Author Topic: Need hostess gift idea for traveling to France  (Read 986 times)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Need hostess gift idea for traveling to France
« on: July 02, 2013, 12:46:25 AM »
When I was in high school, my family had an exchange student from France come stay with us.  I had the opportunity to go visit her the next year, and she's visited the US a few times since then to stop by :)  My parents are going to France this summer, and are planning to meet her parents in person for the first time.

Mom called me today to get some ideas for a good hostess gift - I remember the mom liking to cook and to garden, and I think she used to teach English at some point, but other than that I have no idea what to recommend.  My parents are going to be biking across the country for two weeks before they get to that part of France, so the present needs to be something not too big and heavy and nothing perishable like food.

Any suggestions?  In particular, is there anything hard to get in France and easier to get in the states?  When I was there it was jeans and CDs, but the internet kind of changed how easy it is to acquire anything you need nowadays!  I'm sure they'll have a blast regardless - it's kind of scary how similar my "French sister"'s parents are to my own  ;D - but it would be nice to bring something more personal than just some jewelry!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Need hostess gift idea for traveling to France
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:49:39 AM »
I'm always prejudiced in favor of books but realize one could be difficult to carry on a biking trip. 

A good possibility might be a handsome picture book of American gardens or something to do with the history of the place your parents live. 

Whatever the gift, would it be possible for your parents to send it to their hosts instead of taking the gift with them?  This would give them a much broader choice of gifts.

Shea

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:58:52 PM »
I studied in France for a year in college, and stayed with a family. I brought them a variety of treats from my area, in a reusable canvas bag with my town's name on it. Some chocolate bars from a local organic chocolate maker, a bottle of wine from a local winery, some smoked salmon, blackberry jam I made from blackberries I'd picked, and some filberts (hazelnuts). It was well received.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 08:08:40 PM »
I studied in France for a year in college, and stayed with a family. I brought them a variety of treats from my area, in a reusable canvas bag with my town's name on it. Some chocolate bars from a local organic chocolate maker, a bottle of wine from a local winery, some smoked salmon, blackberry jam I made from blackberries I'd picked, and some filberts (hazelnuts). It was well received.

This is the kind of thing I would do, too.  Maple syrup for me, since my family makes it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Library Dragon

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 08:13:19 PM »
I echo the regional gift.  It can be small, fun, and silly. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Zizi-K

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
I agree that something local and unique is best. There's a place near me that makes beautiful tiles of all sizes, from 2x2 on up, and some of them are gorgeous art pieces. I brought one (an 8x8) to a family that hosted my husband and I, and they loved it. Some kind local craft would be a perfect gift. I also agree that the best thing to do would be to send it on ahead. You could probably research it so that it arrived while your parents are there (or you could send it while they're already there if shipping is faster). I can't think of many things that will travel well over a 2 week bike trip and won't add unnecessary weight.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 04:11:15 AM »

This is the kind of thing I would do, too.  Maple syrup for me, since my family makes it.

Maple syrup is available in Europe, but Maple Candies are almost impossible to find.
NE England

Isometric

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 08:42:12 PM »
I loves Shea's idea. Also some things that seem ordinary - like a few candy bars. I took home a backpack full of Butterfingers etc from the States, because they're hard to get and more expensive here (Australia), and I just love them!