General Etiquette > Family and Children

Pushy kid- Literally

(1/8) > >>

Secret:
I have run into a woman at a local park a few times in recent weeks. She has a kid a bit younger than mine (2 years, 3 months old I think) and english isn't her first language, but she is trying to be friendly with me and we've chatted and encouraged our kids to play together at the jungle gym.  However, her kid likes to go up to other kids and give a push, instead of saying anything. I'm assuming the kid doesn't talk much and this may be a way of "talking".  Some shoves are gentle and some are not.

I feel for this woman, because clearly she is trying to make friends and give her kid social interaction.  She is very embarassed when her kid shoves and she tries telling the kiddo, "no shoving" and stuff.  however, it clearly is not working.  No one else wants their kid around hers. (understandably).  My kid gives me these weird confused looks when she gets pushed.  I don't want to shun this woman because she is trying, but what she is doing is not working.  Is there anything I can say to the kid when this happens to redirect the kid?  I don't want to "parent" this kid, but I don't want this kid to think shoving my kid is okay.

Is there a phrase I can say to the kid that doesn't seem to be overstepping my boundaries?  Something like, "Say Hi instead of pushing?"

Hmmmmm:
How old is the kids. Does the child even understand English?

Teach your child to say Stop or Don't and then quit playing with the child. But I wouldn't quit chatting with the mom. I just wouldn't encourage my child to play with hers.

Secret:
Sorry the kid is 2 years and 3 months old, mine just turned 3. 
The playgrounds are pretty quiet, not many kids. But at this age they either play together for a few minutes and separeate and then come back to the same equipment.  If my kid gets near hers, her kid just pushes as mine goes by.

Poppea:
Your first priority is keeping your own child safe. 

My kid gives me these weird confused looks when she gets pushed
She shouldn't feel she has to accept the shoving or wonder why mom isn't protecting her. 

No one else wants their kid around hers. (understandably).
If the other mothers are shunning this woman's kid that should be a clue for you. 

I don't want to shun this woman because she is trying, but what she is doing is not working.  Is there anything I can say to the kid when this happens to redirect the kid?
Worry about your own family first.  This kid isn't listening to his own mother, why would he listen to you?

If kids are aggressive then maybe they really shouldn't play with other kids?  Certainly not with mine. 

Roe:
Your child will come across pushy kids one way or another so instead of shunning this child, I'd teach your child how to handle aggressive/pushy kids.  At 2 years old, the other child is learning how to interact and it might go a long way if your child puts her hands up and says "stop!" in a loud voice. 

I wouldn't shun this child unless you've tried everything and he still is pushing your daughter.  But shunning certainly wouldn't be my first "go-to reaction."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version