A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Trans-Atlantic Knowledge Exchange

kids and swimming lessons

<< < (18/18)

PastryGoddess:

--- Quote from: Sophia on September 15, 2013, 06:53:50 PM ---Pastry, have you looked into a Lycra bodysuit?  They are a specialty item in scuba gear.   They are basically a not-tight swimsuit that you put over your regular swimsuit that covers your entire body except your hands, feet and head. 
I wear one scuba diving because I don't need a wetsuit when everyone else does, but my skin is very sensitive.   I stay far away from, well, everything I can.  But, those things that look like clear worms with glowing lights in their innards LOVE me.  They leave bites like mosquitoes that are 10X as itchy.   
You wouldn't be able to pet a jellyfish, but it helps.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

--- End quote ---

I'm totally ok with not petting jellyfish.  I'd rather kiss a poisonous snake :)  I do have a wetsuit, but I only wear it when I'm scuba diving.  When I'm at the beach, I enjoy wearing my bathing suit.  So basically I want it both ways.  I'm so vain :) 

BigBadBetty:
I really want to thank everyone for this thread. I thought it might be different between countries, but I had no idea who different it was in my own country (U.S.). I just assumed most high schools (except maybe ones with 200 or less students) had a swimming pool. Sure enough, I looked up my niece's school in the South...no swimming pool. None of the schools in the area has one. They do have a swim team that meets at off-campus locations. I just assumed if you had a swim team, you had a pool. I would have never even thought to ask.

jaxsue:

--- Quote from: Sharnita on July 08, 2013, 11:34:52 AM ---In Michigan most schools don't have pools and the majority of kids do not learn through school. I learned at the YMCA and had those skills reinforced at summer camp and other experiences.

The reality is that there is a gap in who has the chance to learn to swim in the US.

--- End quote ---

I'm a 'gander, and I agree. I learned how to swim because we were the "Great Lake State"!  :) I learned how to swim in Lake Michigan. I lived way up north, where pools were rare (cold climate), so you swam in the many lakes in the area.

General comment: I lived in FL for 22 yrs. There are pools everywhere there, as well as canals, rivers, and of course, the ocean. Every FL kid should know how to swim, just for safety's sake. We had a very large inground pool and both my boys could swim very well by age 5.

Like many other posters, our schools (both MI and FL) didn't have swimming pools. Whether it was lack of funds or insurance liability, they didn't exist. Swimming lessons could be found at the local YMCA in FL.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version