Author Topic: Violating work policies  (Read 2972 times)

MOM21SON

Violating work policies
« on: July 02, 2013, 07:10:34 PM »
At my work, there are no assigned seats at all.  However they have recently assigned team seating.  There is day shift, mid shift, evening shift, and fill in the gaps shift.

My coworker and I sit in the same place everyday because we are day shift.  Mid shift guys comes in at noon.  He was telling us about night shift girl that sits in my friends seat.  No big deal, no assigned seating. 

BUT, she puts the chair down way low and puts her bare feet up on the desk!!!  We said no way!  Well, he sent my friend a pic of her in action.  It is true.  I promised not to share the pic and won't.  So, I guess there is nothing I can do except use Lysol wipes a lot.

She would not be fired for this.  Just some kind of warning, the warning might be harsh, but definitely not fired. 

The night shift sups are so different than the day shift sups.  WAAAAYYYY more lax. 

WWYD?

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Violating work policies
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 07:52:55 PM »
They actually have a policy in place for not putting feet on the table?

At any rate, I would assume, since *your* seat can be/is used by at least two other people every 24hours, that you have no way of knowing how clean the other staffers are, and I would wipe down prior to my shift.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

MOM21SON

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 08:14:45 PM »
They actually have a policy in place for not putting feet on the table?

At any rate, I would assume, since *your* seat can be/is used by at least two other people every 24hours, that you have no way of knowing how clean the other staffers are, and I would wipe down prior to my shift.

Yes. there is that policy n the work arena.

lmyrs

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 02:02:26 AM »
Since it's an actual policy that she's violating, I would go to your supervisor, explain that you know this and ask her what to do. As for putting the chair down, I assume there isn't a policy against adjusting chairs since that's an ergonomic nightmare.

audrey1962

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 09:02:32 AM »
Perhaps you should sit at a different seat? (ETA: if management doesn't enforce the policy)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 09:07:08 AM »
You asked, "what would you do?"

So I'm going to answer for me.

If I were in your position, I'd do nothing--it would be my coworker's role to do anything.

If I were your coworker, I'd just get out the Lysol wipes. Or not.

I personally am not that grossed out by bare feet. I'd be more worried, actually, about hands w/ cold germs on them, or food, or other stuff. I touch my own bare feet sometimes, and I don't go wash my hands.
   I guess there's the possibility of warts, but even that is not terribly likely. If I were worried about it, I'd use Lysol wipes. Personally, I'm not that worried about it.
   I'd view the psychological gross-out factor as the biggest one, and since I'm not grossed out, I wouldn't bother.

However, if your coworker is grossed out, I think that's perfectly legitimate, even if there weren't a company policy. And I'd say he could completely go to the supervisor and ask that something be done.

RubyCat

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 09:58:50 AM »
I'd do nothing except for washing down the surface with Lysol wipes. And bare feet or not, I think it's a pretty good idea to wipe down surfaces regularly for all the reasons Toots listed. But I'd also like to add, that some people really do have some pretty nasty feet.  Not everyone is good about hygiene or they may not wear socks or they might have really sweaty sneakers, etc. so, yeah, some feet could be an extra reason to clean thoroughly.

And since we're on the subject, I like to sanitize the phones too. After all, you're putting that up to your face.

postalslave

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 12:05:03 PM »
Do nothing unless you want to be always known as the drama queen at work.

Seriously, pick your battles in these types of environments (shift work with an obvious divide between the shifts), let it go.

SiotehCat

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »

Seriously, pick your battles in these types of environments (shift work with an obvious divide between the shifts), let it go.

I agree.

I understand that it's violating policy, but if I were your supervisor and you brought this up to me, I would think you were being very petty.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 03:45:18 PM »

I agree.

I understand that it's violating policy, but if I were your supervisor and you brought this up to me, I would think you were being very petty.

And if it somehow gets out that you were the one who told, you'll get the reputation of "office tattletale" and people might interact with you differently.

As gross as it might be, I think the best thing is to just use sanitary wipes or otherwise clean up before your shift starts, and not say anything to anyone.  Now, if the situation turns into something that is directly affecting your work, and lingering, I would say, go tell.  If there is obvious sweat or dirt on the tabletop, for example, or if a bad smell lingers behind.  Then I would find a way to approach the boss in a professional manner about the unsavory work environment.  But otherwise, if it's something you can fix with a sanitary wipe, something you wouldn't have even known about had you not been told yourself, I would not say anything to the boss or anyone about it if I were you.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 03:46:54 PM »
And as for chair height, as long as it's easy to adjust back to where you want it, I wouldn't say anything about that either.  It is probably expected that workers on each shift will adjust chairs as needed.