General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Heroic Deeds by Celebs

<< < (2/10) > >>

DottyG:

--- Quote from: Two Ravens on July 10, 2013, 04:07:05 PM ---Some of these are less "heroic" and more "basic human decency," I think.

--- End quote ---

That was my thought as well.  I don't see some of them as being "heroic" at all.  If they didn't do the things they did, it would be newsworthy.  But the fact that they did something that anyone else would have done if they were there doesn't make them more special just because they have a name that everyone knows.

DottyG:

--- Quote from: jedikaiti on July 10, 2013, 03:53:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: DottyG on July 10, 2013, 01:40:57 PM ---
--- Quote ---The woman recalls that upon walking across New York's 7th Avenue that she was almost hit by Paltrow's Mercedes SUV barreling towards her.
--- End quote ---

I sure wouldn't consider this as being a polite way for a star to act.  True, the lady was late getting to the WTC that day, but it wasn't due to Paltrow and her dangerous driving.  I think this woman's guardian angels did 2 miracles in saving the woman that day.

--- End quote ---

Are you certain it was Paltrow's fault, rather than the lady's? A near miss like that could easily be either bad driving or an inattentive pedestrian.

--- End quote ---

Ok, so it was the lady's fault.  Same thing - Paltrow wasn't any kind of hero for stopping and not hitting the woman, regardless of whose "fault" it was.

(Although the "barreling towards her" description doesn't lend itself to my thinking Paltrow was driving in a safe manner to begin with.)

cwm:

--- Quote from: DottyG on July 10, 2013, 04:21:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: jedikaiti on July 10, 2013, 03:53:44 PM ---
--- Quote from: DottyG on July 10, 2013, 01:40:57 PM ---
--- Quote ---The woman recalls that upon walking across New York's 7th Avenue that she was almost hit by Paltrow's Mercedes SUV barreling towards her.
--- End quote ---

I sure wouldn't consider this as being a polite way for a star to act.  True, the lady was late getting to the WTC that day, but it wasn't due to Paltrow and her dangerous driving.  I think this woman's guardian angels did 2 miracles in saving the woman that day.

--- End quote ---

Are you certain it was Paltrow's fault, rather than the lady's? A near miss like that could easily be either bad driving or an inattentive pedestrian.

--- End quote ---

Ok, so it was the lady's fault.  Same thing - Paltrow wasn't any kind of hero for stopping and not hitting the woman, regardless of whose "fault" it was.

(Although the "barreling towards her" description doesn't lend itself to my thinking Paltrow was driving in a safe manner to begin with.)

--- End quote ---

I respectfully disagree. If you're driving down the street at, say, 35 miles per hour (a fairly standard suburb speed around here) and a pedestrian walks out right in front of you, you may not have been driving in an unsafe manner, even if you had a hard time stopping for them. But if you're walking, happen to forget to look before you cross the street, and then you look up and see a car coming right at you at the same 35 mph, in your memory, the car would have been "barreling towards" you. And memory is funny, a person can swear up, down, sideways, and twelve ways to tomorrow that they always look both ways before crossing the street, and they specifically remember looking that day and seeing nothing, but be misremembering and not have actually looked. In their mind, though, that car will have been going much faster than 35 mph, because otherwise they would have seen it sooner.

To be fair, I haven't read the article about Paltrow and the pedestrian.

DottyG:
Which is why I said "to my thinking" in that parenthetical sentence.

Since how Paltrow was driving isn't the important part of the story, I stand by my main comment:

--- Quote ---Ok, so it was the lady's fault.  Same thing - Paltrow wasn't any kind of hero for stopping and not hitting the woman, regardless of whose "fault" it was.
--- End quote ---

Twik:
I mentioned in an earlier thread about John Malkovich, starring in a play here in Toronto, coming to the aid of an elderly man who had fallen and cut his throat very badly.

The amusing part was that the man had no idea that his benefactor was anyone famous, just someone who said his name was "John" when asked. The man said afterwards he'd never watched any of Malkovich's movies, but planned to watch a lot of them during his recovery.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version