Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

Trying to replicate a recipe... *sigh*

<< < (2/5) > >>

Dazi:

--- Quote from: mharbourgirl on July 09, 2013, 02:30:56 PM ---Ehellions, help!  I'm trying to replicate a discontinued product that my husband used to love, but it's not going well.  He can remember how it tasted, but he can't describe it to me accurately enough for me to even come close.  I've had decent success in the past at resurrecting things for him, but this one has us both stumped.

Does anyone remember the original line of Lipton Rice 'n' Sauce packets, and specifically, the one called 'Polynesian Rice'?  DH just can't put names to the specific flavour elements even though he can remember how it tasted, so I'm stumped. Especially since his description of the (possible) fruit flavour is 'tangy'.  ::)  Was it papaya, lemon grass, was there coconut milk in it, cinnamon, ?????  Pineapple doesn't seem to be the right 'tangy', I can confirm that.

The company that produced it has since been bought by another company, and nobody will give me the time of day since it is technically proprietary info.  I get that, but I'm not asking for the specific proportions of ingredients used in a factory, just a general idea of what it actually tasted like so I can give my husband something that would make him happy.  I can replicate anything if I know what it tasted like.

If anyone has ANY ideas, please let me know.  Y'all are really good at coming up with the most obscure info sometimes, so that's why I'm asking here.

Thanks!

--- End quote ---

Super taster here! I remember this rice...my DH loved it as well.  From the best of my recollection it had the flavor notes of:

Onion
Bell pepper
Papaya (might have been mango, but I'm pretty sure it was papaya)
(just a splash) Pineapple juice, orange juice, lemon zest
soy sauce
Sprinkle of brown sugar
Splash of rice vinegar

Shoo:
It also probably had MSG in it, which intensifies whatever flavors were in there.  It's hard to make a dish from scratch that tastes like a dish enhanced by MSG.

magician5:
The tang also might have been partly tamarind.

I like Dazi's analysis above.

Dazi:

--- Quote from: magician5 on July 10, 2013, 11:24:06 PM ---The tang also might have been partly tamarind.

I like Dazi's analysis above.

--- End quote ---

Thanks!

I don't recall tamarind in that rice mix though. If it had any, it was very, very little. I love tamarind, so I'm pretty sure I would have remembered that (probably would be great with it).  I know I had trouble eating much of it because I'm allergic to soy and it had a quite a lot of soy sauce in it. 

mharbourgirl:

--- Quote from: Dazi on July 10, 2013, 06:22:31 PM ---Super taster here! I remember this rice...my DH loved it as well.  From the best of my recollection it had the flavor notes of:

Onion
Bell pepper
Papaya (might have been mango, but I'm pretty sure it was papaya)
(just a splash) Pineapple juice, orange juice, lemon zest
soy sauce
Sprinkle of brown sugar
Splash of rice vinegar

--- End quote ---

Hah!  I KNEW it had to be papaya, but DH was sure it wasn't even though he's never actually tasted it.  ::) I've actually put all the rest in my creations, except for the rice vinegar only because I don't typically keep it around.  I WAS thinking there might be tamarind in there, but I've never cooked with it, only tasted it in things.  I'll keep it in reserve just in case.

Woot!  Ehell comes through, as always!  Ya'll are awesome!  I am so stoked!

Okay, okay, calming down now, but thanks so much!  ;D

Oh, before I forget, do you think I should use a fresh papaya (think I can find one at the shop) or canned?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version