Author Topic: When a 'famous' person buys something from you  (Read 5163 times)

GSNW

Re: When a 'famous' person buys something from you
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 11:27:30 AM »
I think that since this author obviously isn't trying to hide her identity, a shirt n sweet note is just fine.  How cool is it that you both produce a product the other enjoys?!  If I ever had a reason to write a personal note to, say, Ken Follett or Christopher Pike, I would probably die of joy before I got a chance to put a pen to paper!

elephantschild

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 07:20:33 PM »
Squeeee! right along with you. :)

I think your note sounds fine.

If you would be willing in a PM, I would also love to know who the author it is. Partly for the squee! factor, partly because if you like her books that much, I might want to try them! :D
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 08:21:41 AM »
Oh, and if you have business cards, include more than you normally would. The author who bought a necklace from me asked specifically for a lot, so she could hand them out if anyone asked where she got the necklace from. I sent her a nice big stack of them. Your customer probably has a lot of good connections, so it doesn't hurt to help make yourself memorable.

juliasqueezer

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
I sell books on Amazon and have done so for many years.

Several times, I have sold early/old editions to the authors, but resisted the urge to squee!

I wanted to, but some kind of shyness creeps in and I stop, with the excuse to myself that I don't want to be considered unprofessional. even though it probably isn't unprofessional.

A few years ago a very famous Broadway producer purchased an old book on a rather controversial topic, and I wondered if this book was somehow research for a future show. I still check out this producer's plays to see if that topic has been part of any recent plays, but so far, nothing.

lowspark

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 10:59:10 AM »
I think that since this author obviously isn't trying to hide her identity, a shirt n sweet note is just fine.  How cool is it that you both produce a product the other enjoys?!  If I ever had a reason to write a personal note to, say, Ken Follett or Christopher Pike, I would probably die of joy before I got a chance to put a pen to paper!

I agree with the bolded. The fact that she made it plainly obvious who she is indicates that she will be flattered by a fan note included with her merchandise. I think your wording is good.

Remember, even celebrities are people. They want to recieve praise as much as anyone. It's probably more common than we think for authors to have correspondence with their fans.

As an example, my sister is a huge fan of a particular rock musician. She has contacted him through his website (just using the email address posted on the site) and received personal answers from him multiple times. (Nothing stalky or out of the ordinary, just regular fan to celebrity type conversation.)

If this author wasn't receptive to this kind of comment, she would have ordered from an anonymous address.

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 03:51:03 PM »
Thanks all.  I included a note that was along the lines of what I mentioned.
In addition to thanking her for her purchase, I said "On a personal note, I was delighted to realize you are the same [author] whose books I have enjoyed so much.  I am currently reading [book] and look forward to tackling your [new series] next." 

MineralDiva

• "Diva"
  • "I shall plant my feet and let them have it!"
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 11:52:02 PM »
Sounds lovely, yes.  I know I would be happy to get such a nice note.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 09:46:06 AM »
Thanks all.  I included a note that was along the lines of what I mentioned.
In addition to thanking her for her purchase, I said "On a personal note, I was delighted to realize you are the same [author] whose books I have enjoyed so much.  I am currently reading [book] and look forward to tackling your [new series] next."

I think your note was perfect. 

In my experience, authors and actors are uncomfortable with 'Squeeee!'. They do appreciate comments that acknowledge their craft. 

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »
Pen^2 wrote:

"If it's John Smith, it's worth double checking as much as you are able (e.g. based on shipping address). But if it's Rajensk von Plookenheimer III, then I think you don't really have to worry about it."

Wait, Plookenheimer has a new book out?!?

Anyway, I think the note is great.  Most artists are pleased when someone comments on their work.

Virg

cwm

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2013, 01:45:46 PM »
I think the note was perfect. Not over the top, but it showed that you appreciate what the author does without gushing or going overboard. You're treating her like you'd probably treat another Etsy seller who made things that you enjoy and were happy to see browsing your shop.

baconsmom

• The novelist currently known as Catherine Winters
    • Catherine Winters
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2013, 12:22:37 AM »
Your note was perfect! As an author, I have to say that interaction with fans is always the best part of the job. I would love to receive such a note!
Follow me on  Twitter!

Like me on Facebook!

Or try something tasty from my blog: Catherine Winters