Author Topic: First bread machine use - uh-oh, overflow!  (Read 3650 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: First bread machine use - uh-oh, overflow!
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2013, 03:13:29 PM »
I guess if I make pre-measured bags, I'd want to reverse the dry ingredients, so they'd drop into the bread machine in order?  So yeast on the bottom, salt on the top, so they're separated by the flours and oatmeal?

Thanks for the explanation of why the bread machine works as it does!  That's really interesting to see why it is.  I just bought two new bread pans, and now I have a bread slicer!  Except my husband said that we ought to finish up the (store bought) bread in the freezer, as it won't last there forever.  So I had to take a short break from making bread.  The girls are very sad about having to eat store bought bread now, and are anxious to finish it so I can make bread again.  :)  The only difficulty with using all homemade bread so far is that I can't feed it to the baby, as this recipe includes honey and she's not 1 year yet.  Supposedly oven temperatures are not necessarily high enough to kill the spores from honey that can be dangerous to babies.  So I've been feeding her the leftover matzah from Passover instead.  :)  Nobody else wants it, and she doesn't mind.  Hee hee.

veryfluffy

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2013, 06:15:56 PM »
Just finished reading 52 Loaves, by William Alexander -- very interesting if you are into making bread.

http://williamalexander.com/bread/

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2013, 02:07:59 PM »
I'll have to check it out!

Chip2

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 04:29:41 PM »
I guess if I make pre-measured bags, I'd want to reverse the dry ingredients, so they'd drop into the bread machine in order?  So yeast on the bottom, salt on the top, so they're separated by the flours and oatmeal?

Thanks for the explanation of why the bread machine works as it does!  That's really interesting to see why it is.  I just bought two new bread pans, and now I have a bread slicer!  Except my husband said that we ought to finish up the (store bought) bread in the freezer, as it won't last there forever.  So I had to take a short break from making bread.  The girls are very sad about having to eat store bought bread now, and are anxious to finish it so I can make bread again.  :)  The only difficulty with using all homemade bread so far is that I can't feed it to the baby, as this recipe includes honey and she's not 1 year yet.  Supposedly oven temperatures are not necessarily high enough to kill the spores from honey that can be dangerous to babies.  So I've been feeding her the leftover matzah from Passover instead.  :)  Nobody else wants it, and she doesn't mind.  Hee hee.

You could reverse the ingredient order but it's been my experience that it doesn't matter too much as long as the salt doesn't start in direct contact with the yeast or is at least dispersed through the other ingredients.

Internal temperature for a finished loaf of bread should be in the 200-205 degree (Farenheit, of course) range, but I don't know if the temp stays there long enough to kill the spores. However, you could substitute brown sugar for the honey.