Author Topic: Do you take tea?  (Read 2515 times)

nayberry

Re: Do you take tea?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 02:41:24 PM »
I wish someone here lived near me. I was given a huge bunch of loose teas in all kinds of flavors (including a chocolate-cherry) and I don't drink tea. I really have no idea what to do with them.

is there a soup kitchen or charity type cafe?  they might take them

Dawse

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 02:48:28 PM »
I adore tea. I have to drink it black though, I absolutely cannot abide any sort of tea with milk, it ruins the tea taste for me. I generally don't take sugar except with some of the stronger flavours, and then I prefer sugar lumps. I don't usually add things like honey or lemon or mint unless the tea has that kind of aroma anyway, but we did discover that green tea is very nice with cucumber in.

I have yet to find a tea that I didn't like. Lady Grey is my everyday tea, I love the citrus, but we have a tea cupboard in my house. Really. There's a small cupboard above the oven that's not really of a size to be of any use for anything else. Without getting up to look, I can tell you we have a large box of Earl Grey, a large box of Lady Grey, a tin of mixed blends including but not limited to Assam, Ceylon, and Darjeeling, a very large tin of PG Tips, a box of Lipton's Peppermint, a box of Jasmine tea, and a box of Tesco's own green tea with lemon that my mum gave me and is much nicer than I expected it to be. There's probably a few more as well.

Generally I buy tea bags as they're much easier and less messy, plus it's rare that they sit in the cupboard long enough to acquire a papery taste.

Can you tell we're tea fiends in this house? ;D
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

marcel

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 03:42:03 PM »
And I forgot to add that I never buy tea bags and prefer not to drink tea from bags.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

lilfox

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 04:38:08 PM »
I liked mint tea, although not so much anymore.  I found that it was the only thing that worked for morning sickness (not even prescription stuff helped!) but after drinking it literally all day for 6 weeks, if I never have mint again it'd be just fine with me. By the end I was seriously weighing feeling nauseated vs having to take another sip.  FWIW, iced with a dash of liquid flavor like Mio was the best way to change up the taste (I'm okay with aspartame in small doses).

Otherwise, I like the occasional green tea if I want a caffeine fix and don't have coffee or soda handy, and will always have it at Japanese restaurants.  And chai tea or English breakfast, both with lots of milk and sugar. Mmm.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 06:27:17 PM »
I used to be more a tea drinker than I am. I still like Lipton iced tea every now and again (but not sweetened!). I also sometimes make sweetened herbal iced tea when I'm sick of water.

I drank a lot more hot tea at the end of my time in college and right after graduating, in part because I didn't really have access to a coffee maker, and in part because I got used to drinking tea while I studied abroad in Ireland. The student housing I lived in came with an electric kettle, but the only coffee available to me was instant. So I mostly drank tea with milk and Splenda, often in rather large quantities because it was cold.

I still drink tea when I don't like the coffee available to me. I've always thought that the coffee my office stocks is pretty vile (and I also realized that I really prefer milk in my tea, not creamer, and definitely not those don't-need-refrigeration half-and-half things). There are varieties of tea that I like when they are only sweetened, so I drank those a lot at work for a long time.

But in the end, I'm really a coffee drinker. I used to drink coffee at home and switch to tea at work, mostly because I had no good way of bringing coffee with me. A year or so ago, I bought a thermos (of the kind that keeps liquid hot for like 24 hours if you don't open it), and I also started going to the gym in the mornings, so I now bring most of my coffee to work with me. It takes me most of the morning to drink my coffee, so I don't tend to drink much tea anymore. But I do still have a small stash of tea on my desk for when I want it.

One thing I discovered was lovely on a recent trip to the Philippines is tea made with actual fresh herbs. My in-laws took us to a little shop that served us tarragon tea, and it was delicious. Since my husband and I were both fighting off coughs for some of that trip, my mother-in-law picked some herbs from her garden to make us tea a couple of times. I think it was tarragon and possibly lemon verbena and maybe mint. Whatever it was, I enjoyed it. I normally like my hot drinks sweet, but this was good all on its own.

Another thing I discovered in the Philippines that was really good is salabat, which is sweetened ginger tea. I think it's made with fresh ginger and honey, boiled for like half an hour. But it was great for clearing up some lingering congestion I had, and tasted really good, too. I keep meaning to try my hand at making it, but never remember to when we have fresh ginger around.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 06:35:15 PM »
Wow! Lots of tea drinkers here!

I have a personal thermos that keeps tea hot for hours. And it's spill proof.

When I was cruising with Royal Carribean I was told that there were no kettles in the room and that I'd have to request a carafe of hot water from room service, which is not the sāme thing as boiling. All, the same, I took tea just in case... To my delight there was an English brand kettle in the room which made fantastic tea!

I have had iced tea, it's not bad but I prefer fresh to bottled. Bottled is like cordial. But that's not the right way to drink tea!

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 06:39:56 PM »
I only drink tea. No coffee.

I like PG Tips for my day-to-day tea drinking, until before bed, when I switch to chamomile tea. I do also like to mix things up with mint tea.

I take milk and sugar in my tea.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 06:41:50 PM »
My husband thinks iced tea is Nestea. I make a face at him every time he tells me that. :P

One thing I've started doing with my coffee, but which I will probably also do the next time I have a yen for tea, is using scalded milk. I heat it in a saucepan very slowly, and it gets just the tiniest bit frothy when I add it to my coffee. I don't know what makes it different than microwaved milk, but it tastes way better (and is definitely better than adding cold milk). I started doing it mostly to keep the liquids in my thermos equally hot when I put them in, but it's really delicious.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 06:46:13 PM »
Ever tried putting in the milk first?

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 07:10:10 PM »
I've also heard you should put in the milk first - adding it right to the tea destroys some of the proteins and gives it a whole different flavor. I don't take milk in mine, though, so I can't confirm this personally. :)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

magicdomino

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 07:23:50 PM »
Plain tea, please.  Black, green or white is fine as long as there isn't any stuff in it.  That includes milk and sugar, so I prefer my tea a little on the weak side.  During the winter, I switch to herbal teas at night, so I'll have a fighting chance of getting to sleep before 2 in the morning.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 08:05:58 PM »
Black tea, very strong, with a little Splenda, whether hot or iced.  No Lapsang Souchang or anything similar and I don't like tisanes except for iced hibiscus.

JadeGirl

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 08:14:05 PM »
Twinings Australian or Traditional Afternoon tea, strong and a dash of milk is my standard tipple - around 2-3 cups a day in summer and up to 8 in winter. I also like green tea, Japanese roasted rice green tea and have a large collection of Chinese teas from the delicate white Dragon Well to earthy Pu Erh. These are drunk plain, no milk or sugar. In summer I like to indulge in "bubble tea" which is sweetened, flavoured milk or plain tea with chewy sago pearls and ice.

I don't really care for teas not made from the leaves of camelia sinensis (tisanes) unless I'm unwell.

When I'm visiting Malaysia I love to order teh tarik ("pulled tea"). It's a sweetened milk tea drink that is made frothy by pouring it from one glass to another with great dexerity and panache.

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 08:34:37 PM »
Being both Irish and US Southern, I have tea running thur my vein instead of blood :)

I've never met a tea that I didn't like, although, some more then others. I love Yorkshire Gold.
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

Coralreef

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 08:38:42 PM »
I love tea.  Black, green, white, with fruit or flower notes, with nuts or maple sugar blended in.  I also like herb and flower teas.  I buy loose tea and I have a teapot for almost each type.  I also discovered the blooming teas.  Really fun in a clear teapot when I have guest over. 

I take a hot chocolate in the morning, but for the rest of the day, it's tea, usually cold.  I make a large batch I keep in the fridge and refill my bottle (1 litre) twice a day.  I drink it hot when I need something soothing.  I keep the different blends in metal cans on my kitchen counter. I have about a dozen right now, the blend of the day depends on my mood  :) .

[/right