Author Topic: Heroic Deeds by Celebs  (Read 6273 times)

Lillie82

Heroic Deeds by Celebs
« on: July 08, 2013, 10:06:05 PM »
Perhaps not actually etiquette-related, in the sense that these may not reflect how the same celebs interact with fans or staff on a daily basis, but most of these are certainly classy (though I'm not positive that's the right word either).  :-\ They go beyond "polite" certainly.

http://www.etonline.com/news/132363_Celebrity_Heroes/index.html?page=OQ==&itmCnt=MA==

http://www.wgal.com/news/entertainment/-/9360122/8465718/-/4o94nrz/-/index.html

There are probably articles focusing on each of these individually. I've been biased and looked up my personal favorite, number 13 in the WGal article.  ;)

http://www.planetgarth.com/forums/showthread.php/123821-Garth-Brooks-Once-A-Hero-In-Oklahoma-Grass-Fires

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=114292&page=1#.Udttf_LD-M8

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Heroic Deeds by Celebs
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 01:40:57 PM »
The woman recalls that upon walking across New York's 7th Avenue that she was almost hit by Paltrow's Mercedes SUV barreling towards her.

I sure wouldn't consider this as being a polite way for a star to act.  True, the lady was late getting to the WTC that day, but it wasn't due to Paltrow and her dangerous driving.  I think this woman's guardian angels did 2 miracles in saving the woman that day.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:53:44 PM »
The woman recalls that upon walking across New York's 7th Avenue that she was almost hit by Paltrow's Mercedes SUV barreling towards her.

I sure wouldn't consider this as being a polite way for a star to act.  True, the lady was late getting to the WTC that day, but it wasn't due to Paltrow and her dangerous driving.  I think this woman's guardian angels did 2 miracles in saving the woman that day.

Are you certain it was Paltrow's fault, rather than the lady's? A near miss like that could easily be either bad driving or an inattentive pedestrian.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 04:06:39 PM »
Just hours after Taye Diggs appeared at the 2013 Screen Actors Guild Awards, the actor tackled a burglar at his home, police said.

How is this heroic?  As I said in another thread, one of my biggest pet peeves is dilution of the word "hero".  Protecting your own stuff isn't heroic.

Country star Garth Brooks came to the aid of two Oklahoma boys home alone on school vacation, banging on their door to evacuate them from a dangerous grass fire heading their way in 2000.

This, on the other hand, qualifies.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 04:07:05 PM »
Some of these are less "heroic" and more "basic human decency," I think.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 04:20:52 PM »
Some of these are less "heroic" and more "basic human decency," I think.

That was my thought as well.  I don't see some of them as being "heroic" at all.  If they didn't do the things they did, it would be newsworthy.  But the fact that they did something that anyone else would have done if they were there doesn't make them more special just because they have a name that everyone knows.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 04:21:45 PM »

Are you certain it was Paltrow's fault, rather than the lady's? A near miss like that could easily be either bad driving or an inattentive pedestrian.

Ok, so it was the lady's fault.  Same thing - Paltrow wasn't any kind of hero for stopping and not hitting the woman, regardless of whose "fault" it was.

(Although the "barreling towards her" description doesn't lend itself to my thinking Paltrow was driving in a safe manner to begin with.)

cwm

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 04:30:14 PM »

Ok, so it was the lady's fault.  Same thing - Paltrow wasn't any kind of hero for stopping and not hitting the woman, regardless of whose "fault" it was.

(Although the "barreling towards her" description doesn't lend itself to my thinking Paltrow was driving in a safe manner to begin with.)

I respectfully disagree. If you're driving down the street at, say, 35 miles per hour (a fairly standard suburb speed around here) and a pedestrian walks out right in front of you, you may not have been driving in an unsafe manner, even if you had a hard time stopping for them. But if you're walking, happen to forget to look before you cross the street, and then you look up and see a car coming right at you at the same 35 mph, in your memory, the car would have been "barreling towards" you. And memory is funny, a person can swear up, down, sideways, and twelve ways to tomorrow that they always look both ways before crossing the street, and they specifically remember looking that day and seeing nothing, but be misremembering and not have actually looked. In their mind, though, that car will have been going much faster than 35 mph, because otherwise they would have seen it sooner.

To be fair, I haven't read the article about Paltrow and the pedestrian.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 05:16:32 PM »
Which is why I said "to my thinking" in that parenthetical sentence.

Since how Paltrow was driving isn't the important part of the story, I stand by my main comment:

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 05:28:41 PM »
I mentioned in an earlier thread about John Malkovich, starring in a play here in Toronto, coming to the aid of an elderly man who had fallen and cut his throat very badly.

The amusing part was that the man had no idea that his benefactor was anyone famous, just someone who said his name was "John" when asked. The man said afterwards he'd never watched any of Malkovich's movies, but planned to watch a lot of them during his recovery.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Curious Cat

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 06:12:19 PM »
Which is why I said "to my thinking" in that parenthetical sentence.

Since how Paltrow was driving isn't the important part of the story, I stand by my main comment:

I don't understand why you're being so defensive? The other poster didn't say "Dotty you're wrong, here's why" she was just giving her opinion.

Personally I think a lot of people *wouldn't* have stopped - especially people who are used to having their every move scrutinized/photographed.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 06:42:06 PM »
I'm not being defensive.  Just saying that the speed at which she was going isn't the point of the story.  That's why I put my comment in parentheses.

I would hope a lot of people would stop!  My reading of the story was that she stopped to avoid hitting the lady.  If others would just run her over, we have another issue to contend with! :D

Edited to add the part of the story that makes me say the above that I'm reading it as that the alternative was hitting her:

....she was almost hit by Paltrow's Mercedes SUV barreling towards her. The actress quickly braked....

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:46:09 PM by DottyG »

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 06:45:22 PM »
Like I said above (agreeing with another poster), some of the stories do seem like heroic acts.  However, others seem like just common sense things that I would think many people would do - famous or not.  And not as much "heroic" as helpful to others.

Maybe others are interpreting the word "heroic" differently than I am.  That word has a connotation to me that is above and beyond what people would normally do.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 06:47:59 PM by DottyG »

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 07:00:16 PM »
Like I said above (agreeing with another poster), some of the stories do seem like heroic acts.  However, others seem like just common sense things that I would think many people would do - famous or not.  And not as much "heroic" as helpful to others.

Maybe others are interpreting the word "heroic" differently than I am.  That word has a connotation to me that is above and beyond what people would normally do.

Thank you for providing me an opportunity to dovetail in here.  :)

For me, heroism has a few requirements to be met.  One, the "hero" must be in danger.  Two, they must be performing a task for which they are not fully trained and which is not common for them.  And three, they must save someone's life, or at the very least limb, livelihood, or lifetime's fortune (such as stopping their house from burning to the ground.)

Yes, it's a little restrictive, but I don't truly believe all of any "occupation X" to be heroes... but it is possible to be a heroic person of that occupation.  Also, note that it's possible to be brave, strong, stalwart, daring, courageous, and a lifesaver *without* being a hero.  A hero is often heroic despite a lack of bravery... they don't think, they just do.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 07:03:10 PM »
This one kinda made me laugh the first time I read it (in a good way):

Brad Pitt saved an extra from being trampled on during a 700-person scene for his zombie film World War Z. The actor went into real-life hero mode when he noticed the female extra had fallen. Pitt reportedly then picked her up and carried her to safety.

I can just hear that girl afterwards. "Wait a minute!  WHO picked me up and carried me?!  Are you SERIOUS?!!!!"  She definitely has a tale for her grandchildren someday! :D