Author Topic: No shirt no shoes no service- at what age?  (Read 5953 times)

Roe

• Super Hero!
Re: No shirt no shoes no service- at what age?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
My children were always fully dressed when out in public.  Shoes, shirts, pants/shorts.

The other day, my DH was working in the yard and it was a very hot day.  My very surprised youngest son says to his older brother "Dad is shirtless!"  His brother responds "Well, he's in the backyard so that's fine. But if he were in the front yard, that would be a problem." 

LOL! 

MrTango

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2013, 08:18:15 AM »
I don't care what age a person is - this should apply.

Agreed.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2013, 08:39:31 AM »
Personally, while I wouldn't go without shoes in a public bathroom, I don't care if someone else does. It's not going to impact me, and if they want to take that risk, it's their choice. I do get a bit tired of the endless mandates we put in place to protect people from themselves.

The no shirt thing in a restaurant does bother me. It's a civilization thing. And a respect thing. I think a minimal covering in a place where people are eating is required. I know it's a little kid, but I also just don't want to see it, and don't want to set the standard that it's okay. I can certainly see situations where a shirt got ruined, but it seems like that's an odd time to stop in at a sit down restaurant. That might be where I would suggest getting a box to go, and going to a park to eat.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

LeveeWoman

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2013, 09:23:38 AM »
The thing about not wearing shoes is the possibility someone will step on something that will wind up being the subject of a lawsuit, potentially raising the prices of food or even the closing of the restaurant.

Lynnv

« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2013, 09:28:43 AM »
I don't care much about the shoes.  Sure-it is icky, but it isn't my feet getting all icky.  If the restaurant doesn't like it, then it is up to them to do something about it.  Honestly a lot of shoes provide less foot protection than the average pair of socks, and those don't bother me either.  So I am not one to get up in arms about bare feet.

But the shirt is a basic.  People should be appropriately covered in public.  And that includes kids.  Sure-a babycan get away with a onesie where an adult would probably not wear one, but adequate coverage is just a basic that should not be ignored no matter the age of the patron.

If there was some clothing emergency, then they should have gone through a drive up or something like that and have a picnic lunch instead of going into a sit down place.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2013, 09:44:15 AM »
Everybody needs a shirt.  Shoes are needed only if the person is walking.  If someone in a wheelchair came in and was only wearing socks or even in bare feet, I don't think they should be refused service.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Asharah

« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2013, 10:11:39 AM »
Don't some kids go through a stage where they hate shoes? Either act like a kicking banshee when somebody tries to put them on, or else take them off as soon as Mom turns her back. Some caregivers may decide it's easier to just carry the barefoot kid everywhere than fight a losing battle constantly putting the shoes back on.
Asharah

Tabby Uprising

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2013, 10:26:14 AM »
We always try to have an extra change of clothes in Little Upstart's diaper bag.  They may not match, but he's not too fashion conscious fortunately!

We live in TX, so I understand hot days, but restaurants usually have the a/c blasting and can be downright cold.  (Especially movie theaters when I always need to bring a jacket).

cwm

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »
Whenever I take Sproglet, even for an afternoon, I have two changes of clothes and at least three bibs. That girl is a drool factory! She may or may not keep her shoes on, but if she's not wearing shoes, she's not walking anywhere. And the only place she's allowed to be without a full outfit is home. Sis will not let her in public without being fully dressed.

I can see a small kid going without shoes or socks. Sproglet, until recently, would get out of anything on her feet. Sis and I would swear she'd even manage to get out of duct tape wrapped around them if she didn't want it there. But she also knew that no shoes meant she wasn't walking anywhere and wouldn't be let down.

Millionaire Maria

• Truth and Happiness create each other.
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2013, 11:41:18 AM »
People of all ages should be dressed. Babies that are small enough to remain in their carseat can be in pajamas and don't need shoes. Anyone who is walking around needs to have shoes on.
People everywhere enjoy believing in things they know are not true. It spares them the ordeal of thinking for themselves and taking responsibility for what they know. –Brooks Atkinson

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2013, 11:59:08 AM »
As I have understood it, the 'No shirts, no shoes, no service' rule was intended to exclude hairy-chested guys in speedos who would look naked and very unappetizing sitting at a table.

I remember a clam bar from the 1970s that offered a free glass  wine with dinner. The place  had a big sign in the window, 'No shirt on you, no wine on the house'.

Until this thread I never thought about young children but it makes sense.  Anyone who can walk should be wearing shoes if only for their own protection.  Shirts at the table also make things look a bit nicer.     

Betelnut

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2013, 12:06:48 PM »
At places like Chick-fil-a, kids are running around everywhere without their shoes (if they have been in the playground).  Lack of shoes isn't bothersome to me but a shirt?  Yeah, that's needed at every age.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2013, 12:48:16 PM »
People of all ages should be dressed. Babies that are small enough to remain in their carseat can be in pajamas and don't need shoes. Anyone who is walking around needs to have shoes on.

This.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

cwm

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2013, 01:04:09 PM »
On a related note, when I worked at a fast food/ice cream place, we'd have people coming in all the time in just a swimsuit and flip flops. Technically, yes, they were covered, but I never could get a firm answer as to whether or not it was policy to allow them. I can see a full swimsuit not being a problem, especially with shorts thrown over it, but teens were coming in wearing an eensy weensy tiny little bikini with a super short miniskirt over it, hiding absolutely nothing, and without a shirt.

What do you think?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2013, 01:10:37 PM »
On a related note, when I worked at a fast food/ice cream place, we'd have people coming in all the time in just a swimsuit and flip flops. Technically, yes, they were covered, but I never could get a firm answer as to whether or not it was policy to allow them. I can see a full swimsuit not being a problem, especially with shorts thrown over it, but teens were coming in wearing an eensy weensy tiny little bikini with a super short miniskirt over it, hiding absolutely nothing, and without a shirt.

What do you think?

Right on the beach?  I'd serve them.  Away from the beach, I'd probably be looking for them to put something on unless it was a walk up window outside.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario