Author Topic: Should I Pitch In?  (Read 2472 times)

Aria

Should I Pitch In?
« on: July 26, 2013, 01:01:18 PM »
I am in graduate school, currently doing a summer internship in my field. As an intern, I have a cubicle next to the assistants. While both the assistants and I do work for the professionals, we donít do the same kind of work. Additionally, my cube is a little removed from the assistantsí cubes (this is how it was when I started). The assistants are friendly but obviously I donít have the same rapport with them as they do with each other (theyíve all worked here for some time). At the beginning of the summer, one week into my internship, there was a baby shower for one of the assistants (ďJaneĒ). I didnít know her but knitted her a baby hat, for which she thanked me verbally.

Next week is Janeís birthday. Another one of the assistants, ďApril,Ē e-mailed all of the assistants and me, asking if we wanted to pitch in for a card and gift card for Jane. She mentioned that this is what is normally done for a birthday.

Do I have to pitch in? Jane is nice, but I donít know her very well and Iíve already given her one gift this summer. My internship is over in two weeks. Also, money is a bit tight right now. Should I respond to Aprilís e-mail or ignore it?

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Should I Pitch In?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 01:06:57 PM »
I think it's probably a case that they didn't want to exclude you. I don't think it's necessary. I would respond with a "Thanks for including me, but I won't be able to participate."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 01:20:37 PM »
I agree with Hmmmmm.

I'm assuming that as an intern you are making very little or no money so they should understand.  And if they don't, well, you are going to be leaving in a few weeks, anyway.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

lemons

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 02:59:28 PM »
Is this a place you'd like to work when you graduate?  If so, I'd suggest putting in $5 and making an effort to attend.  If you're in a field where graduates outnumber job opportunities, it helps to have an "in" somewhere.  Given that you sit near the assistants and interact with them at least some of the time, it would be good to leave them with a positive impression of you.

It's often the last impression that stays with people.  If you want to come back as a full-time employee, it will help to have the assistants remember you and speak of you positively and as a team-player.  Small things you do now can have a huge impact on your future.

delabela

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 03:46:03 PM »
Is this a place you'd like to work when you graduate?  If so, I'd suggest putting in $5 and making an effort to attend.  If you're in a field where graduates outnumber job opportunities, it helps to have an "in" somewhere.  Given that you sit near the assistants and interact with them at least some of the time, it would be good to leave them with a positive impression of you.

It's often the last impression that stays with people.  If you want to come back as a full-time employee, it will help to have the assistants remember you and speak of you positively and as a team-player.  Small things you do now can have a huge impact on your future.

I agree with this.  Do you have to? No, of course not - and the wording suggested earlier is fine. But it's a good idea to do what you can to be thought of as a team-player and person people want to work with. I've gotten notice of job openings because people remembered and liked me. If you can figure out a way to toss in 5 or 10 bucks, that would probably be very appreciated, as they likely know an internship isn't exactly a lucrative job. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 05:09:47 AM »

maybe, but at least where i work/ed it was assumed that interns, temps, volunteers etc wouldn't pitch in as they were usually working for little or no pay,

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 09:53:08 AM »

maybe, but at least where i work/ed it was assumed that interns, temps, volunteers etc wouldn't pitch in as they were usually working for little or no pay,

This. And I've never worked in an organization where whether an intern participated in an group gift would impact future business opportunities. And I hope that I never have to.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 05:29:21 PM »
Just be honest. "I would normally love to, but my funds are so low right now." 

Everyone understands, no feelings are hurt, and you don't appear aloof.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 09:14:32 AM »
Knit her a hat.