackberries I'd picked, and some filberts (hazelnuts). It was well received.

--- End quote ---

This is the kind of thing I would do, too.  Maple syrup for me, since my family makes it.

--- End quote ---

Maple syrup is available in Europe, but Maple Candies are almost impossible to find.

Isometric:
I loves Shea's idea. Also some things that seem ordinary - like a few candy bars. I took home a backpack full of Butterfingers etc from the States, because they're hard to get and more expensive here (Australia), and I just love them!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version