Author Topic: Book Suggestions for "Advanced" 7-8 years old girls?  (Read 3730 times)

bonyk

Re: Book Suggestions for "Advanced" 7-8 years old girls?
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 10:09:44 PM »
Anything by Roald Dahl -- especially Matilda.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2013, 11:03:17 PM »
The Neverending Story.  Suspend what you think you know from having seen the awful, awful movie.  The book is, IMO, a work of art.

In an act of life imitating art, I stole the book from our school library when I was in grade 4.  I had just been moved schools, had no friends and adored reading and recalled having seen the movie as a kid.  I STILL have my copy of that book, and I'm about to turn 32.  I still regularly reread it.

Bruno and Boots series, by Canadian author Gordon Korman,  were big favourites of mine at that age.  I wish I still had copies of my own; even now i remember them fondly.  They're about two boys (Bruno and Boots) and their mischief-making at the boarding school where they live.  "The War With Mr Wizzle" was my personal favourite though as I recall there are several others, all featuring the same cast of characters.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Library Dragon

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 11:23:21 PM »
The Poppy series by Avi.  She's a strong character and saves the entire mouse clan!

The Watsons Go To --1963 by Christoper Paul Curtis.  One of the funniest books and very moving.  The Hallmark Channel will be premiering the movie soon.

Amber Brown series.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

sevenday

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 11:43:30 PM »
I haven't seen the Redwall books mentioned here yet. Yeah, they're big, but an easy read. I was reading them at eight... otherwise, something to have on the shelf for later.

kajunchick

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2013, 11:51:01 PM »
All of these suggestions are good. I second (or third) the Phantom Tollbooth.

I remember my daughter reading the Disney Fairy series of chapter books, the Bailey School Kids books, and the Magic Treehouse books when she was that age.
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

Library Dragon

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2013, 11:56:37 PM »
Another good resource is www.bookadventure.com . Think of it as the free version of Acelerated Reader.  AR has some pretty bizarre levels for some books. Book Adventure allows you to customize your search a little.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

katycoo

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2013, 12:11:41 AM »
The Halfmen of O by Maurice Gee.  There are 2 sequels.  I read these in year 6 and loved them.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2013, 07:52:36 AM »
If they like old-fashioned things, how about Louisa May Alcott? Little Women is kind of long, but there's also Eight Cousins, and An Old-Fashioned Girl. I vastly preferred Little Men over Little Women.

Also Noel Streatfeild's "Shoe" books: Ballet Shoes, Dancing Shoes, Family Shoes. Set in England, they featured some strong-willed girls figuring out what they want to do as a career.

At that age, I loved Understood Betsy and Sensible Kate. And Gone-Away Lake.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2013, 08:03:32 AM »
Something to always keep in mind as far as reading level.  That just deals with how diffiicult it is to read and understand the words.  It does't address content.  There are some books out there that have a fairly low reading level but somewhat adult content - might include child abuse, death, etc.

Dawse

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 08:28:56 AM »
Anything by D!ck King Smith would be suitable for 7-8 year olds. My brother and I had loads of his books and I loved them. 'How Green is my Mouse', and 'Martin's Mice' stand out particularly in my mind. (He was the author of Babe)

I'm also seconding Roald Dahl. George's Marvellous Medicine would probably be about the right fort of length and difficulty, or Esio Trot. Danny Champion of the World was my favourtie Roald Dahl book as a child.

Michael Morpurgo is probably also a good choice. I remember reading (and really enjoying) The Butterfly Lion at school aged approximately 8 or 9. Kensuke's Kingdom is brilliant as well - a kid and his dog get shipwrecked on a desert island.

If you think they're quite mature for their ages as well as advanced in terms of reading, I'd also try the Keys to the Kingdom series by Garth Nix. Brilliant fantasy, probably just complex enough to challenge them a little, but not too mature yet. They start with Mister Monday. (I'd maybe leave the Old Kingdom series until they're just a little bit older, although I love them they're probably a bit too dark for 8 year olds.)

I'm assuming the OP is in America - when I was about ten, one of my mum's friends sent me as a Christmas gift some books from the American Girl series about Kirsten Larson, a Swedish immigrant girl in the 1850s. I have no idea if you can still get them but the books are really well written and beautifully illustrated too, so they might be worth looking up.
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2013, 08:50:14 AM »
Try Ann Rinaldi's books. She writes historical fiction, exploring topics like Paul Revere, the Boston Massacre, Benedict Arnold, the Civil War, Phillis Wheatley, etc.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »
Lois Lenski

Elizabeth Enright

DaisyG

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »
Seconding Noel Streatfield. My favourite was 'The Circus is Coming' - an orphaned brother and sister live with their very proper old aunt. When the aunt dies, the children are supposed to go to the orphanage, but run away to find their uncle who works in a circus. The children then face the challenge of adapting to a completely different way of life, and learning about taking other's feelings into consideration.

Redsoil

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2013, 09:29:25 AM »
Any of "The Dork Diaries" Rachel Renee Russell
"The 12-Storey Treehouse"  "The 26 Storey Treehouse" by Andy Griffiths
Any of the "Clementine Rose" series of books by Jacqueline Harvey
"Charlotte's Web"  EB White
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Betelnut

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2013, 10:00:11 AM »
Don't forget to use your library's children's librarians as a good source of information! 
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently