Author Topic: Heroic Deeds by Celebs  (Read 6974 times)

Amava

Re: Heroic Deeds by Celebs
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2013, 01:46:57 AM »
A discussion board I used to be part of had a catchphrase, "Be a f'ing human." A bit crude, but it's a catchy phrase that puts me in mind of having human decency and respect for others. So when I see a celeb branded a hero for checking on someone who fell in front of them, that falls under "be a f'ing human". It's not special, it's just being a decent human. Pounding on doors to make sure people get evacuated because of spreading wildfire, on the other hand, is squarely in heroic territory, in my opinion.

I think the fact that people are branded "heroes" for "just being an f'ing human", comes from the fact that so many people these days completely FAIL at "being a human" in that way.
It is indeed sad that we see "stopping to help someone who has fallen over on the street" as the deed of a hero, because it indicates the much more sad thing that so many do NOT stop.
How often do we hear about "the bystander effect" and people thinking "oh someone else will help, I'll just mind my own business".

For example, my father in law once tripped and fell in a subway station, slid ten meter further over the floor on his stomach (because momentum! he had been in a hurry) and had his bag slide even much further away. (By the way, if any readers laugh at this part, don't feel guilty. He finds it quite comical in hindsight too, and loves to tell it again and again. And it seems like each time he retells the story, he and his bag get a little more momentum and slide further.  ;) )

Nobody helped. Sure he was able-bodied enough to help himself up, eventually,  but couldn't someone have stopped to see whether he was okay?

I can see why the "hero" wording might annoy people and seem over the top, but I always like to read about people acting like decent human beings, celebrities or not! It makes me happy and gives me hope.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:50:16 AM by Amava »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 09:29:37 AM »
In the case you mention I would have asked if he was all right but I think it can actually be tricky when somebody falls down.  If they are obviously, seriously hurt you go to their aid.  If they look like they might be all right what do you do?  DO you pretend like you didn't even notice or like they "meant to do that" so they can get up and brush off their dignity?

I lived on a campus where it was icy a good 6 months (sometimes more) out of the year.  As a result it was not uncommon to see people slip and fall on the way to or from class or meals.  If they were strangers you weren't quite sure if you should say something or just pretend like it hadn't happened.  I slipped and went down a few times myself and understood either reaction.

Amava

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2013, 09:41:15 AM »
I don't see stumbling and falling as a loss of dignity, so I don't think it would occur to me to ignore it to preserve the stumbler's dignity.
I would certainly ask if someone is okay if they don't get up immediately.
But I'm also ready to take "I'm okay" or "Leave me alone" for an answer and not fuss over them in an embarrassing or intrusive way if they say that.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2013, 09:47:13 AM »
http://www.myhero.com/go/hero.asp?hero=P_Newman

Paul Newman will always be my hero - the kind of person I would like to be. There isn't one specific heroic act to point to that makes him a hero; he dedicated his adult life to exploiting own fame and fortune to help others, especially children with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. His salad dressing isn't too bad, either :D

(I may be a tad biased since I was lucky enough to be a camper at Hole in the Wall for several summers and ate dinner with Mr. Newman a couple times - I was too young at the time to realize who he was!)

Lillie82

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »
A little OT because it's not about a celebrity, but re the meaning of heroism:

One night a few years ago I went to meeting of the elected body of my small town, and (although it was not the reason I originally went) saw the fire department give a "certificate of commendation" to someone I knew slightly from high school, who is now an employee of a league of recreational sports teams. During the senior game, one of the elderly gentlemen on the team had a massive heart attack; my former classmate saved his life with CPR. The 9-1-1 call said "unconscious person," but the patient was conscious when the EMTs got there.

The organization had had the employees trained in CPR, but they were not medical professionals. Not sure if it should be called just part of the job, though.

Now that I think about it, I don't think the fire department actually used the word "hero," when presenting the certificate, but they said several times the gentleman would not have survived if the employee hadn't performed CPR, and that the family "thanks deity every day" that he did. The person being commended was gracious enough to thank his employers for having the staff trained in CPR, and thank the fire department for their good work.

The council people and everyone applauded in unison. One of the more uplifting moments I've experienced at a political meeting, for sure. :D

So it's possible to save a life without being at personal risk. I don't know if it requires "courage," but certainly presence of mind.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2013, 04:20:04 PM »
I'd call him a hero. :)

Lillie82

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2013, 04:51:18 PM »
I thought of this in etiquette terms: it seems like, at least, it would be very rude to contradict the family of the heart attack patient if they used the word "hero." :D

PurpleFrog

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2013, 04:52:52 PM »
http://www.indieking.com/E55.html

My nomination, Steve Buscemi, having been a firefighter in his youth he went to his old firehouse and volenteered to work at Ground Zero. While he was trained it had Bern around 20 Yeats since he left the fire brigade, so I'd say he qualifies.
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2013, 05:36:31 PM »

My nomination, Steve Buscemi, having been a firefighter in his youth he went to his old firehouse and volenteered to work at Ground Zero. While he was trained it had Bern around 20 Yeats since he left the fire brigade, so I'd say he qualifies.

Can I just say that this is some pretty awesome autocorrect?

And I agree with you.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2013, 09:04:07 PM »
I thought of this in etiquette terms: it seems like, at least, it would be very rude to contradict the family of the heart attack patient if they used the word "hero." :D

It would also be rude to contradict the parents of an ugly baby if they said their baby was cute.  Some things really are in the eye of the beholder.

Besides, I think there's a difference also between being "a hero" and being "somebody's hero".  The requirements for the latter are less strict.  :)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2013, 09:29:37 PM »

Can I just say that this is some pretty awesome autocorrect?

And I agree with you.

Awesome autocorrect, and awesome story! I had no idea!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Mikayla

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2013, 03:18:50 PM »
To me, a hero is anyone who performs an action and I'm not sure I would have had the courage to do the same. 

When it comes to firefighters, I don't think saving a kitten is heroic, simply because I've done it myself at least twice.  Those 19 firefighters in Prescott AZ who gave their lives to save a town?  When firefighters have to deploy shelters, it's the ultimate Hail Mary pass, and they know at that point they will likely die in the most painful of ways.

So the training issue doesn't matter to me.  It's about what they did and how far they were willing to go to save or protect others.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2013, 07:16:55 PM »

It would also be rude to contradict the parents of an ugly baby if they said their baby was cute.  Some things really are in the eye of the beholder.

Besides, I think there's a difference also between being "a hero" and being "somebody's hero".  The requirements for the latter are less strict.  :)

Excellent way of putting it. :)

silvercelt

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2013, 08:54:13 PM »
I'm surprised that Gerard Butler isn't mentioned in those articles.  He saved a boy from drowning.

Seiryuu

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2013, 02:14:23 AM »
No one mentioned the Sean Connery/Lana Turner incident?