My DH and I were just discussing this last week because our DD will be an incoming Freshman in the fall. We were talking about how when we went through college orientation, we are pretty sure there was no "parent's orientation program". For DD's, the parents were invited to join the sessions with the academic counselors, had a session for parents only on registration, grading, scheduling, campus resources, and others on safety, finance, meal plans and dorm life and how to stay involved.
We laughed about how universities are complaining about helicopter parents but IMHO are encouraging that behavior.
We are funding 85% of DD's education and are requiring her to fund the other 15% for up to 10 semesters. For this agreement to stay in place she must maintain a minimum GPA, just as she would if it was an outside scholarship. If she falls below that, she'll need to return home and enroll in a local college.
I was concerned about what I perceived as a very light first semester load that she and her academic counselor came up with. But because she already had her freshman English, Math and History credits, they didn't want to enroll her in sophmore levels of those classes, so I kept my mouth shut (well, except for one outburst of "15 hours of mostly electives, are you kidding me?
DD will be in school about 9 hours away. While we plan to go up to help her move in and Family weekend, I am not going to be tracking her classwork for her or reminding her that X is coming up. That is her job. I'll be here for her to talk to if she wishes, I'll offer input when requested (and maybe a few times when not), I'll discuss the pros and cons of different majors.