Author Topic: This sounds condescending? Opinions please  (Read 3535 times)

audrey1962

Re: This sounds condescending? Opinions please
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 04:47:21 PM »
I think our opinions will be colored by our backgrounds. I personally find "valid" condescending and redundant. And as a PP mentioned, the entire sentence is awkward.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2013, 07:19:56 PM »
Valid is precise. Valid is a good word.

However, if the boss is not a precise person, they may not understand this, and see it in a negative light. I get into this regularly with a teammate that isn't good with precision in language.

But I don't see it as really having to do with being precise.  Including valid in the request doesn't really get you anything more than if you just left it out.  Because, as someone else mentioned, if someone is going to provide an invalid number (not sure why they would go through the trouble in this particular situation, but puttting that aside) then they will whether or not the emails says valid.  And, as others have said, if you want the best number then "best" would be more precise.  Or if you are looking for updated information then "current" would likely be more precise.  To use corporate speak, I just don't see the "value add" of including "valid" and instead see the chance that someone will infer that you think they are either dishonest or stupid enough to use an invalid one.  But that's just my opinion. :)

Also to be totally precise, a "valid" number could be anyone's number -- not necessarily your own  :)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 08:09:07 AM »
Valid is precise. Valid is a good word.

However, if the boss is not a precise person, they may not understand this, and see it in a negative light. I get into this regularly with a teammate that isn't good with precision in language.

But I don't see it as really having to do with being precise.  Including valid in the request doesn't really get you anything more than if you just left it out.  Because, as someone else mentioned, if someone is going to provide an invalid number (not sure why they would go through the trouble in this particular situation, but puttting that aside) then they will whether or not the emails says valid.  And, as others have said, if you want the best number then "best" would be more precise.  Or if you are looking for updated information then "current" would likely be more precise.  To use corporate speak, I just don't see the "value add" of including "valid" and instead see the chance that someone will infer that you think they are either dishonest or stupid enough to use an invalid one.  But that's just my opinion. :)

Also to be totally precise, a "valid" number could be anyone's number -- not necessarily your own  :)
True. But at least the e-mail wouldn't bounce or the phone would ring to a human. This being the object, that would be a good thing, wouldn't it?

cwm

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 01:13:03 PM »
Well, thanks for all your great replies. I didn't even think about how it might come off differently to others.

In the end, though, within an hour of sending me that email, the boss took that duty out of my hands. Kind of. Now it's split between me and the salespeople, with them having the ones most likely to actually garner a response (system wouldn't let them finish application) and me with the ones less likely (they walked away and left the application process).

Oh well. Shuffling of duties seems to be a weekly job around here.