Author Topic: Heroic Deeds by Celebs  (Read 6461 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Heroic Deeds by Celebs
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2013, 07:04:27 PM »
A hero is often heroic despite a lack of bravery... they don't think, they just do.

Oooooo!  I love that sentence!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2013, 07:14:49 PM »
This one kinda made me laugh the first time I read it (in a good way):

Brad Pitt saved an extra from being trampled on during a 700-person scene for his zombie film World War Z. The actor went into real-life hero mode when he noticed the female extra had fallen. Pitt reportedly then picked her up and carried her to safety.

I can just hear that girl afterwards. "Wait a minute!  WHO picked me up and carried me?!  Are you SERIOUS?!!!!"  She definitely has a tale for her grandchildren someday! :D

That one definitely qualifies.  :)

CakeBeret

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2013, 08:43:05 PM »
A discussion board I used to be part of had a catchphrase, "Be a f'ing human." A bit crude, but it's a catchy phrase that puts me in mind of having human decency and respect for others. So when I see a celeb branded a hero for checking on someone who fell in front of them, that falls under "be a f'ing human". It's not special, it's just being a decent human. Pounding on doors to make sure people get evacuated because of spreading wildfire, on the other hand, is squarely in heroic territory, in my opinion.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2013, 02:44:50 PM »
Like I said above (agreeing with another poster), some of the stories do seem like heroic acts.  However, others seem like just common sense things that I would think many people would do - famous or not.  And not as much "heroic" as helpful to others.

Maybe others are interpreting the word "heroic" differently than I am.  That word has a connotation to me that is above and beyond what people would normally do.

One of the things that irritates me is when I hear someone being called a hero for doing their job.  When a fireman gets a kitten out of a tree and is called a "local hero" I actually find that offensive - it's his job and quite frankly there isn't much danger in that role.  Now when he runs into a burning building and saves a life, even though that's HIS JOB, that is heroic in my eyes.  YKWIM ?

Same for a policeman that is hailed as a hero because he has walked the same beat for 10 years - whoo hoo, that's what he signed up for.  Now when he pulls a woman out of the path of a runaway bus or drags someone out of a burning car - then he's a hero. 

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2013, 03:21:50 PM »
Like I said above (agreeing with another poster), some of the stories do seem like heroic acts.  However, others seem like just common sense things that I would think many people would do - famous or not.  And not as much "heroic" as helpful to others.

Maybe others are interpreting the word "heroic" differently than I am.  That word has a connotation to me that is above and beyond what people would normally do.

One of the things that irritates me is when I hear someone being called a hero for doing their job.  When a fireman gets a kitten out of a tree and is called a "local hero" I actually find that offensive - it's his job and quite frankly there isn't much danger in that role.  Now when he runs into a burning building and saves a life, even though that's HIS JOB, that is heroic in my eyes.  YKWIM ?

Same for a policeman that is hailed as a hero because he has walked the same beat for 10 years - whoo hoo, that's what he signed up for.  Now when he pulls a woman out of the path of a runaway bus or drags someone out of a burning car - then he's a hero.

Respectfully, I have to disagree that a firefighter that pulls someone out of a burning building is a hero.  He's a brave, courageous life saver... but he was trained to do that.  For me, that's the prime difference.  It's something he knows is within his ability to do.  For me, a hero has to be exceeding his known limits to be a hero.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2013, 03:40:30 PM »

Respectfully, I have to disagree that a firefighter that pulls someone out of a burning building is a hero.  He's a brave, courageous life saver... but he was trained to do that.  For me, that's the prime difference.  It's something he knows is within his ability to do.  For me, a hero has to be exceeding his known limits to be a hero.
Cory Booker is a hero. He is the mayor of a city and he - twice! - helped save people from a burning building. No training, no nothing - he just ran in and did it.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2013, 03:55:08 PM »

Cory Booker is a hero. He is the mayor of a city and he - twice! - helped save people from a burning building. No training, no nothing - he just ran in and did it.
Perfect example of what I'm talking about!

cwm

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2013, 04:02:45 PM »
A discussion board I used to be part of had a catchphrase, "Be a f'ing human." A bit crude, but it's a catchy phrase that puts me in mind of having human decency and respect for others. So when I see a celeb branded a hero for checking on someone who fell in front of them, that falls under "be a f'ing human". It's not special, it's just being a decent human. Pounding on doors to make sure people get evacuated because of spreading wildfire, on the other hand, is squarely in heroic territory, in my opinion.

That reminds me of Wheaton's Law. "Don't be a (insert d-word for male genitalia here)." And there's a difference between following Wheaton's Law and heroism.

I don't think heroism has to be doing something that one isn't trained in doing. To me, it's about personal risk. A firefighter trained in going into burning buildings to save people is doing so at great personal risk, despite their training and tools. A firefighter rescuing a kitten from a tree is not. As we've heard in the news lately, people can be trained as firefighters, have the tools they need, be fully trained and the best of the best, and still die doing the job. When they do it risking themselves, it's more likely to be a heroic deed rather than doing it with little to no personal risk.

So yeah, stopping a car to see if someone's okay? Not a hero. Saving an extra from a stampede? More likely to be a hero.

Kaypeep

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2013, 04:18:33 PM »
On a related note, I can't believe this list of celebrities heroes did not include Mark Harmon pulling a guy out of a burning car. 
(Yet more proof that most of these online Top X slideshow web pages are usually a waste....)

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/05/14/ncis-star-mark-harmon-a-real-life-hero/

ETA: I can't believe I didn't mention my OWN brush with a real life celebrity hero!  In 1984 or 85, I forget the exact year, Matthew Broderick pulled me to the curb in the Village and saved me from being hit by a speeding taxicab.   Thank you, Matthew Broderick!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 04:20:50 PM by Kaypeep »

Lillie82

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2013, 07:16:56 PM »
Some of these are less "heroic" and more "basic human decency," I think.

Whoops. Didn't realize I'd end up sparking a debate about the meaning of heroism. I take responsibility for not having read some of these more closely.  :-[ Yeah, the Mark Harmon story would have been better than some of the ones used.

Pounding on doors to make sure people get evacuated because of spreading wildfire, on the other hand, is squarely in heroic territory, in my opinion.

I actually kind of wanted to just share the one about Brooks (who is really the only one from these articles that I 'follow' in any way) and the fires - and thought that was too biased of me. ;D Brooks also pointed out that the firemen he was assisting were VOLUNTEER firefighters, and that they didn't get the same recognition as he did.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2013, 08:43:32 PM »
Whoops. Didn't realize I'd end up sparking a debate about the meaning of heroism. I take responsibility for not having read some of these more closely.

Don't be sorry for posting it!  It's an enlightening discussion about what a hero is and what people interpret that to mean.  It's a good thread. :)

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2013, 09:31:55 PM »
Whoops. Didn't realize I'd end up sparking a debate about the meaning of heroism. I take responsibility for not having read some of these more closely.
Don't be sorry for posting it!  It's an enlightening discussion about what a hero is and what people interpret that to mean.  It's a good thread. :)

Agreed, it's a very interesting thread! If anyone's curious, here's a article by Richard Branson's mother Eve about what happened when Kate Winslet saved her. Mrs. Branson sounds like an amazing person.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2283984/The-night-Kate-Winslet-saved-inferno-Branson-island-Eve-Branson-recalls-nearly-lost-life-fire.html

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 11:58:17 PM »
I think Emergency Responders can be considered heroes even if they are 'just doing their job'.  Think of all the 9/11 responders.

And the fireman who saved the kitten from the tree is probably a hero to the little girl to whom the kitten belongs.   :)

Some of the stories are definitely heroic - Garth Brooks, Brad Pitt, John Malkovich, for example.

But I don't think the Gwenyth Paltrow one even counts as 'being a [redacted] human', unless there is more to the story and the pedestrian was doing something wrong.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2013, 12:50:56 AM »
I think Emergency Responders can be considered heroes even if they are 'just doing their job'.  Think of all the 9/11 responders.

And the fireman who saved the kitten from the tree is probably a hero to the little girl to whom the kitten belongs.   :)

Some of the stories are definitely heroic - Garth Brooks, Brad Pitt, John Malkovich, for example.

But I don't think the Gwenyth Paltrow one even counts as 'being a [redacted] human', unless there is more to the story and the pedestrian was doing something wrong.

9/11 was a special circumstance... I don't think anyone was remotely ready for that kind of scene.  I agree they were all heroes, just because (as I mentioned) it's all about surpassing what your known limits are, and I think everyone did so that day.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2013, 01:04:40 AM »

9/11 was a special circumstance... I don't think anyone was remotely ready for that kind of scene.  I agree they were all heroes, just because (as I mentioned) it's all about surpassing what your known limits are, and I think everyone did so that day.

Oh the 9/11 responders were (in my mind) most definitely heroes. In all areas affected (I know someone who was at the Pentagon when it was hit, so I want to make sure that, when 9/11 is mentioned, the non-WTC areas are noted as well. Not that the above posters weren't doing so, but the other locations do seem to be left out sometimes when that day is talked about, so I wanted to make sure I included them.)

I also know someone that was just a few feet from the WTC. This is a tangent, but he's still dealing with the effects of what happened - even now. That was a dark, dark day in history. :(

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:07:37 AM by DottyG »