Author Topic: S/O Facecloths- hotel amenities  (Read 1031 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
S/O Facecloths- hotel amenities
« on: July 06, 2013, 11:07:02 PM »
I didn't want to derail the face cloth thread so I thought I'd spin this off.

In a couple of weeks,  Mr Dragon and I will be touring in Scotland. We will mostly be saying at guest-houses and inns and be in fairly small communities.

In all the Canadian and US hotels we have stayed in, small toiletry items are placed in the rooms for guest use: usually soap, shampoo and conditioner, but sometimes other items as well.

Should we expect the same in Scotland or should we bring our own?
We don't have a preference, but I'd like to be prepared.

From the other thread, I now know to bring a couple of face clothes, so I'm glad I checked!

veryfluffy

Re: S/O Facecloths- hotel amenities
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 06:33:05 AM »
There will certainly be soap, but I wouldn't expect shampoo and conditioner unless you are staying at 4* places.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 09:06:36 AM »
Bring your own, just to be on the safe side. 

Unless the place is really out in the country, a pharmacy will probably be available to pick up whatever you may have forgotten.

K_Bear

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 09:38:53 AM »
Either pack your own, or be prepared to purchase at a pharmacy or grocery store. Our experience from a guest house in Ireland, they provided soap, but it was in a wall mounted dispenser by the sink. And not easy to reach from the shower. And some guest houses and B&Bs have shared bathrooms...so your own toiletries are really best. We were told this is all pretty common in the UK/Ireland at smaller hotels, inns and B&Bs.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 01:48:56 PM »
Bring your own toiletries as only soap will be provided unless you're staying somewhere expensive.  There will be towels but probably no facecloths.

Don't bother bringing your toiletries over from the US- just pick up shower gel, shampoo and conditioner over here. You probably won't need to go to a pharmacy to get them as they are available in supermarkets, convenience stores and even some petrol (gas) stations.

In a basic B&B you can expect a nice clean room, comfy bed, bathroom with bath or shower (either shared or en suite, you pay more for en suite) soap, towels, usually a TV and definitely tea making facilities (kettle, cups, teabags, instant coffee, sugar and small pots of UHT milk)

You can also expect an fantastic cooked breakfast!
NE England

Bluenomi

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 12:04:51 AM »
If they are B&B type places you'll need to bring your own but I've never had an issue getting a fash washer in Scotland in the past few years!

Carotte

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 06:18:08 AM »
I've only seen the small bottles of shampoo and those little soaps in sealed bags from 'real' hotels. Go high end and there could also be shower caps, comb, even razors...
This summer I was in mostly youth hostels, when there's soap or shampoo it's mostly that a previous guest left it in the shared bathrooms.
We once had soap and shampoo but it was an en suite bathroom and I don't think those were free. We didn't use them anyway, for ten days we each had a small piece of soap and small bottle of shampoo. With up to two showers a day we were still good in the end.

Are you sure you'll get towels tho? (I'm not familiar with b&b and guesthouses either - just that you'd have to rent them in youth hostels).
We traveled with those sport/camping micro fiber towels. Light to pack, dry quickly, but don't make a really good job at towelling/absorbing water. Still, better than nothing in a pinch. but we were on a budget, renting them is less hassle I guess when you can.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 11:54:23 AM »
You'll get towels at a B&B but not at a hostel.
NE England