Author Topic: My Coworker is a Hero  (Read 1463 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
My Coworker is a Hero
« on: July 04, 2013, 09:18:40 AM »
He was out with his wife and kids, his sister and nephew in their boat last night.  As they were coming back to their dock, they decided to slow down and troll, in hopes of catching something.  They noticed a boat going in circles.  And when they looked closer, there was a small child in the boat, screaming, a woman and another child in the water.  The boat kept going over the two in the water!

They got close, his sister made a perfect throw with the rescue rope and he gunned his boat to get the woman and child out of the way.  Then they got them in their boat.  They headed to shore to get some help with the runaway boat.  A neighbour got his jet ski out and managed to get inside the circle of the boat while my coworker ran his boat between the runaway and a rock island, trying to make enough waves to keep the runaway from hitting it.  The neighbour managed to get the child to turn off the key.

The kids are fine.  The woman, who turned out to be their grandmother, likely spent the night in hospital.  She was pretty banged up because whenever the boat came around, she was shoving her grandson down under the water and taking the hit herself.  Fortunately, she didn't get hit by the prop.

The parents weren't even there, yet.  They came in from the airport as all this was going on.  What a way to start your vacation and a long way from home, to boot!  Coworker was so thankful that they decided to troll a bit.  If they hadn't, they might not of seen the runaway and it could have been a very different outcome.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: My Coworker is a Hero
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:40:44 AM »
Wow the grandmother and kids were lucky your coworker and his family had such cool heads.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 10:43:33 AM »
He's still pretty jacked up on adrenaline - didn't get much sleep last night.  He commutes an hour so I hope he makes it home OK tonight!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

CakeBeret

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 10:44:57 AM »
Oh my goodness, that's so scary. Thank goodness your coworker was there!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:59:07 AM »
The family was so lucky. Your coworker is obviously a well prepared boater.

CaffeineKatie

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 06:40:16 PM »
How wonderful!  Thank you for sharing this.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 10:06:03 PM »
I won't be back at work until Monday.  I'll update when I hear how the grandmother is.
Ontario