Author Topic: Houseguests bring uninvited dog to our pet-free home - Update #14, 40  (Read 8244 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Houseguests bring uninvited dog to our pet-free home - Update #14
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »
I think these people are barmy, frankly - and given that they have lived in Africa, even more odd. Nobody goes near strange dogs in most African countries, or tries to entice them home, because they can carry nasty diseases. If the dog was showing signs of aggression, well, that jsut seems like even more good reason to steer well clear of it.

Your friends don't seem to have very good judgement. Had they been in a bar?

You don't have to be drunk or an idiot to try to help an animal in distress. I've helped numerous stray dogs and have never come close to being bitten, scratched, or attacked in any way. Unless I missed something major, the OP isn't in an African country. In my part of the country, it's not a major health hazard to go near a stray dog. You just have to show a little basic caution.

I don't think OP's friends did anything wrong. They tried to help a dog that needed it. OP clearly said that she had never told these friends about the no-dog policy, so it's not as if they were intentionally violating OP's rules. I wouldn't have any problem with my friends bringing a stray dog to my house if they found it while they were staying with me. I wouldn't be able to bring it in because of my own pets, but I'd find a way to keep it safe in the garage or backyard until morning and then contact Animal Control. I'd do the same if I was staying with a friend, unless I specifically knew that they couldn't allow dogs there under any circumstances. It just seems to be the basic, compassionate thing to do under the circumstances.
I'm flabbergasted. They brought an animal to a home at which they were guests without permission. That is wrong on so many levels.

If they insisted it had to be brought inside no matter what, I'd agree. But there are other options that don't involve risking OP's home or occupants in any way. They were perfectly fine with it being tied up somewhere safe. What on Earth is the harm in that? They were trying to save a life, at no cost to OP. If that's considered bad manners, sign me up.

I agree. I would have accepted "keep it outside" as a response. Still better than running around in traffic.

snowdragon

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2013, 10:13:01 PM »
Animal control would have been called at the *very* least, had this happened in my home. I am extremely scared of all dogs - and would not have been comfortable even with it in my yard. ( nor would I have been happy to have to clean up after it)   I am not sure if I would have been able to trust the house guests again, either. I think I would have been wanting them out, ASAP, too.
   They brought an animal home, with out asking the occupants - good intentions or not that's a BIG boundary to cross. At the very least, they should have called and asked before just showing up with it...late hour or not. That they did not does not make me think highly of their manners, seriously.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 12:48:29 AM »
As much as I do feel for the dog, like I mentioned abovethread, and I don't share other posters' terror of dogs, I have to say I agree with Snowdragon.  Regardless of intentions, (which I can appreciate) they brought an unwanted and unfamiliar dog into someone else's home fully aware it was pet-free.  Trying to keep it contained in the yard was a start, but if it were me I would have contacted Animal Control or the local Humane Society (who accept strays here) ASAP.

As for my post above about seeing it from the dog's point of view, I certainly didn't mean that the safety of the house's occupants is less important than how the dog feels.  I was just trying to say that I felt it unfair to label the dog "aggressive" when it was probably reacting out of fear.  If the OP sincerely believed the dog was aggressive or dangerous, the correct course would have been to immediately contact Animal Control to come deal with a dangerous dog....that's why they exist.  I apologise if I caused confusion.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

lowspark

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 10:40:08 AM »
I agree that it's just plain rude to bring an animal, really any animal, to someone's house without first clearing it with them. And this goes double for a stray agressive dog. At the very minimum, they should have called the hosts and cleared it with them before ever even trying to corral the animal in the first place.

Those of you who suggest keeping it outside, well, sorry, that presents a whole other set of problems. For example, I don't have a fenced in yard. Should the animal be tied up in the back yard to keep it from escaping? And regardless of the existence of fencing, what if it barks all night? What if it digs in the yard and causes damage? What if it somehow gets loose anyway?

Honestly, I do have a lot of sympathy for stray animals and would certainly rather see them get back to their owners or find a home if possible rather than go to the pound. But I'm no more equipped to handle that animal than I am equipped to help the homeless person in the above example. Does that make me a bad person? I really don't think so. There are plenty of people who would step up to help that animal and I applaud them. But only if they are doing it in their own realm of responsibility. The minute you wrangle the help of someone else who didn't also volunteer for the task, you've lost my admiration.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »
I think these people are barmy, frankly - and given that they have lived in Africa, even more odd. Nobody goes near strange dogs in most African countries, or tries to entice them home, because they can carry nasty diseases. If the dog was showing signs of aggression, well, that jsut seems like even more good reason to steer well clear of it.

Your friends don't seem to have very good judgement. Had they been in a bar?

You don't have to be drunk or an idiot to try to help an animal in distress. I've helped numerous stray dogs and have never come close to being bitten, scratched, or attacked in any way. Unless I missed something major, the OP isn't in an African country. In my part of the country, it's not a major health hazard to go near a stray dog. You just have to show a little basic caution.

I don't think OP's friends did anything wrong. They tried to help a dog that needed it. OP clearly said that she had never told these friends about the no-dog policy, so it's not as if they were intentionally violating OP's rules. I wouldn't have any problem with my friends bringing a stray dog to my house if they found it while they were staying with me. I wouldn't be able to bring it in because of my own pets, but I'd find a way to keep it safe in the garage or backyard until morning and then contact Animal Control. I'd do the same if I was staying with a friend, unless I specifically knew that they couldn't allow dogs there under any circumstances. It just seems to be the basic, compassionate thing to do under the circumstances.
I'm flabbergasted. They brought an animal to a home at which they were guests without permission. That is wrong on so many levels.

If they insisted it had to be brought inside no matter what, I'd agree. But there are other options that don't involve risking OP's home or occupants in any way. They were perfectly fine with it being tied up somewhere safe. What on Earth is the harm in that? They were trying to save a life, at no cost to OP. If that's considered bad manners, sign me up.

The only polite thing they could have done would be to find an all night animal hospital and take the dog there to be fed, cleaned and checked over and possibly boarded if they had nowhere else to take the dog (and they refused to take it to a shelter). Taking an animal to anyone's home without permission is categorically rude. If they couldn't find an all night animal hospital, then I suppose their only other option would be to lock the dog in their car, with food, water and windows cracked for fresh air. That way any resulting issues would be theirs and theirs alone to deal with. Visiting your choices on other people is not an option (at least not a polite one).

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Pen^2

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 09:32:35 PM »
POD lowspark. Hit the nail on the head.

There is nothing inherently rude about wanting or trying to help people/animals. But it is rude to volunteer other people to help without their knowledge/permission.

You want to help the poor stray dog? Good for you. You want to help it, at the expense of someone else who is allergic to dogs, is terrified of them, and is unable to give it a room for the night? Not cool. Bringing the dog home and asking if it's okay out of pure ignorance is one thing (although volunteering someone else's health, home, and peace of mind is still very rude here), but once you are told that it is not okay, the only polite thing to do is to immediately apologise and back off. It's terribly egocentric to just assume that other people will have exactly the same priorities as you, no matter how kind of justified your priorities seem. That's how the world works: we're all different. We can all be nice people but still do different things. Just because you'd look after a dog doesn't mean it is at all fair to assume your host is the same way.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Houseguests bring uninvited dog to our pet-free home
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 09:50:16 PM »
Even if you weren't allergic/afraid, it seems strange to bring a random dog back to someone else's house.

Yeah, this is where I am. I would *never* do this to someone else, and I would be upset if someone did it to me. Even though I *like* dog and my allergies are not a big problem.

And if they found it 2 blocks away, they can leave it outside and let it *stay* a stray until the morning. (I'm always cautious about deciding a dog is a stray; if it's a runaway or an outdoor dog, I think it's best to sort of leave it alone so it can head back home again.)

I think they were incredibly rude. And even MORE rude to waltz in at 1am with a stray dog!

It's not their home. Period.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 09:57:57 PM by TootsNYC »

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Houseguests bring uninvited dog to our pet-free home
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 12:00:12 AM »
The dog was aggressive and wouldn't let us get close enough to it to tie it up, so we just left it in our yard with some water. I think DH put out some cat food. :)   ...

If it was so aggressive, how did they get it to your house in the first place?  No, I would not attempt to keep an aggressive animal in my house, my garage, or even my yard.

Here's the thing:  these people brought an aggressive animal to your house.  Then, instead of calling Animal Control, it was allowed to go free, because they were afraid the animal would be put down.  However, by that act, a aggressive dog was let loose into the neighborhood to possibly attack/injure another animal or a child.

Eh,they only moved it 2 blocks. It's not like it couldn't have wandered that distance on its own.

Edited to add--aggressive in response to people wanting to actively get close enough to put a collar/leash/rope on it is not the same thing as aggressive enough to spontaneously attack a child/animal.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:38:50 AM by TootsNYC »

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
I adore dogs. Let me just put that out there.

However, I still think they were rude to just show up with one and expect you to cope at 1AM.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

lorelai

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2013, 03:53:07 AM »
At the time my husband and I both decided that it would be OK for the dog to stay in the yard that night while we figured out next steps. I think the dog was probably aggressive because it was scared. It was wandering around at night, so I didn't feel so bad about it going out in the daytime, although I hope it got back home because wandering around at night in our neighborhood is dangerous.

I think in this case I would never ever bring a pet to someone's home like this. I actually do think it would be rude of ME if I did this. However, these houseguests weren't trying to be rude - they were trying to be kind - so I have to remember their intentions, clueless though they might have been.

miranova

Re: Houseguests bring uninvited dog to our pet-free home - Update #14, 40
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 12:27:43 PM »
Dogs do manage to escape their homes sometimes, and that does not automatically make them strays, nor does it mean that they are in immediate danger of dying.  I'm not understanding all of the comments about saving a life.  It's just as likely that this was someone's pet who would have wandered right back home.  I'd feel differently if the animal were injured or something but it was just walking around, maybe even on the way back to its house.  I don't think I'd be trying to "rescue" an animal until I was pretty sure it was actually in need of rescuing.

No matter what someone wants to do to help, it is always rude to volunteer other people's resources for your mission.  If you want to help, then YOU help with the resources that you have.  Or ASK people if they want to help.  Imposing an animal on anyone at 1am is most definitely rude.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 01:55:40 PM »
Also, tying up a dog outside is not always the smartest thing to do.  In some areas (ours) there are free ranging animals that would prey on dogs or cats outside.  A "loose" dog has a chance to either fight or hide or run.  A tied up dog loses two of those options. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2013, 10:47:05 AM »
What if, in all this concern for saving the dog, the cat comes out and the dog kills it? That is what would be my biggest worry here.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »

I think in this case I would never ever bring a pet to someone's home like this. I actually do think it would be rude of ME if I did this. However, these houseguests weren't trying to be rude - they were trying to be kind - so I have to remember their intentions, clueless though they might have been.

What you want to remember is that they will throw YOU under the bus to help a stray dog in a neighborhood that isn't even their own. Their kindness extends toward "obvious mercy cases" and in fact makes them willing to take things *away* from other people.

And you should remember that they consider your resources to be their own.

Because, this:

No matter what someone wants to do to help, it is always rude to volunteer other people's resources for your mission.  If you want to help, then YOU help with the resources that you have.  Or ASK people if they want to help.  Imposing an animal on anyone at 1am is most definitely rude.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2013, 01:07:58 PM »

I agree on all points here.