Author Topic: Take your eyes off your phone!  (Read 3772 times)

Nemesis

Take your eyes off your phone!
« on: July 08, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
Recently in the university where I teach, students are walking around with their eyes plastered to their mobile phone. Some are even using their headphones, eyes on the mobile while they walk around the campus.

Now being 31 weeks pregnant, I am not particularly mobile these days. Plus, I am getting larger and and larger. It is becoming difficult to avoid being literally run into by a non-attentive person on his/her way to some place on the campus. Once, I had to stop walking and put my hands out to prevent a student from walking into me. It sort of worked, and I got a mumbled apology. However, I am not exactly built to take much collision either, being a rather tiny person at 5'4". And I don't relish risking being knocked over or hit in the stomach by their bags.

Can I and should I say something? Normally, If I can see the person from far away, I'd just make plenty of space. But there are times when they just turn into the corridor, and there's no time to move away. A simple "Excuse me" doesn't seem to work - they are far too engross in their mobile apps to even hear it.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Take your eyes off your phone!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:03:30 PM »
"Heads-up!"

Nice and loud, a cheery tone.

wyliefool

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:42:23 AM »
I can't wait until Google Glass becomes widely available. I'll have to start wearing football gear just to walk out the door.  ::)

YummyMummy66

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 11:07:07 AM »
Carry an air horn.  That will get their attention.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 11:28:40 AM »
I was going to suggest wearing a suit of armor with large spikes sticking out of it but I think TootsNYC's approach is a little better.  Although I'm fond of YummyMummy66's suggestion, too.   ;D

Maybe slightly less intrusive would be one of those Fox40 whistles if you are concerned they won't hear you yell over their headphones.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

cubemissy

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 06:26:57 PM »
"Heads-up!"

Nice and loud, a cheery tone.

Wherever that phrase originally came from, this is a perfect use for it!

PlainJane

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 10:32:36 AM »
Walk with an umbrella or a cane.

Use it as necessary.   ;)

cwm

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 11:37:32 AM »
You can get a nice safety whistle for fairly cheaply. And trust me, using it to prevent your stomach from being hit by an oblivious college student is perfect. Plus EVERYONE will be paying attention to that person who was about to walk into you. Added bonus to possibly shame them into paying attention.

I will admit to being glued to my phone on occasion, but if I do, I have a "designated walker" beside me steering me away from other people, holes in the sidewalk, street signs, and trees. Yes, I've had run-ins with all of them. Usually if I don't have someone to guide me, I step off to the side of the walkway and park myself until I'm done on my phone, though. It's a safety issue for me more than anyone else.

oogyda

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 12:18:06 PM »
Carry an air horn.  That will get their attention.

Wait!  I can't find the "Like" button. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 12:19:56 PM »

I will admit to being glued to my phone on occasion, but if I do, I have a "designated walker" beside me steering me away from other people, holes in the sidewalk, street signs, and trees. Yes, I've had run-ins with all of them. Usually if I don't have someone to guide me, I step off to the side of the walkway and park myself until I'm done on my phone, though. It's a safety issue for me more than anyone else.

http://improveverywhere.com/2013/04/30/seeing-eye-people/

Elisabunny

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 01:20:47 PM »
I believe the university town near us has banned "walking while texting."
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Nemesis

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 10:27:07 PM »
Update:

I tried "Heads up!" yesterday.

It didn't work on the person I tried it with. They never even noticed. At least I got out of their way fast enough that time. Somehow, I think they have an internal brain filter that cancels out any sound from the rest of the world.

Maybe I should just stay in my office and get someone to buy me my lunch.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 09:31:16 AM »
Time to move to the Fox40 whistle - they are less than $10 and have a very piercing sound.

And if that doesn't work, move on up to the air horn!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

strawbabies

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 10:44:32 AM »
Sorry, but I don't think using an air horn on a university campus is a good idea.  Even if it is between class times, there are likely to be people studying and that would be a distraction.

HyenaInPetticoats

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2013, 10:51:03 AM »
Sorry, but I don't think using an air horn on a university campus is a good idea.  Even if it is between class times, there are likely to be people studying and that would be a distraction.

I really think it was a joke  :)