Author Topic: I don't want to talk about it, thanks  (Read 23193 times)

lowspark

Re: I don't want to talk about it, thanks
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2013, 08:58:54 AM »
Great update!!

Regarding your experience on the stairs, I just wanted to say that one of the things that has really helped me to stay on track with exercising regularly (over the past 3+ years) is to forgive myself. Let me explain.

I built myself up slowly doing more and for longer over a long period of time. I have a regular routine I do every time. But sometimes, I just can't cut it. For whatever reason, I'm just not up to it, maybe physically or maybe mentally. So I do what I can. I cut back a little here or there, but I do something (no excuse to do nothing!) and just figure tomorrow will be better.

And I allow myself these lapses. I forgive myself. Part of the reason I was never successful losing weight and keeping it off in the past was that I figured once I cheated I would never be able to get back on the "diet" again. This attitude, for me, inevitably lead to failure.

Now, I figure, what the heck. No one is perfect. Just because I do great in my food choices and exercise every day for three weeks straight, for example, doesn't mean that I can't have not-so-great day on day 22. And 23 for that matter. What matters is that I forgive myself and get back on track on day 24. And onward.

So my point is, when you're exercising and you have to rest every once in a while, or if you can't do as much today as you did yesterday, or whatever, it's ok. Just keep going and try again the next day. Don't be discouraged by it. The very fact that you're doing any exercise at all has already put you ahead of the game.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2013, 09:52:36 AM »
Amen, lowspark!! Allowing yourself to not be perfect is the only way to make it through in the long run. Just don't let one day's problem stop you from keeping on.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2013, 11:29:37 AM »
Great update!!

Regarding your experience on the stairs, I just wanted to say that one of the things that has really helped me to stay on track with exercising regularly (over the past 3+ years) is to forgive myself. Let me explain.

I built myself up slowly doing more and for longer over a long period of time. I have a regular routine I do every time. But sometimes, I just can't cut it. For whatever reason, I'm just not up to it, maybe physically or maybe mentally. So I do what I can. I cut back a little here or there, but I do something (no excuse to do nothing!) and just figure tomorrow will be better.

And I allow myself these lapses. I forgive myself. Part of the reason I was never successful losing weight and keeping it off in the past was that I figured once I cheated I would never be able to get back on the "diet" again. This attitude, for me, inevitably lead to failure.

Now, I figure, what the heck. No one is perfect. Just because I do great in my food choices and exercise every day for three weeks straight, for example, doesn't mean that I can't have not-so-great day on day 22. And 23 for that matter. What matters is that I forgive myself and get back on track on day 24. And onward.

So my point is, when you're exercising and you have to rest every once in a while, or if you can't do as much today as you did yesterday, or whatever, it's ok. Just keep going and try again the next day. Don't be discouraged by it. The very fact that you're doing any exercise at all has already put you ahead of the game.

I've also learned to do this; not only with ďdietĒ and exercise, but other things as well. I sometimes am tired, cranky, PMSing, etc. and the last thing I want to eat is a salad. So I allow myself something I might not normally eat. A burger with fries, etc. And then get back on track the next day. Iíve found I do better if I can forgive my lapses, rather than beat myself up for them. And sometimes I just want to sit on the couch and do nothing, because Iím exhausted from working 2 jobs, and Iíve finally gotten to the point where Iím ok with that, every now and then.

Same idea, but not diet or weight related. When I moved out on my own, I told myself I HAD to clean every weekend. but then would get mad at myself for not doing it. Then I said, ok, Iíll clean whenever it needs it. but sometimes weeks would go by, and that didnít work either. I finally settled on every 2 weeks (I live alone with no pets, so my apt doesnít get all that dirty). But I still had this compulsion that all had to be done in one sitting. And Iíd get angry with myself when that didnít happen. now Iíve been able to let it go, and as long as it all gets done in the week its supposed to, Iím ok.

EllenS

« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2013, 12:24:48 PM »
Hey, GreenEyedHawk,

I wanted to share with you my favorite quote for this week, from Marina Silva of Brazi's Green Party:

"People ask me whether I am an optimist or a pessimist.  I am neither, I am only persistent."

wyliefool

« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2013, 09:07:12 AM »
It's frustrating, but as a PP said, persistence is the key. My thyroid failed years ago. It took a loooooooong time to be diagnosed. Then another loooong time for the meds to kick in so I could start living again. By that time I was utterly out of shape. I started riding the exercise bike, and would have to stop and catch my breath after 1/4 mile. I used to ride for miles as a teen. But I persisted. Bike, pant, bike, pant, gasp, bike. Slowly but surely I regained my strength. I plateaued at about 12 miles--after that my butt falls asleep.

So climb the stairs. Stop anytime you need to. Some day you'll be able to jog up those stairs!

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2013, 07:47:25 PM »
My issue these days seems to be that I have to keep reminding myself I am not on a time limit. 
"After all this time?"
"Always."

ettiquit

« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2013, 01:28:05 PM »
My issue these days seems to be that I have to keep reminding myself I am not on a time limit.

Once you get to the point where you don't have to remind yourself of that, it alleviates so much pressure and stress.  You'll get there!

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2013, 04:53:19 PM »
I agree very much with everything that lowspark has said. I've been working on increasing my exercise/activity level and losing weight for a year. I've met with some pretty significant success so far (I've lost 30 pounds and turned my gym habit into an actual habit), but I still have a long way to go. And honestly, though I am at the point where I can find some satisfaction out of the things I am doing, I don't really enjoy them. At least, not in the usual sense.

From my own experience with exercising, I have a few pieces of advice to offer (feel free to ignore them all :)). First, it's okay to not have any forms of physical activity that you particularly like. It's hard to like physical activity when you feel awful in your own skin, and when you're not in good shape. What's more important is not that you have a lot of fun being active. What's important is that you find a way to do it.

I have no basis for this theory, but I think that I, at least, will begin to like physical activity more as I get stronger and lose weight. It will stop being so hard, and I will have more room to enjoy it. For now, though, it's not my idea of fun, but it's not so onerous that it prevents me from doing it regularly.

Second, if you don't have them already, find yourself some workout clothes that make you feel good. I started out going to the gym wearing ratty old t-shirts and sweatpants I had lying around. Even though I am mostly alone when I use my apartment complex's fitness room, it exacerbated my feelings of insecurity about my body. I finally bit the bullet and bought some moisture-wicking t-shirts from Target that I only ever wear when I'm working out. Having workout clothes that I found flattering was a huge help in getting and keeping me motivated. I personally find that I prefer workout clothes that are relatively form-fitting, both because they are actually more comfortable, and because they make me feel good about myself. So I wear stretchy yoga pants and the form-fitting t-shirt, and am frequently known to admire how nice that combo makes my butt look. :)

Finally, with regard to food, I really like popcorn. I also find that popcorn is an excellent substitute for chips. It's not the same, not by a long shot, but it is often close enough to keep me away from chips for at least awhile. I also discovered that you can put plain kernels into a microwave safe bowl (covered with a microwave safe lid) and microwave the lot for about 4 minutes (give or take) to produce delicious popcorn that is essentially air popped.

I also discovered that my local fancy-pants grocery store (which has an excellent bulk foods and spices section) sells delicious white cheddar powder. Add that to microwave-popped popcorn with a bit of butter or oil (or even without fat) and some salt and garlic powder, and you've got white cheddar popcorn that is as delicious as the stuff you can buy. Not the same, but really yummy. And popcorn has the advantage of being a very filling snack that, all by itself, doesn't have much in the way of calories. Microwaving it the way I describe above also means you can make just one serving at a time very easily, which helps with portion control. It's just enough work that I am unlikely to go back for "seconds", though I always tell myself I can if I really want to.

cwm

« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2013, 05:07:07 PM »
Dindrane, I'd never thought of bulk popcorn spices.

I've been known to do the cast iron skillet popping, and then once the popcorn is made I usually put garlic or onion powder on them. I love garlic and Parmesan cheese on popcorn, and I love how full it makes me feel.

Also, I'm guilty of rice cakes too. Those things aren't the most delicious things in the world, but if you find a flavor that you like, they're not too bad and great snacks.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2013, 05:32:52 PM »
Great popcorn idea!  Thanks! :)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »
About the popcorn. 

I've also been told (by a physician) that one wonderful side effect of it is that it sort of ... well, you know ... keeps things moving. 

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
I've actually been making roasted chickpeas as a snack...either buy them canned or buy them dried from the bulk section and soak them overnight (chickpeas are also dirt-cheap) then dry them off (I do this by spreading them out on a paper towel on the kitchen counter and rubbing and rolling them around with another paper towel.  It works better in a cookie sheet to stop them rolling away and it loosens the skins really well)  Coat them in olive oil and whatever seasoning you like and cook them in the oven at 400F for about 30-40 minutes.  I usually stop them halfway and stir them around.  They're high in fibre and since they don't have much flavour in and of themselves, they take on a good amount of the flavour of whatever you season them with.  I've done lemon and dill, sea salt and pepper and (my personal favourite) Cajun spice.  I usually cook them for the full 40 minutes (depends a lot on your oven also) and they come out crunchy, like corn nuts.  They make a pretty satisfying salty snack.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2013, 08:07:56 PM »
I've actually been making roasted chickpeas as a snack...either buy them canned or buy them dried from the bulk section and soak them overnight (chickpeas are also dirt-cheap) then dry them off (I do this by spreading them out on a paper towel on the kitchen counter and rubbing and rolling them around with another paper towel.  It works better in a cookie sheet to stop them rolling away and it loosens the skins really well)  Coat them in olive oil and whatever seasoning you like and cook them in the oven at 400F for about 30-40 minutes.  I usually stop them halfway and stir them around.  They're high in fibre and since they don't have much flavour in and of themselves, they take on a good amount of the flavour of whatever you season them with.  I've done lemon and dill, sea salt and pepper and (my personal favourite) Cajun spice.  I usually cook them for the full 40 minutes (depends a lot on your oven also) and they come out crunchy, like corn nuts.  They make a pretty satisfying salty snack.

Those sound yummy.  I love chickpeas in all their glorious forms.  :)
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2013, 09:17:50 PM »
Oooo!  I haven't done the roasted chickpeas in a while.  I used to do them all the time.  I may need to get some. :)

random numbers

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2013, 02:09:11 PM »

Finally, with regard to food, I really like popcorn. I also find that popcorn is an excellent substitute for chips. It's not the same, not by a long shot, but it is often close enough to keep me away from chips for at least awhile. I also discovered that you can put plain kernels into a microwave safe bowl (covered with a microwave safe lid) and microwave the lot for about 4 minutes (give or take) to produce delicious popcorn that is essentially air popped.

I also discovered that my local fancy-pants grocery store (which has an excellent bulk foods and spices section) sells delicious white cheddar powder. Add that to microwave-popped popcorn with a bit of butter or oil (or even without fat) and some salt and garlic powder, and you've got white cheddar popcorn that is as delicious as the stuff you can buy. Not the same, but really yummy. And popcorn has the advantage of being a very filling snack that, all by itself, doesn't have much in the way of calories. Microwaving it the way I describe above also means you can make just one serving at a time very easily, which helps with portion control. It's just enough work that I am unlikely to go back for "seconds", though I always tell myself I can if I really want to.

Popcorn can also be popped in a brown paper lunch bag, sealed with tape.