Author Topic: When a 'famous' person buys something from you  (Read 5142 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
When a 'famous' person buys something from you
« on: July 06, 2013, 10:19:48 PM »
squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

I have an etsy shop.  I sell something maybe once a month if I am lucky.  It's mostly a hobby thing. 

Today someone bought something from me.  My husband mentioned it to me and told me that it looked like the buyer was a writer of some sort.  I looked at the invoice. 
My eyes bugged out of my head and my jaw dropped.

She is literally my 3rd favourite author and I have four of her books out from the library (one complete series).  It takes me less than a week to finish one of her books.  I simply adore her. 

When I ship my items, I always include a personal note thanking the buyer, offering them a coupon for a future purchase, and saying how much I hope they return.
Would it be weird or offputting to also include a little note along the lines of "As an aside, I was so delighted when I saw your name as the buyer.  I am quite a fan of your works and am currently reading [book]"?

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
Re: When a 'famous' person buys something from you
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 10:48:31 PM »
Doesn't sound weird or off-putting to me!  If I were an author, I'd be delighted to read those words in your note.

BTW, may we please have a link to your Etsy shop?

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 11:03:38 PM »
How can you be sure it's not just someone with the same name though?
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 11:12:59 PM »
Because her email address belongs to her professional domain.  Also because her etsy profile makes mention of her books.  ;)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 11:52:26 PM »
Because her email address belongs to her professional domain.  Also because her etsy profile makes mention of her books.  ;)

Then I say go for it!
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 12:37:34 AM »
Don't go overboard gushing and don't ask for an autograph or anything, and I think you're clear! I think most authors would appreciate the note.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 01:28:02 AM »
POD to KenveeB

aaaand: *squueeeeeel and jumps up and down with you*!

Congrats on making a sale and rubbing virtual elbows!  ;D
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 02:37:19 AM »
Can you tell us who? I'm very curious!
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 08:40:07 AM »
Since you are in the habit of enclosing a personal note, there's nothing wrong with mentioning how much you've enjoyed the Author's work. 

Every now and again at work we'd get visits from 'famous' people.  Not one ever objected to a quiet remark like that.  In fact, they seemed quite pleased. 

Pen^2

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 10:16:50 AM »
I think it's a great idea! Unless you write some creepy stalker-y note, you're good. What you've put as an example would be a fine framework to build on.

I would just caution you on this: double check that it is indeed the author, and not just someone with a similar name--that could be awkward, and possibly annoying for them. If it's John Smith, it's worth double checking as much as you are able (e.g. based on shipping address). But if it's Rajensk von Plookenheimer III, then I think you don't really have to worry about it.

bonyk

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 12:03:03 PM »
I think your proposed wording is perfect.

nayberry

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 02:15:52 PM »
sounds very exciting,  whilst i want to know who it is, for their privacy i'm happy to just be excited for you!

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 02:23:33 PM »
I had something similar happen. A TV producer/author purchased one of my necklaces, to wear on her book signing tour. I simply sent her a convo through etsy thanking her for her purchase and saying I was looking forward to reading her new series.

PurpleFrog

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 04:20:17 PM »
Squee.

I ran into a similar situation, I sold somthing on eBay to an Oxford professor. I'd used several of her pubilshed works through my degree, and I have to admit I seriously considered enclosing a note. N the end I didn't, partially because I wad selling old maternity clothes, which for some reason seems a personal purchase, and partially because it seem alittle weird, however hhad she been an author instead of an academic I probably wouldn't have wussed out of including it.
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

Fleur

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 04:22:23 PM »
I think it's a great idea! Unless you write some creepy stalker-y note, you're good. What you've put as an example would be a fine framework to build on.

I would just caution you on this: double check that it is indeed the author, and not just someone with a similar name--that could be awkward, and possibly annoying for them. If it's John Smith, it's worth double checking as much as you are able (e.g. based on shipping address). But if it's Rajensk von Plookenheimer III, then I think you don't really have to worry about it.

The OP has already said that this is definitely the author.