Author Topic: Book Suggestions for "Advanced" 7-8 years old girls?  (Read 5268 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Book Suggestions for "Advanced" 7-8 years old girls?
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2013, 11:38:20 AM »
If she likes horses and doesn't mind older books, the Black Stallion series is classic.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2013, 06:04:59 PM »

Also Noel Streatfeild's "Shoe" books: Ballet Shoes, Dancing Shoes, Family Shoes. Set in England, they featured some strong-willed girls figuring out what they want to do as a career.

At that age, I loved Understood Betsy

I still have the shoe books and re-read them every now and then, and I'm 47. 

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2013, 06:08:50 PM »

Also Noel Streatfeild's "Shoe" books: Ballet Shoes, Dancing Shoes, Family Shoes. Set in England, they featured some strong-willed girls figuring out what they want to do as a career.

At that age, I loved Understood Betsy

I still have the shoe books and re-read them every now and then, and I'm 47.

Are those the ones that come with the little shoe pendant on the chain? I keep thinking there was a series of children's books with each book having a shoe pendant on a chain.....maybe I'm wrong?

Xandraea

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2013, 07:44:34 PM »
My DD was crazy for the Nancy Drew series from around age 7.  The original series.  She detests the newer version that has been modernized and is more teeny-bopper, and the writing isn't good, so the reader has solved the mystery before Nancy Drew does.  She got her American Girl doll when she was past the reading level for the books so she didn't get into those.  She also started reading the Harry Potter series around that age.

Mrs. Piggle Wiggle is great fun.

E.B. White's "Charlotte's Web"

Roald Dahl, "James and the Giant Peach", "Matilda", "The BFG" and others.. look for a boxed set at the bookstore!

"A Little Princess" -- The story was made into a film, with young Shirley Temple playing Sarah Crewe.  Watching the movie together could be a bonus after the girls read the book! (I don't know how true to the book the movie was, but it's fun to watch anyway.)

"The Frog Princess" series by E.D. Baker (8 books) is one my DD has read over and over even though her reading ability outleveled it long ago, just because she enjoys the story.

"The Unicorn Chronicles" by Bruce Coville says right on it "RL5" which I take to mean 5th grade. He also compiled a collection by other authors called "A Glory of Unicorns".

the "Phantom Stallion" series by Terri Farley, for ages 10+

Bill Wallace has several books about dogs for ages 8-12, such as "Pick of the Litter"

e.l. konigsburg  "From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler"  ages 8-12

"Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh" by Robert C. O'Brien, for ages 8-12  -- later adapted to film as "The Secret of Nimh"  (The book is always better)

"Confetti Girl" by Diana Lopez is about a middle-school aged girl whose mother has died, and her father, an English teacher, reads a lot.  I haven't read it, it may be a little mature for a 7 yr old, but you may want to give it a look.

Gail Carson Levine's "Ella Enchanted", and "Ever"

Tolkien apparently took inspiration for "The Hobbit" from George MacDonald's "The Princess and the Goblin".

The Chronicles of Narnia

Madeleine L'Engle's series (which has a fourth and fifth book I didn't know about until recently!)  I read the first three thinking it was a trilogy, years ago, and bought the boxed set of 5 for nostalgia.  They are labeled as late fifth grade-sixth grade for reading level.

"Island of the Blue Dolphins" was part of our 4th grade homeschool curriculum, so we got to read it together, and I enjoyed the story again.

**All credit to my DD(14) who has been pulling books off her bookshelves in her room and telling me all about them while encouraging me to make this list, which would have gone on even longer if I'd let her keep going!  She's always been an advanced reader and LOVES to read (like me), and just doesn't understand classmates who must be forced to read for school.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2013, 10:22:30 AM »
Pippi Longstocking!
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Girlie

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2013, 03:50:54 PM »
All of you are my new best friends! I read these books as a kid and had forgotten some of them - love seeing that other people loved them, too!

Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls is pretty good, too, and when they're mature enough, Where the Red Fern Grows.

The Ramona books by Beverly Cleary are great for that age, too, as are the Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing stories.

Then, you can always go a little old school with Nancy Drew, the Babysitter's Club, Encyclopedia Brown, and so on and so forth.

Roald Dahl is one of my all-time favorite authors, even as an adult, so I don't think you can go wrong with his books. The poetry books by Shel Silverstein are really great, too.

redcat

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2013, 12:24:51 PM »
I third? fourth? Anne of Green Gables.

Chronicles of Narnia if you think the Christianity won't be a problem.  As with a PP I didn't notice it at all at the time.

Seconding the Young Wizard books by Diane Duane, but they might be a little advanced.

The Dark is Rising books by Susan Cooper.

If you think they would be Ok with period works, how about E Nesbit?  Five Children and It, The Phoenix and the Carpet, and The Amulet.

Terry Pratchett's books for younger readers, Only you can save Mankind, Johnny and the Dead, Johnny and the Bomb.  Maybe the younger Discworld books too, though some have them have very adult themes, oddly enough.

His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman are great, but might be a little advanced, and again, have some adult themes.  Also... shall we say religiously controversial?

Dawse

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2013, 03:11:50 PM »
One I can't believe I almost forgot - if they're confident, reasonably advanced readers, try the Edge Chronicles series by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. Nothing controversial, no particularly mature themes (especially in the first few), just wonderfully crafted, beautifully illustrated fantasy. I honestly cannot sing their praises loud enough, they were and still some of my absolute favourite books.

Beyond the Deepwoods is the first book to be published (although not the first chronologically...) so I'd recommend you start there. The series is three trilogies, four short stories, and longer book at the end. They do get a little more mature as you go through the series, but the first three (Beyond the Deepwoods, Stormchaser and Midnight Over Sanctaphrax) would probably be suitable for around 8 years old.

I really, really cannot recommend these books enough, especially if your nieces like fantasy, OP.
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

Library Dragon

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2013, 03:22:55 PM »
Did I miss a mention of the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull?  Good stuff.  Nothing too scary, nothing salacious.  A family is the caretakers of a "preserve" for mythical creatures. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2013, 04:13:06 PM »
If they like old-fashioned things, how about Louisa May Alcott? Little Women is kind of long, but there's also Eight Cousins, and An Old-Fashioned Girl. I vastly preferred Little Men over Little Women.
I loved Eight Cousins.  It was always my favorite of the Alcott books.  ISTR enjoying Old-Fashioned Girl as a child, but I just tried to re-read it, and quit halfway through because of the heavy-handed preaching.

A strong second on the Oz books. Ozma of Oz was my first chapter book.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2013, 04:33:06 PM »
I third? fourth? Anne of Green Gables.

Chronicles of Narnia if you think the Christianity won't be a problem.  As with a PP I didn't notice it at all at the time.

Seconding the Young Wizard books by Diane Duane, but they might be a little advanced.

The Dark is Rising books by Susan Cooper.

These are all wonderful series, but relatively humorless.  I wouldn't get more then one series to try of these four. (And they are all long familiar favorites of mine.)

The enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede, the first couple of Potter books, The Tiffany Aching series by Terry Pratchett, and my eldest son really enjoyed the warriors series by Erin Hunter (It's also kinda humorless, but it's like about cats, kinda like easy to read Watership Down.)

For that matter, if she likes rabbits I read Watership Down at about that age, but it's a very iffy recommendation :D  Having not a lot of friends I was a very heavy duty reader.

Peregrine

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2013, 04:35:13 PM »

Bruno and Boots series, by Canadian author Gordon Korman,  were big favourites of mine at that age.  I wish I still had copies of my own; even now i remember them fondly.  They're about two boys (Bruno and Boots) and their mischief-making at the boarding school where they live.  "The War With Mr Wizzle" was my personal favourite though as I recall there are several others, all featuring the same cast of characters.

I loved the Bruno and Boots books in mid-late elementary school.  I still have my set that I put away for myself! 

Trixie Belden was another favorite, but I started reading those after graduating from the Babysitters club books in about the fourth grade.  I still love Ann Rinaldi, I read her throughout junior high and early high school, but there are some pretty mature themes in some of her books.  Encyclopedia Brown was another that I just loved at about the 8-10 age range.

Betelnut

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »
Did I miss a mention of the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull?  Good stuff.  Nothing too scary, nothing salacious.  A family is the caretakers of a "preserve" for mythical creatures.

Ooh, yes, these are great.  I just read them last year.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2013, 04:27:27 PM »
Thanks so much for all the suggestions!  I am saving this for all future book purchases too!  P.S. All three girls loved their new books!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2013, 04:45:03 PM »
Andrew Lang's (insert color here) Fairy Book series. I still have the few I acquired as a kid.

I second the suggestions for Anne of Green Gables, Choose Your Own Adventures, and the Little House books. I'll also add in The Great Brain books, and some Paula Danziger books like The Cat Ate My Gymsuit. Also, is How to Eat Fried Worms still in print?

I was a VERY advanced reader as a kid, so maybe take these as future suggestions, but at that age I also loved S.E. Hinton books like The Outsiders, Tex, and Rumblefish. I also really liked The Pigman by Paul Zindel.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture