Author Topic: it's all about manners  (Read 9001 times)

nayberry

it's all about manners
« on: July 03, 2013, 04:24:34 AM »
I saw this story (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2353581/Sainsburys-customer-shocked-checkout-assistant-refuses-serve-mobile.html)
gist of it being the cashier refused to finish serving the customer until they got off the phone.

I've been on both sides of this, when my phones gone off (and i notice) i normally answer and say i'll call them back, if i'm already on the phone i tell them i'm at the checkout and to hang-on a moment and take my phone away from my ear to concentrate on the cashier/packing shopping. the only time i couldn't put it down, i mouthed sorry to the cashier and watched for my cues then mouthed thank you when done.

when i was the cashier i had some people just throw the card/cash at me without even looking, even had one woman accuse me of being rude when i told her to enter her pin as "i was interrupting her conversation"  ???

What do you think?  is it rude to not acknowledge the cashier and to keep talking?

strawbabies

Re: it's all about manners
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 05:17:20 AM »
I think it's rude to be on the phone at the checkout counter at all, unless someone is calling to inform you about an emergency.  As in, something that would make you abandon your groceries and run out the door.

The customer was rude, but the cashier provided bad customer service.

Seraphine1

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 05:53:01 AM »
I went through a cashier point the other day while I was on the phone.  It was the first time I'd done it, and hoped the cashier didn't find me horribly rude.

I'd been in the shop when my mother called from overseas - my father is ill.  I just wanted to get out of the shop asap so I could get somewhere quieter and finish the conversation, which was somewhat difficult.  I took my items to the counter, whispered "I'm really sorry about the phone, but I have to go right away".  The cashier smiled and said "no problem", and checked my items.

It's something I would avoid regularly - I always think you should be paying attention to the transaction!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 07:00:47 AM »
In the balance, I think that it is more rude to introduce your own policy as the the store's policy.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 07:21:12 AM »
Many stores here have signs telling customers that the cashiers will not wait on them if they're talking on their cellphones. I love it.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 07:37:43 AM »
My local post office has a sign requesting that customers refrain from using cell phones.

I agree with any refusal to do business with someone who isn't giving his undivided attention.  That customer may not remember getting a receipt or not be aware whether s/he has received the correct change.  The store has to cover its tuchas.

Not to mention that it's still rude to be using a cell phone when it is necessary to interact with another person.

Pen^2

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 07:51:44 AM »
If you've decided that you are interacting with the person on the phone instead of with the cashier, then that's that. The cashier can't serve you if you are refusing to converse or acknowledge them. I've seen several people talk on their phone, ignore the poor worker, and then become indignant when the cashier tries to finish the transaction so as to not keep a dozen people waiting. Lots of special snowflakes do this.

Either you talk with one person or the other. If you can manage to talk to both at once, good for you, although this can be rude in its own way if done badly. "Sorry, I'm busy, I'll call you back in just a minute" works fine. The bottom line is, it's rude to talk on your phone when someone else is trying to talk with you.

This is hardly an unreasonable store policy. If someone has decided that they are not going to finish a transaction, then it is quite reasonable for the cashier to stop trying to do what is being prevented, and move on. I don't see this as rude in itself. I like places that proactively put up signs with such a policy, to protect their workers against entitled overgrown brats who would otherwise make their day a lot harder than it has to be.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 08:03:29 AM »
My local post office has a sign requesting that customers refrain from using cell phones.

I agree with any refusal to do business with someone who isn't giving his undivided attention.  That customer may not remember getting a receipt or not be aware whether s/he has received the correct change.  The store has to cover its tuchas.

Not to mention that it's still rude to be using a cell phone when it is necessary to interact with another person.

I agree. In my store, when ringing up a customer, whether its a purchase, return, etc. we need to a. ask if they have our charge and/or will be using it, b. if not, ask if they have our rewards card, and c. if they don't have either on WITH them, ask for info so we can look them up in our system. Then there are other questions, credit or debit, would you like the receipt in the bag, or hold onto it, etc.

So when a customer comes up and is on the phone, I find it rude that they can't put it down for the minute or two it wil take for me to process their transaction. Its a huge pet peeve of mine.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 09:48:44 AM »
There is a sign at the local pharmacy that reads:  Because we are dealing with your health and safety no transactions will be performed while you are on your cell phone

My bank also has a similar sign: No financial transactions will be performed while you are on your cell phone (talking or texting)

I love it!  I wonder why this even has to be posted  :o     Have manners gone so far away we can't drag them back it?

The Subway (sandwich shop) I trade at regularly also has a sign that reads: You will not be served while talking on your cell phone  (this is a store where you order and stand there while they make your sandwich to your specifications - not where you order and sit down to wait for your order).  Again, I love this.  Nothing is more aggravating that waiting on someone to finish their conversation to follow their sandwich through the line and get the heck out of the way.

Went to the movies the other night - it costs me $10.25 to see a movie plus any snacks.  There is someone in front of me texting through the entire movie, it's very distracting with that bright light in my line of vision.  If I get up and get an usher I miss part of the movie, what should one do when this occurs?   

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 10:10:24 AM »
Went to the movies the other night - it costs me $10.25 to see a movie plus any snacks.  There is someone in front of me texting through the entire movie, it's very distracting with that bright light in my line of vision.  If I get up and get an usher I miss part of the movie, what should one do when this occurs?   

Kick them "accidentally" in the head a couple of times as you shift your legs, until they stop or move.

No, no! That was EvilTwik. What you should do is get the usher. You're going to be distracted anyway, and this way they may get the idea that texting /= movie watching. In a safer world, I would suggest first asking politely for them to stop, but nowadays that is likely just to lead to an unpleasant scene.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 10:58:04 AM »
Unless it's an emergency, deal with the live person in front of you first. I'm with the salesclerk.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 10:59:41 AM »
My friend Brunhilde has no qualms about saying to the texting offender "The movie is starting; please turn that off."

There are no ushers in NY movie theatres anymore.  Maybe if they would employ them this would be less of a problem.

Allyson

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 11:57:11 AM »
I give a little bit of leeway to people who's phones go off when they're already in line, if they're apologetic and not dismissive. It's the ones who start out on their phone that really seem rude. We would have to ask the customer several questions at different points in line at one place I worked, so it was really frustrating to have someone who would be not paying attention at all, on their phone, and then act affronted when we tried to get the info they needed to get their order right.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 12:03:36 PM »
I think there is no one size fits all answer. Talking on teh phone can be done and be fine - I've been both the customer and the cashier in such exchanges, and it can be done and be rude - I've been the casher in such cases.

OK:
A street cart. Customer is just buying a can of soda, the price is clearly marked $1. Customer smiles and makes eye contact with vendor, holds up can and puts dollar down and walks away.

A customer is saying things into the phone in a stressed tone "yes, ok I'm coming right away. It will be alright, I'll be there in 5 minutes, ok? Just hold and don't worry." The customer makes eye contact with the cashier, mouthes out "I'm sorry" and pays quickly and scurries off.

Rude:
The customer is having a clearly unimportant personal conversation, and is essentially ignoring the cashier and is distracted from their needed participation in the transaction.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 12:22:30 PM »
I was at the grocery store the other day behind a man who was on the phone.  The cashier told him how much it was, he put up his hand indicating for her to wait.  She told him she was sorry, but there were people behind him.  He stayed on the phone while paying, was fumbling to pack his groceries, which he should have been doing while she was ringing them up, not on the phone.  He obviously didn't want to pay attention to the transaction, so he couldn't use the excuse he wanted to watch for correct prices. 

He stayed on the phone the entire time and the transaction took double the time it should have.  It was absolutely ridiculous!