Author Topic: Just how old ARE you, anyway?  (Read 5188 times)

Charliebug

Re: Just how old ARE you, anyway?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 11:27:15 PM »
Just out of curiousity, are there any distinguishing features about this particular artifact that would make it particularly interesting to nefarious types Janice? I am not taking away from the fact your Dad and yourself do not consider FB a valuable use of your time or a safe way to communicate, I am simply wondering if this particular piece was the reason for the caution or if the blanket rule about posting FB pictures of anything belonging to your family extended to say, the blender?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 04:27:38 PM »
I also think that you (OP) and your dad have some very strong opinions and misconceptions about Facebook that probably make you overreact quite a bit and jump straight to the worst case scenario.

This is pretty a pretty condescending statement. You're making some assumptions here yourself.

My opinions on the FB behavior I've observed are my own business. I don't go around telling people not to use it or how to use it UNLESS somebody does something with it that invades my privacy. I work in information security. I cannot count the number of times I've had dealt with people who have had dumb stuff they posted on FB come back to bite them. And these are people who supposedly had their privacy settings correct. Once something is on the internet, it's out there forever. As another poster said, would you want photos of yourself and your belongings slapped up on walls and trees all over town?

What I'm speaking about is this:

What is it about Facebook that makes most of the people I've observed on it act like narcissistic 12 year olds?

I think that if you aren't on Facebook and don't use it, tarring people who do with insults about the emotional age and self-involvement is a little much.  Some people enjoy Facebook; you do not.  If you can think of it that way (you're all adults who simply like different things), rather than as how much better you are than people who are on Facebook, you may get a better response from your family members.

I have to say,I 'm starting to get frustrated with these sorts of blanket statements about how immature people are on social media.

I've *never* had drama on social media that struck me as all the weird. I had Rude Political Uncle, but honestly that was a minor blip. And he was far ruder via electronic media than he'd ever be in real life, but he's one guy out of many others. And a few small exchanges out of *thousands* of very productive and enriching ones.

I never see drama on other people's posts. I just don't.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »

Same here.  With a few minor situations of people (from this site actually!) targetting me to mock on a special page using my publicly available cover photos (I was alerted to this by mutual friends) I have had no issues.  Frankly, I don't even count that as an issue because it only made me laugh and feel sorry for those people for investing so much time and energy into me!

cwm

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2013, 04:44:21 PM »

Same here.  With a few minor situations of people (from this site actually!) targetting me to mock on a special page using my publicly available cover photos (I was alerted to this by mutual friends) I have had no issues.  Frankly, I don't even count that as an issue because it only made me laugh and feel sorry for those people for investing so much time and energy into me!

I see drama on plenty of people's posts.

Then again, these are the people who have drama all over their lives, so to have it spill over into FB isn't really out of character for them.

The biggest problem I see is that sarcasm doesn't come across very well on FB, and that's how most of my family and friends communicate, so if there's something that's particularly touchy, it can get messy quickly. But we've learned to be clear when we're using sarcasm, for the most part.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2013, 05:31:52 PM »
Yeah, the people who have drama all over their fb page tend to be dramatic away from fb.  And if sis is telling peope about ldad's Rolex or whatever on fb then it seems likely she would be mentioning it to people IRL, too.  facebook doesn't create these thinfs in most cases.