Author Topic: Houseguests bring uninvited dog to our pet-free home - Update #14, 40  (Read 7877 times)

lorelai

Re: Houseguests bring uninvited dog to our pet-free home - Update #14
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 12:39:18 PM »
One other thing - my stance in the future hasn't changed about this. If I see a dog I won't pick it up due to my allergy and fear of aggressive dogs. It may not be the kind thing to do but I just can't risk it.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: Houseguests bring uninvited dog to our pet-free home
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 01:05:07 PM »
The dog was aggressive and wouldn't let us get close enough to it to tie it up, so we just left it in our yard with some water. I think DH put out some cat food. :)   ...

If it was so aggressive, how did they get it to your house in the first place?  No, I would not attempt to keep an aggressive animal in my house, my garage, or even my yard.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 06:36:57 PM »
About Animal Control--it varies greatly from place to place in the US. Sometimes they hold the animal for weeks, sometimes days. And policies can be different for cats and dogs in the same town. You have to check what your local Animal Control's policies are; you can't just go on past experience with other Animal Controls in other places.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

BarensMom

Re: Houseguests bring uninvited dog to our pet-free home
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »
The dog was aggressive and wouldn't let us get close enough to it to tie it up, so we just left it in our yard with some water. I think DH put out some cat food. :)   ...

If it was so aggressive, how did they get it to your house in the first place?  No, I would not attempt to keep an aggressive animal in my house, my garage, or even my yard.

Here's the thing:  these people brought an aggressive animal to your house.  Then, instead of calling Animal Control, it was allowed to go free, because they were afraid the animal would be put down.  However, by that act, a aggressive dog was let loose into the neighborhood to possibly attack/injure another animal or a child. 

Pen^2

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 10:08:35 PM »
I wouldn't bother trying to explain this away with cultural differences. If someone is unaware of what is considered rude, that's one thing, but when lorelai's husband explicitly told them about the no-dog rule when they showed up with the aggressive animal, that's another thing entirely. Once you've been told not to do something and you still insist on doing it, you are not being polite. That's all there is to it.

Minmom3

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 12:50:11 AM »
As far as I know, ALL shelters will scan a pet for a chip, and then call the company about the animal.  How long they will hold the animal while they wait for possible owner contact - I have no idea. 

Lorelei - I'd have been horribly uncomfortable in your position.  I'm not very allergic to dogs, just a bit of hay fever, but I would NEVER allow an unknown strange dog of dubious temperament in my home.  A know dog, or an obviously cheerful dog - sure thing, for a time.  But a stray?  Not in a million years....  I'd be really annoyed at guests who decided that was a good idea in MY home...  We'd have words!   >:(
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 02:48:19 AM »
Please try to think of this from the point of view of the dog...it probably wasn't aggressive, but defensive and terrified...people it didn't know were trying to corner it and tie it up and he probably acted out of fear much more than out of aggression.  It's unfortunate that he is loose again but hopefully he will find his way home.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

barefoot_girl

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 03:56:41 AM »
I think these people are barmy, frankly - and given that they have lived in Africa, even more odd. Nobody goes near strange dogs in most African countries, or tries to entice them home, because they can carry nasty diseases. If the dog was showing signs of aggression, well, that jsut seems like even more good reason to steer well clear of it.

Your friends don't seem to have very good judgement. Had they been in a bar?

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 08:37:03 PM »
I think these people are barmy, frankly - and given that they have lived in Africa, even more odd. Nobody goes near strange dogs in most African countries, or tries to entice them home, because they can carry nasty diseases. If the dog was showing signs of aggression, well, that jsut seems like even more good reason to steer well clear of it.

That's actually a really good point. In a lot of countries, you don't go near stray dogs because of rabies (not to mention other diseases). There are a lot of stray dogs where I live, and it's a rabies free country, and they're generally really well socialized, mellow stray dogs, and I would still not be comfortable bringing one of them home.

And I don't know enough about dog psychology to tell if a dog is being agressive because it's mean, or because it's frightened, or because it's trained to be aggressive to anyone other than it's owner. Even if I did, a frightened dog can still bite, and I don't have the training to keep myself from getting bitten.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 08:48:03 PM »

You don't have to be drunk or an idiot to try to help an animal in distress. I've helped numerous stray dogs and have never come close to being bitten, scratched, or attacked in any way. Unless I missed something major, the OP isn't in an African country. In my part of the country, it's not a major health hazard to go near a stray dog. You just have to show a little basic caution.

I don't think OP's friends did anything wrong. They tried to help a dog that needed it. OP clearly said that she had never told these friends about the no-dog policy, so it's not as if they were intentionally violating OP's rules. I wouldn't have any problem with my friends bringing a stray dog to my house if they found it while they were staying with me. I wouldn't be able to bring it in because of my own pets, but I'd find a way to keep it safe in the garage or backyard until morning and then contact Animal Control. I'd do the same if I was staying with a friend, unless I specifically knew that they couldn't allow dogs there under any circumstances. It just seems to be the basic, compassionate thing to do under the circumstances.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2013, 02:25:08 PM »

You don't have to be drunk or an idiot to try to help an animal in distress. I've helped numerous stray dogs and have never come close to being bitten, scratched, or attacked in any way. Unless I missed something major, the OP isn't in an African country. In my part of the country, it's not a major health hazard to go near a stray dog. You just have to show a little basic caution.

I don't think OP's friends did anything wrong. They tried to help a dog that needed it. OP clearly said that she had never told these friends about the no-dog policy, so it's not as if they were intentionally violating OP's rules. I wouldn't have any problem with my friends bringing a stray dog to my house if they found it while they were staying with me. I wouldn't be able to bring it in because of my own pets, but I'd find a way to keep it safe in the garage or backyard until morning and then contact Animal Control. I'd do the same if I was staying with a friend, unless I specifically knew that they couldn't allow dogs there under any circumstances. It just seems to be the basic, compassionate thing to do under the circumstances.

I completely disagree. They brought a strange dog they knew NOTHING about to a home that was not theirs and with another animal in residence. They had no idea what type of desease or pests the dog could be carrying or whether the dog could become agressive to the humans or the cat. It was very irresponsible of them.

I'm sorry the dog was loose and displaying some type of distress that would prompt them to try and help. But this couple was not in a position or having resources to do anything helpful. They had no information about local animal control policies, they had no way of trying to find the owners on their own, and they had no way to feed or house the animal on their own. Instead they brought a problem home to the OP to deal with, which she tried to do. 

"I found this homeless guy on the corner. Would you put him up for the night, give him some food and then see if you can find a shelter for him to go to in the morning and maybe locate his lost relatives?"

Cami

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2013, 02:26:19 PM »

I'm flabbergasted. They brought an animal to a home at which they were guests without permission. That is wrong on so many levels.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2013, 03:23:49 PM »
Our family adopted a stray dog once. Unfortunately, he was a cat-killer. We had to give him away, and the cat took nearly a year to get over the trauma of having her home invaded by what was, to her, a serial killer.

I'm pretty sure most people would have found something wrong in the guests' behaviour if the dog had come into contact with the cat and tried to kill it.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2013, 04:25:29 PM »
"I found this homeless guy on the corner. Would you put him up for the night, give him some food and then see if you can find a shelter for him to go to in the morning and maybe locate his lost relatives?"

I have been thinking this exact thing throughout the entire thread. I am completely blown away that anyone would defend this couple in any way. What they did was rude and inconsiderate and dangerous! It would also be a kind and compassionate thing to invite a homeless person to spend the night, but it would be incredibly stupid. I truly fail to see the difference.

Please try to think of this from the point of view of the dog...it probably wasn't aggressive, but defensive and terrified...people it didn't know were trying to corner it and tie it up and he probably acted out of fear much more than out of aggression.  It's unfortunate that he is loose again but hopefully he will find his way home.

When it comes to saftey and comfort in my home, I'm not the slightest bit interested in the dog's point of view. Aggressive behavior is aggressive regardless of the reasons behind it. I'm not about to give a stray dog more benefit of the doubt than I would a human being.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

EllenS

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2013, 04:41:49 PM »
Look, helping the helpless (dogs or humans) is admirable.  Taking a stray dog into your home, if you are prepared to deal with it, is lovely.

This was not the couple's own home.  People may disagree about whether it is risky, foolish, etc - but there is no question that it was RUDE.

OP, there is no etiquette obligation to extend yourself in ways that make you feel afraid or uncomfortable.  Whether you have a moral obligation to do so, is a matter of ethical/spiritual values, which goes beyond etiquette.  Many traditions value sacrificing your own comfort for the good of others, but as far as I know, they all agree on two points:
1) your sacrifice should provide some actual benefit (something you can actually accomplish), and
2) it should be voluntary on your part, not a response to guilt, manipulation, or imposition by someone else.