Author Topic: You are scared? Ha ha! Facebook.  (Read 5381 times)

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Re: You are scared? Ha ha! Facebook.
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »
While it may have been insensitive, if a person is really worried about someone's well-being they need to get off the computer and start making inquiries on the phone.  Going on Facebook asking "what should I do?" seems strange.  If faced with the possibility of a serious situation, FB isn't the place to run to, imo.

I could see myself using facebook as a barometer. I have OCD and know I tend to overreact when it comes to worst case scenarios. Posting a comment like that would be a way of asking friends "is this as off as I think it is? do I really have cause for worry, or is it just my wcs mentality acting up again?"

I think here the barometer is that, at least for some people, the situation was no cause for alarm.  I don't have a problem with the comment and I would be shocked if the commenter meant anything negative by it. 

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »
I doubt it was meant mockingly or badly. It was probably a misreading of tone, which can happen a lot on the internet.

Which is why it's often best to err on the side of caution when making such a comment to begin with.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2013, 06:44:14 PM »
While it may have been insensitive, if a person is really worried about someone's well-being they need to get off the computer and start making inquiries on the phone.  Going on Facebook asking "what should I do?" seems strange.  If faced with the possibility of a serious situation, FB isn't the place to run to, imo.

I could see myself using facebook as a barometer. I have OCD and know I tend to overreact when it comes to worst case scenarios. Posting a comment like that would be a way of asking friends "is this as off as I think it is? do I really have cause for worry, or is it just my wcs mentality acting up again?"

I think here the barometer is that, at least for some people, the situation was no cause for alarm.  I don't have a problem with the comment and I would be shocked if the commenter meant anything negative by it.

My comment was in reply to veronaz' "Going on Facebook asking "what should I do?" seems strange.  If faced with the possibility of a serious situation, FB isn't the place to run to, imo." as an example of why I don't find it strange at all.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2013, 06:55:14 PM »

Maria, I'm like you in that.  Sometimes, I need that barometer as well.