Author Topic: Texas Hill Country - sort of update p. 15  (Read 2004 times)

demarco

Re: Texas Hill Country - sort of update p. 15
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 10:01:25 PM »
Well, unfortunately, the moving to Texas fervor in my household dovetailed with an Austin heatwave and a big article starting on page one  in USA Today about water shortages in the Austin area.  I can put information like this in perspective (yes indeed, it does get hot in Texas, especially in the summer) but DH won't. He is an avid gardener and watering restrictions hit him too close to where he lives.  Now he says let's investigate the Piney Woods.  I think the attraction for him there is a perception that there is plenty of rain and lots of trees there. The only time either of us was in the area was the long drive down highway 59 when we moved from Kentucky to Houston.  It appears that any place from Longview to Conroe and over to the Louisiana border is the Texas part of the Piney Woods but I don't know. I do know it's hot there, too. It could be that DH is just looking for excuses and he doesn't want to go back to Texas at all....

I'd been planning a road trip for this fall or the spring to go and visit areas around Austin and Houston and scope out places that might be nice for us to live.  Now it looks like I'm going to have to add the PW to my itinerary. I may be spending an awful long time on the road.   

So, anyone with particular insights into the Piney Woods, especially areas not too far from Houston? 

JustEstelle

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 01:40:53 AM »
In the period from 1982-1986, I lived in Cleveland, Kingwood, and Humble, all along Highway 59 north of Houston.  It does get hot and very HUMID there in the summers.  The water table is higher and the area can be prone to flooding when there are bad storms.  The area was hit by Hurricane Alicia in 1983 while I lived there. 

That said, though, there are some really lovely places to live.  Cleveland and Humble are both lovely areas.  Kingwood is as well, although it has more of an "upscale" feel to it.  If you go west to Interstate 45, there is Conroe, Spring, and The Woodlands, which are also lovely areas.

andi

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 11:54:38 AM »
I like Spring and Magnolia areas

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 10:19:09 PM »
I grew up in East Texas, in the midst of Davy Crockett National Forest.

If you look at a map, locate I45 between Houston and Dallas. Anything west of that is the Piney Woods. Tons of small towns. A little further west you can find Bryan and Brenham areas. Less problems with arid locations there but still reasonable distance to Houston or Austin.

Willis and New Waverly is less than an hour north of Houston but retains the small town feel.

demarco

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 07:11:50 PM »
It's good to know that we could still be near Houston and make DH happy at the same time. 

Thanks, everybody,  for all this Texas info.  : )

Bandu

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 07:33:41 PM »
Just FYI, but the further northeast you go from Houston, the cheaper land and houses are. Do you want to live in a town or a mid-size city, or a place in the country?

I live outside Mexia, (30 miles west of I-45, south of Dallas, north of Huntsville) and the amount of house and land you can get for under $200K is astonishing.

There was a house up the road from me, in town, sound but needed cosmetic upgrades, a 3/2 if I recall, with a fenced yard and fenced, 15-acre pasture including a wet-weather creek, for sale. Asking price? $65K!!!! Oh, and it sat there for awhile before somebody bought it.

If you want a real spread, you can get a dozen to 20 acres and an OK house for under $100K in deep northeast Texas (toward Texarkana), but it would be quite a haul to the big city from there.

Good luck with your hunt!