Author Topic: How long do I wait?  (Read 1998 times)

NyaChan

How long do I wait?
« on: July 16, 2013, 12:04:21 AM »
I received an email late Friday evening from our Career Development Department at my law school (I'm a recent grad) about an opportunity for a fellowship.  It wasn't clear who all received the email, but it said to respond if you were interested and the application information would be sent to you.  I was really interested in this and immediately responded that night, figuring that since the email signed off with "Have a good weekend" I wouldn't hear back until Monday. 

I haven't heard back yet, and I know it has only been one business day, but if I don't hear anything tomorrow either, when do you think it would be okay for me to contact them for the information again and how would you word it?  An "I don't know if you received my previous email...?"

Library Dragon

Re: How long do I wait?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 12:07:17 AM »
I'd wait until Wednesday, but send with a read receipt for the email (if possible).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 03:31:43 AM »
Follow up with a phone call today. 
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:59:03 AM »
I'd wait until Wednesday, but send with a read receipt for the email (if possible).

I hate those. I get a pop up that says a read receipt was request and to click yes to send. I always hit no and my opinion of the person goes down a notch.

cwm

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 12:01:31 PM »

I hate those. I get a pop up that says a read receipt was request and to click yes to send. I always hit no and my opinion of the person goes down a notch.

Yes, but sometimes they're absolutely necessary. I worked with a girl who was in constant email contact with her manager, which accounted for 90% of her emails. He required them, not only because he wanted them, but also so in case of problems she could go back and prove that she had sent it and that he had marked it read. She changed it to send out on all of her emails rather than checking it every single time with him.

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 12:04:57 PM »

Yes, but sometimes they're absolutely necessary. I worked with a girl who was in constant email contact with her manager, which accounted for 90% of her emails. He required them, not only because he wanted them, but also so in case of problems she could go back and prove that she had sent it and that he had marked it read. She changed it to send out on all of her emails rather than checking it every single time with him.

That is true - but the person who wanted them for me didn't need them. I can't even remember what the issue was but it was very minor and she didn't need any proof that I read the emails. I don't even think it was business related. In this case I would be a bit taken aback that someone who is sending me a resume doesn't believe that I actually read my emails and needs proof that it was done.

EllenS

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 12:32:41 PM »
I would call on Tuesday.

workerbee

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
Just send another polite email - I get so many email requests from students (particularly over the weekend), that it's very easy for things to drop off my radar.

Opinions can vary, but I generally appreciate a gentle reminder (i.e. not, "hey, can I get this already!" but rather "Just wanted to be sure you received my email. I don't want to be a pest, but I'm very interested!").

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 12:07:46 PM »

That is true - but the person who wanted them for me didn't need them. I can't even remember what the issue was but it was very minor and she didn't need any proof that I read the emails. I don't even think it was business related. In this case I would be a bit taken aback that someone who is sending me a resume doesn't believe that I actually read my emails and needs proof that it was done.

It's not about assuming whether *you* read your e-mails. It's about the trustworthiness of the e-mail system in delivering e-mails with attachments.

I've sent a number of e-mails off, only to find out that the recipients never got them, due to various technological reasons. If I don't get a read receipt back, I don't think "Lazy recipient, not reading her e-mail," I think, "Oops, there's a glitch here, better contact her and work out a way to ensure delivery".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 12:11:58 PM »

It's not about assuming whether *you* read your e-mails. It's about the trustworthiness of the e-mail system in delivering e-mails with attachments.

I've sent a number of e-mails off, only to find out that the recipients never got them, due to various technological reasons. If I don't get a read receipt back, I don't think "Lazy recipient, not reading her e-mail," I think, "Oops, there's a glitch here, better contact her and work out a way to ensure delivery".

I think the first step is determining that there is a glitch and the person isn't actually getting your emails. Unless you put into your note that you have been having a lot of problems with your email so are requesting a return receipt to make sure it actually got there I am going to assume the only reason you are doing it is because you are afraid I am either not going to read it, or that I am going to claim I didn't get it when I actually did. And that isn't exactly where you want to start a relationship with someone who you want something from.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 12:14:13 PM »
I think you're assuming malice where there is known. If I get a request for a read receipt, I assume the sender is merely thinking, "It's important that I know if you got this in a timely manner."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

MrTango

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 12:20:55 PM »
I think you're assuming malice where there is known. If I get a request for a read receipt, I assume the sender is merely thinking, "It's important that I know if you got this in a timely manner."

That's usually what I'm thinking if I send an email requesting a read-receipt.

Of course, on the rare occasion it's not a technical glitch, you can use the "Message was deleted without being read" message as proof that someone isn't doing their job.

wolfie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 12:26:26 PM »

That's usually what I'm thinking if I send an email requesting a read-receipt.

Of course, on the rare occasion it's not a technical glitch, you can use the "Message was deleted without being read" message as proof that someone isn't doing their job.

Except you don't know that. I have my mail set up so that I can see a preview panel of the note. So I frequently read and delete messages without ever opening them.

NyaChan

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »
Well as I was composing the email yesterday evening, I received the response with the contact information.  Guess I should have just been patient  ::) 

I've actually never used read receipts myself, though I've received some when I was working and official notices were sent out.  I would think of it as ok in a job setting, not okay in a personal setting, but then this particular situation is kind of in between as yes, she is doing her job, but I'm not her coworker or client (I think...?) so it would feel presumptuous to me to put a read receipt on it, as if she has some obligation to read and reply to it.  Though I suppose she does have that obligation, so, hmmm...Yeah I think I'm not savvy enough for read receipts just yet lol