Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Your gift was only $100

(1/30) > >>

TeamBhakta:
A reader sent an email to HP's wedding section, about a bride disappointed to receive $100 from the reader and her boyfriend

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/02/wedding-gift_n_3535780.html

rose red:
Yet another couple who thinks their "guests" are there to pay for their wedding.  These people should just start mailing a bill with the invitations.  If I'm suppose to cover my plate (among other things), I'd rather just go out to a restaurant of my own choice.

Hillia:
The etiquette and general 'decent human being' fail aside, where on earth did that bride learn to write?  The email was almost unintelligible. 

camlan:
This is the part that stuck out to me:

--- Quote ---Mike and I both have already paid for everything else including decor, photography, attire etc and didn't expect we had to cover that huge amount for reception as well.
--- End quote ---

So the Happy Couple were willing to pay for their clothing, and the decorations and photos, but expected their guests to contribute the entire amount of the food and drink consumed.

So the Happy Couple wanted to throw a party, but thought their guests should pay for the party. And when they didn't pay enough, the Happy Couple let them know, retroactively, about the cover charge.

Crass and tasteless. And rude, rude, rude.

Amava:
People really need to learn to host parties they can afford.
Gifts ought to be a bonus, not a way of funding the wedding...
But of course, I'm preaching to the choir here.  :D

In my opinion people need to stop being slaves to the wedding industry.
It is perfectly possible to get married without going into debt for expensive clothes, rings, fancy venues, flowers, cake, limousines, etc.
If you have the means and /want/ to spend money you have on expensive stuff? Go for it. No judgement from me. Your money, your wishes, your day, your choice.
But if you don't have money? Find alternatives, and hold your head high, because your wedding is just as good as an expensive one. Viable alternatives, to be clear: not "expecting money from your guests".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version