Author Topic: Follow up one last time, or let it go?  (Read 1266 times)

norrina

Follow up one last time, or let it go?
« on: July 16, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »
Background/Timeline of events:
May 2012 I graduated law school, July 2012 I took my state's bar exam, October 2012 I found out I had passed, and November 2012 I sworn in to my state's bar. Sometime between July and October, I applied for a position as an adjunct professor in the legal studies department for a local community college. It was a rolling admissions process, and I figured I would update my application once I was sworn in and had a bar number.

February 2013 I tried to update my application, and discovered that once you apply you can't update your application after all, or reapply for several years. I lamented this fact to a friend of mine, who is a professor in an entirely different department, but it turns out has an office right down the hall from the assistant dean of the legal studies department, and they are friendly. My friend popped down the hall to the assistant dean, spoke with her, and then passed along her contact information. The assistant dean and I emailed back and forth a bit, and she told me to follow up in early July for the fall '13 semester.

The first week of July 2013 I called the assistant dean, and got her voicemail. I left a very brief message, and then followed that up immediately with an email containing my updated resume.

The Question
I have not heard back from the assistant dean, and I would like to call one more time just to make that connection. Since my voicemail and email were both immediately before the long Independence Day weekend I have a slight concern that they may have gotten buried in all the other post-holiday catch-up, although I have to acknowledge that the chances of this happening with both communications is slim. I really want a position, but I also don't want to be overly pushy.

What do the eHellions think? Can I get away with one last follow-up, or do I need to leave the ball in her court now?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Follow up one last time, or let it go?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 11:42:22 AM »
Definitely follow up. I think you're fine.

EllenS

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:34:45 PM »
Yes.  As long as it is friendly and polite, a follow-up is an important sign that you are proactive.  Unless the person tells you, "don't call us, we'll call you", it is good to keep following up.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 01:07:26 PM »
I agree you should follow up one more time.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

norrina

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 01:12:26 PM »
OP with a semi-update. Since three people said it was okay to follow-up, I made the call. And got voicemail, with a message that she was going to be out of the office until May __ (i.e., 2 months ago). So I opted not to leave another message, and asked my friend if she had happened to notice if the AD had been in her office, explaining that I was trying to determine discretely if the AD had just not gotten around to updating the vm and I should try back later, or if the AD was in fact still out of the office and I should cultivate a new contact (turns out my office landlady knows the Dean of the department).

Well, apparently I trusted 'discretion' to the wrong person, because my friend has taken it upon herself to go pop into the AD's office on my behalf. Pretty sure that is the overly pushy behavior that I was trying to avoid.  :-[