Author Topic: Gettysburg  (Read 2306 times)

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Gettysburg
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 09:20:07 PM »
I actually meant to post the Illuminarium in the other thread, not sure what happened.  Roe, the lines are long, but it's a pretty powerful.  It's one of those things that you do once, take a ton of pictures and then you're good.

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 11:36:53 PM »
What a timely thread!

Can I take this opportunity to ask about the best ways of getting to Gettysburg without a car? I'm an Australian, who's planning on visiting the east coast of the USA in October. I'm hoping to do a day trip to Gettysburg.

However, I see that tour buses from Washington DC only appear to run on Thursdays. I haven't found any (in my online research) that run from Philadelphia or New York. I've heard that it's possible to catch an Amtrak train from one of those cities to Harrisburg, then catch a bus from Harrisburg to Gettysburg. This is what I'm thinking of, if it turns out I'm not in DC on a Thursday.

Any other ideas for ways on getting to Gettysburg? I guess I could always hire a car, but I'm not used to left-hand drive, and not confident of driving out of a large, busy city.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2013, 02:21:08 AM »
What a timely thread!

Can I take this opportunity to ask about the best ways of getting to Gettysburg without a car? I'm an Australian, who's planning on visiting the east coast of the USA in October. I'm hoping to do a day trip to Gettysburg.

However, I see that tour buses from Washington DC only appear to run on Thursdays. I haven't found any (in my online research) that run from Philadelphia or New York. I've heard that it's possible to catch an Amtrak train from one of those cities to Harrisburg, then catch a bus from Harrisburg to Gettysburg. This is what I'm thinking of, if it turns out I'm not in DC on a Thursday.

Any other ideas for ways on getting to Gettysburg? I guess I could always hire a car, but I'm not used to left-hand drive, and not confident of driving out of a large, busy city.

Gettysburg is a small town near the MD/PA border.  It's rather difficult to get there without a car unless you are willing to stay overnight.  When in October are you visiting?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2013, 07:11:45 AM »
I would think bus tour was pretty much the only other option.  It was and still is "out there"in location.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2013, 01:21:47 PM »
I don't mean this to be disrespectful of the soldiers who died there but I have always been interested in the hauntings and would like to stay at a haunted hotel.

Not disrespectful at all. I am into the paranormal as much as I am into history. I stayed at the Tillie Pierce Inn, which is well known for being haunted (I can confirm that).

It is very close to the battlefield, so good for walking to historic sites.

kymom3

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 02:52:57 PM »
We were in Gettysburg several years ago and took the haunted walking tour.  It was really good and we saw/heard some things that made my sons and I kind of, "did you hear...?  what was that??"  It was great.

We love history, and being from Kentucky, I had ancestors on both sides, one great great grandfather was in the Union cavalry, and his brother was a Confederate and was killed at Shiloh.  Another great great grandfather rode with John Hunt Morgan (Confederate), but was shot and captured and put in the Yankee prison in Cincinnati.

MissRose

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 05:21:54 PM »
My friend who lived near Gettysburg wanted to do the ghost tours but I will not do so - I still think due to her interest in the Civil War, she would have fit in way back then.  We have visited many of the old buildings including the Jennie Wade House in addition to the battlefields and the cemetery.

BatCity

• Duct Tape and Chicken Wire
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »
Wow! We were this close to going to Gettysburg last week while we were on vacation on the East Coast (we live in California). We had spent the week in Washington, DC and planned to get a rental car and drive to New York City, stopping at Gettysburg and Philadelphia on the way. At the last minute we decided to forego the rental car and take the train instead.

It was a good thing. DH hates crowds, and the day we were going to go was the anniversary of the battle. He would have been miserable, and he really wants to see it someday.  Well, there's always another trip.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 07:09:32 PM »
My sons (16 & 17) were there from 7/4-7/8 and watched several reenactments. They said that they would have watched more but it was extremely crowded and hot/humid. They did get to see Pickett's charge. I'm still jealous that their friends took them. They spent a lot of time in one of the reenactor stores -- hog heaven for these boys.

They flew to DC but took the train to Chicago to meet Mrs.k2002 and me. We're taking the Southwest Chief back to L.A.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 11:13:46 PM »
What a timely thread!

Gettysburg is a small town near the MD/PA border.  It's rather difficult to get there without a car unless you are willing to stay overnight.  When in October are you visiting?

It will be late October (not sure of the exact dates yet).

I would think bus tour was pretty much the only other option.  It was and still is "out there"in location.

Thanks Sharnita - it does look like the bus tour is the most (only?) practical option.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 05:35:45 PM »
Wow! We were this close to going to Gettysburg last week while we were on vacation on the East Coast (we live in California). We had spent the week in Washington, DC and planned to get a rental car and drive to New York City, stopping at Gettysburg and Philadelphia on the way. At the last minute we decided to forego the rental car and take the train instead.

It was a good thing. DH hates crowds, and the day we were going to go was the anniversary of the battle. He would have been miserable, and he really wants to see it someday.  Well, there's always another trip.

I wouldn't have gone near Gettysburg for a million dollars during the 150th anniversary! I think as many people were there are were at the battle itself! And while I'm not crowd-phobic, even I can't handle that!

judecat

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 07:38:27 PM »
I usually go to Gettysburg for my birthday every year (July 5th), or at least the Saturday closest to my birthday, to go out to dinner (at Frarnsworth house, and maybe do a ghost tour, and there are usually re-enactors there at least thru the weekend,  but this year there were 3 completely different groups of re-enactors running around,  and way to many people for me or my roommate to deal with.  We thought of the potential for traffic jams and decided to stay local.   
It's much less crowded during the school year,  even on weekends,  when most of the people who are there live within driving distance,  and there are not a million tourists.   There's nothing wrong with tourists,  but I hate crowds.
When the weather is cool,  and the days are short,  and the park is all but deserted,  you can stand at the high water mark and almost hear inside your mind the echo's of the battle.   Or standing in the field of pickets charge some can hear in their minds the crys of the wounded.

Asharah

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 07:47:50 PM »
My sister had to drive us up there the day after Thanksgiving when I was in high school so I could write a report for US history. Luckily you can pick up literature that gives you a blow by blow.

By the way, they have an episode of Haunted History on H2 tonight about Gettysburg ghosts.
Asharah

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2013, 12:57:06 PM »
We went there for the 150th reenactments, and although artk2002 was right (it was brutally hot) it was still a spectacle to behold.  Because it was the 150th, the number of reenactors there far exceeded the usual count, and the battles we watched were much more engaging because of it.  Seeing hundreds of cavalry clash, and thousands of soldiers shooting it out, while dozens of cannon were blasting away, was something I'll never forget.

And yeah, Suttler's Village (the area where all of the merchants set up) was really cool too.

Virg

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2013, 03:51:51 PM »
I really wanted to see that but it didn't work out.