Author Topic: getting euros for a trip abroad  (Read 1925 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: getting euros for a trip abroad
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 11:30:41 PM »
Just back from two weeks. We just used the ATMs in the arrival countries. As others suggested, contact your bank and find if they have a global network and she can reduce her charges.

Make sure she knows to not use the conversion services at the airports. Their rates are terrible.

None of my credit cards have chips but I never had a problem using them.

Oh, and make sure to call your bank and credit card company to alert she'll be traveling internationally so that they don't decline.

And lastly, on a separate topic, most cell companies will allow you to add a one month global voice or satay or both plan that provides a lot better rates than international roaming charges.

Hope she has a good time.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 12:04:24 AM »
If he is planning on using a credit or debit card there, definitely inform the bank in advance. Otherwise you risk getting the card blocked (and possibly it can only get unlocked if you call from your home phone).

Not only this - but if you are not authorized on the account have her do that now. That way if something gets messed up you can handle it state side.

When I traveled to Europe in HS my parents did something that was smart 

I had
cash money for when we landed
Travelers checks (now would be a card that can be used in Europe ) for day to day
My parents' credit card for emergencies 
A copy of my passport because the chaperons kept ours (came in handy for cashing travelers checks places that wouldn't take our under aged DL's would let me cash mine with both the DL and the copy of the passport.) 

Make sure she understands about customs coming back. What her limit is, and how to fill out forms. It was easy for me on our trips - because I never took near the limit on what you could bring back and I don't do souvenirs. I was amazed that not only my classmates but our chaperons didn't know how to fill out the forms or what counted.  One chaperon insisted we had to include all the money spent on the trip - like what we spent eating but only lunches because breakfast and dinner were part of the travel package. Thankfully our principal corrected him - rather forcibly.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Library Dragon

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 01:00:09 AM »
Your DD probably knows this, but I'm going to pass it on anyway. 

Be mindful of church dress codes.  I'm surprised by the tourists (of many nationalities) who are shocked when they cannot go into churches in shorts and/or tank tops.  In the summer I often wear sleeveless tops, but carry a large scarf or shawl that I drape around my shoulders.  When not in a church I tie it around my cross body bag. 

It's made a nice impromptu shade covering at times.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 03:34:51 AM »
Everyone else has covered money pretty well.  My advice: Get the best walking shoes you can afford and break them the heck in BEFORE Europe.  Nothing spells "ruined trip" more than feet that hurt.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 09:51:52 AM »
Just back from two weeks. We just used the ATMs in the arrival countries. As others suggested, contact your bank and find if they have a global network and she can reduce her charges.

Make sure she knows to not use the conversion services at the airports. Their rates are terrible.

None of my credit cards have chips but I never had a problem using them.

Oh, and make sure to call your bank and credit card company to alert she'll be traveling internationally so that they don't decline.

And lastly, on a separate topic, most cell companies will allow you to add a one month global voice or satay or both plan that provides a lot better rates than international roaming charges.

Hope she has a good time.

I can say with all certainty that cards without chips don't work everywhere.  We traveled with 2 other couples and our chip card was the only one that worked in the kiosks at Charles de Galle train station as well as train stations across France.   The US is one of the few countries not using chips standardly.  Europe and Canada is standard and while there are no problems using chipless cards in Canada, eventually you general will run into am issue.  Besides chip cards are more secure.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
Definitely talk to your banker. If you want to get euros before the trip you'll need to do this several days in advance.

Also, think about using a debit card (with no overdraft protection) with only a small amount in the account. Put your name on that account so that if (when ;D) she needs more, you can make the transfer from here without her having to worry about going to a foreign bank. Another benefit of only a small amount on the debit card is that if it gets lost or stolen, it's only a small amount that gets gone. (This is what I did with my DD#2.)

If you haven't checked into cell phones yet, consider renting an overseas phone from your cell carrier. My carrier provided excellent rates with all the recharging adapters. It was a $20 deposit that was put towards the final bill and all I had to pay for the rental was return shipping.

Make 3 copies of her passport/credit cards/emergency contacts/medical info/itinerary (hotel names & numbers.) 1 copy for you, 1 copy in her luggage, 1 copy in her purse/backpack (kept in a different pocket from her wallet.) If it's a guided trip, probably an extra copy for her chaperone.

Wishing a wonderful trip for your DD . . . it will be an awesome experience for her. ;D

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 02:43:20 PM »
Seconding the advice about chip in her card. Also be aware that Visa and Mastercard are more widely accepted than Amex. You can get cards which can be loaded with currency if she doesn't want a credit card.

Check with her bank about charges for using the card abroad. Also make sure they are aware she's going as some card companies will block the card as a security measure if transactions are taking place in an unexpected country.
NE England

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
In big cities ATMs are everywhere. If her card doesn't work in one ATM try another.

I used euros much more than my card in shops and restaurants. Many small places probably don't even accept credit cards at all.

Validate all bus and train tickets; fines for not doing so can be stiff. And they do have people who check.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 04:20:23 PM »
I'm not even sure what a chip in a credit card is.  Is that something available in the US?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
I'm not even sure what a chip in a credit card is.  Is that something available in the US?

It isnt new to Europe or canada, but very new to US.  Right now only a handful of US cc's have it.  It is a microchip embedded in the card and provides greater security.  If.a.card offers it, it is usually mentioned.   We have a few of them, all loyalty cards....Hilton Visa Reserve etc.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 07:01:33 PM »
Re the chipped cards - I keep my chipped cards in a separate metal case, specifically designed to block RFID scans.  It's probably paranoia, but I understand it is possible to get close to someone carrying these cards, and scan them to steal info. 

It's not likely to happen here in sleepy little Tasmania, but it may well happen in a big metropolitan city like Rome. 

magicdomino

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 07:19:54 PM »

It's a computer chip imbedded in the card that can be read by special readers.  European cards require a PIN as well, while some US cards with chips require a signature.  That won't help when you are at an Irish gas station, and their reader wants a PIN.  I had no problem using my regular debit card in ATMs, though. 

I like to get what I call bus-and-soda money before I leave, either at AAA or at a Travel-Ex place downtown.  That way, I don't have to worry about running around the airport after a long flight, then finding out that the ATM is out of service.

KB

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 06:41:53 PM »

It's a computer chip imbedded in the card that can be read by special readers.  European cards require a PIN as well, while some US cards with chips require a signature.  That won't help when you are at an Irish gas station, and their reader wants a PIN.  I had no problem using my regular debit card in ATMs, though. 

I like to get what I call bus-and-soda money before I leave, either at AAA or at a Travel-Ex place downtown.  That way, I don't have to worry about running around the airport after a long flight, then finding out that the ATM is out of service.

Poddity-pod to this. I got caught in this trap while on my last trip.