Author Topic: Gettysburg  (Read 2090 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Gettysburg
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:23:26 PM »
I was surprised by the number of eHellions and/or relatives who have been to Gettysburg recently.

Mom, Dad, Sis, and I were in Gettysburg on June 26. (If you saw a silver Nissan Rogue drive around the driveway in the National Cemetary where vehicles are prohibited, that was us!)

We had permission from the Park Service, and were given a "Handicapped" paper to be displayed on Sis's dashboard.

We got glares from people who were walking to see the New York monument up close.

Our car was filled with people who was disabled in some way:

Dad- age 91 WWII veteran, with circulatory problems, and has minor dementia, his great-grandfather fought in the Civil War/War Between The States.

Mom- 84 next month, circulatory problems also, 2 of her great-grandfathers also fought in the Civil War

Sis- age 49,deaf in her left ear

Me- age 59, wearing a boot-like thing on my left foot because of a broken foot bone.

Sis was driving that day, and momentarily stopped the car so that I could get out, walk across the grass to take pictures close-up pictures of the monument, and stopped again so that I could get back in the car.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:26:20 PM by AmethystAnne »

MrTango

Re: Gettysburg
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:37:29 PM »
I've never been there, but I'd really like to.  When I was in school (in Minnesota), our state history teachers always made sure to mention the 1st Minnesota and their actions on the second and third days of the battle.

I also think it's really neat that the park staff were able to accomodate your group's disabilities so well.

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:39:20 PM »
We were there Saturday to watch some of the reenactments.  We don't live too far away, so we end up going there fairly frequently

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 01:57:37 PM »
We were there Saturday to watch some of the reenactments.  We don't live too far away, so we end up going there fairly frequently

^ I am envious.

My lifelong dream has been to visit Gettysburg. I finally went last September, then again a month ago. What an amazing place. Yes, the touristy stuff can be annoying, but it is worth the visit. The battlefield cannot be described - it has to be seen to appreciate it. I will be going again, then will visit Hunterstown as well. I've recently learned that it is important, Civil-war wise, as well as full of historical buildings.

I love history!

edited to fix mistake.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 03:47:59 PM by jaxsue »

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »
We live 45mins from it and we've been there twice.  Both times, we hired a personal guide and it was a wonderful experience! 

I'm sure we will go back again soon!  First, we'd like to visit Bull Run and Antietam.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 02:57:17 PM »
Travelling around Gettysburg to see the locations of the battles and see a lot of the monuments are best enjoyed if you can stay overnight or 2 nights. One day is just not enough time.

I took a bunch of pictures. Not as many as I thought at the time. I bought a postcard that shows 4 monuments, Indiana, New York, Pennsylvania, and Minnesota. Minnesota has a figure of a running C.W. soldier on top of the tall concrete or marble pedestal.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 03:08:48 PM »
It's been awhile-Robert E. Lee was probably still there  ::) but of all the battlefields I have visited, I remember it was one of the most moving.  I stood on the field where Pickett's Charge happened, and where my ancestor stood.  Now given this thread and the hiking thread, I want to go back :).

Erich L-ster

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
I don't mean this to be disrespectful of the soldiers who died there but I have always been interested in the hauntings and would like to stay at a haunted hotel.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 03:40:26 PM »
I liked Gettysburg, but I always preferred Antietam and Shiloh.  Fewer monuments, so (IMO) you get a better sense of the battlefield.   I also personally got the sense they were more haunted than Gettysburg.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 03:46:17 PM »
Took some students a few years ago. The museum was very good, too. Some of the students and staff had done a book study that included Lincoln at Gettysburg so the cemetary was mewningfyl. We also saw Eisenhower's home.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 03:48:50 PM »
Travelling around Gettysburg to see the locations of the battles and see a lot of the monuments are best enjoyed if you can stay overnight or 2 nights. One day is just not enough time.

I took a bunch of pictures. Not as many as I thought at the time. I bought a postcard that shows 4 monuments, Indiana, New York, Pennsylvania, and Minnesota. Minnesota has a figure of a running C.W. soldier on top of the tall concrete or marble pedestal.

I agree! I have been twice now, first time for 1 night and the second time for 2 nights. Still need more time to explore!

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 04:03:41 PM »
For those of you in the area, please come to the illuminarium at Antietam in December.  23,000 candles are lit.  I try to go every year to help place and light the candles

Library Dragon

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 04:09:10 PM »
Gettysburg is a great place to visit.  On our first visit we hired one of the local, park sanctioned, guides to ride with us in the car and give us a tour.

The second time we took friends J & J, just returning to the US from living in Europe for 12 years.  They are historians, but had never been to Gettysburg.  We cluelessly took them on July 3rd.  During the filming of the mini-series Gettysburg.  J & J were over the moon ecstatic. 

Mr. J gave us the best tour we have ever experienced. He knew ever foot of the topography from his years of study.  It was wonderful to see Gettysburg through their eyes.  Exciting and and seeing the ripples through history because of this event. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2013, 08:57:56 PM »
For those of you in the area, please come to the illuminarium at Antietam in December.  23,000 candles are lit.  I try to go every year to help place and light the candles

I want to do this but I hear it's *crazy* crowded so that kept me away last year. 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 09:08:29 PM »

I'm close, so I might think about doing that.

That's one of the things I like about where I live, is there's so much history to it.  You can walk around downtown and see signs all over the place for how the Civil War affected our town.  I'm also about an hour from Gettysburg, and have been up there a few times though honestly I tend to visit the shops more than the battlefields.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata